Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 2004
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
Foreigner C. J. Cherryh (DAW 0-7564-0251-4, Dec 2004, $6.99, 428pp, pb, cover by Michael Whelan) [Foreigner] Reissue (DAW 1994) SF novel, first in the eponymous series. This tenth Anniversary edition has a new introduction by Cherryh, and indicates first printing.
Forge of Heaven C. J. Cherryh (HarperCollins/Eos 0-380-97903-9, Jun 2004, $24.95, 405pp, hc, cover by Bob Eggleton) [Gene Wars] SF novel, the second volume of The Gene Wars after Hammerfall.
Forge of Heaven C. J. Cherryh (SFBC #65606, Jun 2004, $12.49, 405pp, hc, cover by Bob Eggleton) [Gene Wars] Reprint (Eos 2004) SF novel, the second volume of The Gene Wars after Hammerfall. This lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
The Sword of Knowledge C. J. Cherryh, Mercedes Lackey, Nancy Asire & Leslie Fish (Baen 0-7434-9875-5, Jan 2005, $24.00, 809pp, hc, cover by Gary Ruddell) [Sword of Knowledge] Reprint (Baen 1995) omnibus of three novels (all Baen 1989) in the shared world originated by C.J. Cherryh: A Dirge for Sabis with Leslie Fish, Wizard Spawn with Nancy Asire, and Reap the Whirlwind with Mercedes R. Lackey.
The Queens Knight Deborah Chester (Ace 0-441-01225-6, Dec 2004, $7.99, 360pp, pb, cover by Michael Herring) [Sword, the Ring, and the Chalice] Fantasy novel, sixth in a series begun with The Sword, the Ring, and the Chalice trilogy.
Realm of Light Deborah Chester (Ace 0-441-01172-1, Apr 2004, $7.50, 395pp, pb, cover by Dan Craig) [Ruby Throne] Reissue (Ace 1997) fantasy novel, third in the Ruby Throne trilogy. Second printing.
Reign of Shadows Deborah Chester (Ace 0-441-01166-7, Feb 2004, $7.50, 344pp, pb, cover by Dan Craig) [Ruby Throne] Reissue (Ace 1996) fantasy novel, first in the Ruby Throne trilogy. Second printing.
Shadow War Deborah Chester (Ace 0-441-01169-1, Mar 2004, $7.50, 390pp, pb, cover by Dan Craig) [Ruby Throne] Reissue (Ace 1997) fantasy novel, second in the Ruby Throne trilogy. Second printing.
Great Ghost Stories ed. R. Chetwynd-Hayes & Stephen Jones (Carroll & Graf 0-7867-1363-1, Jul 2004, $13.00, 326 + xxiii, tp, cover by Michael Gesinger) Anthology of 25 ghost stories selected from books in the Fontana Book of Great Ghost Stories series edited by the late Chetwynd-Hayes. Foreword by Jones; introduction by Chetwynd-Hayes. Authors include Stephen King, Garry Kilworth, F. Marion Crawford, and E. Nesbit.
- xi · Foreword · Stephen Jones · fw
- xv · Introduction · R. Chetwynd-Hayes · in
- 1 · The Four-Fifteen Express · Amelia B. Edwards · nv Routledges Christmas Annual, 1867, 1866
- 31 · On the Brighton Road · Richard Middleton · ss The Ghost Ship, Unwin, 1912
- 35 · The Moonlit Road · Ambrose Bierce · ss Cosmopolitan Jan 07
- 45 · The Whittakers Ghost · G. B. S. · ss Argosy (UK), 1879
- 55 · The Leaden Ring · S. Baring-Gould · ss A Book of Ghosts, London: Methuen, 1904
- 71 · The Tapestried Chamber · Sir Walter Scott · ss The Keepsake, 1829, 1828
- 87 · Ghost Stories of the Tiled House [from The House by the Churchyard] · Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu · ex London: Tinsley, 1863
- 101 · The Dead Smile · F. Marion Crawford · ss Ainslees Aug, 1899
- 125 · The Ghost of Dorothy Dingley · Daniel Defoe · ss Journal of the Plague Year, Daniel Defoe, London, 1722
- 135 · The Dead Man of Varley Grange · Anon. · ss, 1878
- 151 · John Charringtons Wedding · E. Nesbit · ss Temple Bar Sep, 1891
- 161 · The Night Walkers · Sydney J. Bounds · ss The Fifteenth Fontana Book of Great Ghost Stories, ed. R. Chetwynd-Hayes, Fontana, 1979
- 169 · Brickett Bottom · Amyas Northcote · ss In Ghostly Company, The Bodley Head, 1921
- 181 · The Water Ghost of Harrowby Hall · John Kendrick Bangs · ss Harpers Weekly Jun 27, 1891
- 189 · The Reapers Image · Stephen King · ss Startling Mystery Stories Spr 69
- 199 · Christmas Eve in the Blue Chamber · Jerome K. Jerome · ss Told After Supper, Leadenhall Press, 1891
- 207 · Housewarming · Steve Rasnic Tem · ss The Eighteenth Fontana Book of Great Ghost Stories, ed. R. Chetwynd-Hayes, Fontana, 1982
- 215 · The Ferries · Ramsey Campbell · ss The Eighteenth Fontana Book of Great Ghost Stories, ed. R. Chetwynd-Hayes, Fontana, 1982
- 231 · The Fetch · Tina Rath · ss The Nineteenth Fontana Book of Great Ghost Stories, ed. R. Chetwynd-Hayes, Fontana, 1983
- 243 · Guests from Gibbet Island · Washington Irving · ss Chronicles of Wolferts Roost and Other Papers, London: Constable, 1855
- 255 · The Tryst · Garry Kilworth · ss The Nineteenth Fontana Book of Great Ghost Stories, ed. R. Chetwynd-Hayes, Fontana, 1983
- 265 · An Apparition · Guy de Maupassant · ss, 1883
- 273 · Aunt Hester · Brian Lumley · ss The Satyrs Head and Other Tales of Terror, ed. David A. Sutton, London: Corgi, 1975
- 293 · Our Lady of the Shadows · Tony Richards · ss The Twentieth Fontana Book of Great Ghost Stories, ed. R. Chetwynd-Hayes, Fontana, 1984
- 315 · She Walks on Dry Land · R. Chetwynd-Hayes · ss Haunted Shores, ed. Peter C. Smith, London: William Kimber, 1980
The Damp Chamber and other bad places Frank Chigas (Medusa Press 0-9725324-0-4, Mar 2004, $40.00, 345pp, hc, cover by Frank Chigas) Original collection of 19 stories. Illustrated by the author. Order from Medusa Press, PO Box 458, San Carlos CA 94070; [www.medusapress.com]; add $4.00 shipping.
- 3 · The Damp Chamber · nv *
- 40 · The Space Between Two Walls · ss *
- 50 · The Return of the One · ss *
- 69 · The House of August · nv *
- 94 · And Darkness Slumbers · ss *
- 108 · Yet Another God · nv *
- 138 · She Is a Picture in Black · ss *
- 147 · The Copper Bell · nv *
- 181 · The Fourth Column · ss *
- 200 · A Face at the Window · ss *
- 204 · The Stone and the Hand That Touched It · ss *
- 213 · In the Shadow Room · nv *
- 239 · The Inheritors · nv *
- 274 · Sunflowers · ss *
- 282 · The Winter Tree · ss *
- 301 · The Girl in the Pipe · ss *
- 308 · Devil Eyes on 61 · ss *
- 325 · Seven Returned · ss *
- 330 · The People of Faces Beach · ss *
Death Match Lincoln Child (Doubleday 0-385-50670-8, Apr 2004, $24.95, 356pp, hc) SF thriller involving artificial intelligence. Perfect couples picked by a high-tech matchmaking company start committing suicide.
Isaac Asimovs Robot City, Book 5: Refuge Rob Chilson (ibooks 0-7434-8716-8, Aug 2004, $5.99, 176pp, pb) [Robot City] Reprint (Ace 1988) novelization in the series based on a concept by Asimov. Packaged and copyrighted by Byron Preiss Visual Publications.
Transformers Trilogy David Cian & Scott Ciencin (SFBC #1170391, Aug 2004, $14.99, 565pp, hc) [Transformers] Omnibus of three novelizations based on the comic-book series and new animated series: Hardwired (2003) by Ciencin, Annihilation (2003) by Cian, and Fusion (2004) by Cian. Cian is a pen name for Russell Davis. Copyrighted by Hasbro. This has ISBN 0-7394-4562-6; it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
- 1 · The Transformers Trilogy: Book 1: Hardwired · Scott Ciencin · n. ibooks, 2003
- 241 · The Transformers Trilogy: Book 2: Annihilation · David Cian · n. ibooks, 2003
- 407 · The Transformers Trilogy: Book 3: Fusion · Scott Ciencin · n. ibooks, 2004
Transformers Legends ed. David Cian (ibooks 0-7434-9791-0, Nov 2004, $7.99, 296 + viii, tp, cover by Evan Roberts) [Transformers] Original anthology of 13 stories based on the toys, comics, and new animated series. Copyrighted by Hasbro.
Charmed: Luck be a Lady Scott Ciencin (Simon Spotlight 0-689-85793-4, Jan 2004, $5.99, 214pp, pb) [Charmed] Young-adult novelization, the 22nd based on the TV show about three witches. Copyrighted by Spelling Television.
EverQuest: The Rogues Hour Scott Ciencin (CDS Books 1-59315-020-2, Jul 2004, $19.95, 298pp, hc, cover by Matt Stawicki) [EverQuest] Novelization based on the world of the online roleplaying game. Copyrighted by Sony Online Entertainment America. CDS Books, 425 Madison Avenue, New York NY 10017; 212-223-2969; [www.shopcdsbooks.com].
Transformers, Book 3: Fusion Scott Ciencin (ibooks 0-7434-7974-2, Mar 2004, $6.99, 222pp, pb) [Transformers] Novelization, the third based on the comic-book series and new animated series. Copyrighted by Hasbro.
Angel: Nemesis Scott & Denise Ciencin (Simon Spotlight 0-689-86702-6, Feb 2004, $5.99, 388pp, pb) [Angel] Novelization based on the TV show. Copyrighted by Twentieth Century Fox Film.
The Tyrant Michael Cisco (Prime Books 1-894815-86-6, May 2004, $17.95, 250pp, tp, cover by Harry O. Morris) Reprint (Prime 2003, not seen) surreal fantasy novel. A 15-year-old college student seeks a professor who found a way into the underworld and become the Tyrant. Prime Books, PO Box 36503, Canton OH 44735; [www.primebooks.com]. Sean Wallace [firstname.lastname@example.org].
The Paint in My Blood: Illustration and Fine Art Alan M. Clark (IFD Publishing 0-9671912-6-2, Dec 2004, $29.00, 151pp, tp, cover by Alan M. Clark) Art book with cover art and other paintings in full color, and comments on his work by Clark. Includes a CD with painting demonstrations and animations. A hardcover limited edition of 500 (-7-0, $49.00) and tray-cased lettered edition of 26 ($175.00) are also available. IFD Publishing, PO Box 40776, Eugene OR 97404; [www.ifdpublishing.com].
The Fallen 2: Cold Religion David Aaron Clark & David Rankin (NBM 1-56163-406-9, Jan 2005, $10.95, unpaginated, tp) [Fallen]
Bone Sprockets G. O. Clark (Dark Regions Press 1-888993-45-6, Dec 2004, $6.95, 39pp, ph, cover by Frank Wu) Chapbook collection of 30 poems. Order from Dark Regions Press, PO Box 1558, Brentwood CA 94513; [email@example.com]; [http://darkregions.hypermart.net/].
- 9 · Beans Bizarre · pm; appeared as part of a Peets Coffee & Tea ad.
- 10 · Live and Let Live · pm Star*Line v23 #4, 2000
- 11 · How to Detect a Ghost · pm Asimovs Oct/Nov, 2001
- 12 · Conditions of the Apparition · pm Lunatic Chameleon #1, 2002
- 13 · His Lady in Red · pm
- 14 · Lady Death · pm
- 15 · Coma Bride · pm Bare Bone #1, 2001
- 16 · Vicodins and Voodoo Dolls · pm
- 17 · One Last Dance Before the Oblivion Express · pm
- 18 · Dancer [Cinquain No. II] · pm Wicked Hollow #8, 2004
- 19 · Gorey · pm
- 20 · The Discovery in Roger Cormans Trunk · pm
- 21 · The Organ Donors Ashes · pm
- 22 · Mary Has a Prophetic Vision · pm Strange Horizons (online) Apr 7, 2003
- 24 · The Dead Astronaut · pm Star*Line v27 #5, 2004
- 25 · Lady Robotica · pm Bare Bone #6, 2004
- 25 · Paperweights · pm Random Realities Sum 93
- 27 · First Contact · pm
- 28 · A Not So Divine Intervention · pm
- 29 · Construction · pm Bare Bone #4, 2003
- 30 · Working the Graveyard Shift · pm Bare Bone #3, 2002
- 32 · Blinded by Good Times · pm The Magazine of Speculative Poetry Spr, 2001
- 33 · One More Before Boarding · pm Wicked Hollow #2, 2002
- 34 · Procession · pm
- 35 · Midnight Dread · pm
- 36 · Sensory Overload · pm
- 37 · Teeth · pm
- 37 · Grin · pm
- 38 · The Midnight Bird · pm
- 39 · The End · pm
The Other Side of the Lens G. O. Clark (Dark Regions Press 1-888993-38-3, Feb 2004, $6.95, 43pp, ph, cover by Marge Simon) Chapbook collection of 30 poems. Order from Dark Regions Press, PO Box 1558, Brentwood CA 94513; [firstname.lastname@example.org]; [http://darkregions.hypermart.net/].
The Adventures of Damian Koehkh, MD: Space Doctor ed. Pushman Clark (RedJack 1-892619-06-7, Jul 2004, $20.00, 140pp, tp) Collection of TV scripts and stills from an apparently fictional show supposedly produced in 1962. Introduction by the editor. Copyrighted by Heidi Lampietti. RedJack, PO Box 633, Bayside CA 95524; [www.redjack.us].
In This Skin Simon Clark (Leisure 0-8439-5157-5, Jun 2004, $6.99, 372pp, pb) Horror novel. The closed-up Luxor Dance Hall holds a dark power.
Times Eye Arthur C. Clarke & Stephen Baxter (SFBC #62611, Feb 2004, $13.99, 337pp, hc, cover by David Stevenson) [A Time Odyssey] Reprint (Del Rey 2004) SF novel, first in the series A Time Odyssey. This is similar to the Del Rey edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell Susanna Clarke (Bloomsbury USA 1-58234-416-7, Sep 2004, $27.95, 785pp, hc) [John Uskglass] Fantasy novel about the last two practicing magicians in 19th century England. A first novel.
Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell Susanna Clarke (Bloomsbury USA 1-58234-416-7, Nov 2004, $27.95, 785pp, hc) [John Uskglass] Reissue (Bloomsbury 2004) fantasy novel about the last two practicing magicians in 19th Century England. This has a red dust jacket; eighth printing.
Drum into Silence Jo Clayton & Kevin Murphy (Tor 0-812-55124-9, Feb 2004, $6.99, 399pp, pb, cover by Greg Call) [Drums of Chaos] Reprint (Tor 2002) fantasy novel, third in the Drums of Chaos trilogy, finished by Murphy after Claytons death.
Afterlife Douglas Clegg (Penguin/Onyx 0-451-41167-6, Dec 2004, $6.99, 261pp, pb) Supernatural suspense novel. Dark secrets haunt those who attended a special school for psychic children.
The Attraction Douglas Clegg (Delirium Books 1-929653-58-1, Mar 2004, $39.95, 151pp, hc, cover by Alan M. Clark) Horror novella. A roadside attraction features an Aztec mummy. This is a signed, limited edition of 500; a deluxe leatherbound edition of 26 ($175.00) is also available. Order from Delirium Books, PO Box 338, North Webster IN 46555; [www.deliriumbooks.com].
Nightmare House Douglas Clegg (Leisure 0-8439-5177-X, May 2004, $6.99, 340pp, pb) [Justin Gravesend] Reprint (CD Publications 2002, not seen) collection of two horror novellas: Nightmare House and Purity.
- 1 · Nightmare House · na CD Publications, 2002
- 219 · Purity · na CD Publications, 2002
Noise Hal Clement (Tor 0-765-31032-5, Aug 2004, $13.95, 252pp, tp, cover by John Harris) Reprint (Tor 2003) SF novel set on an ocean planet.
Things Not Seen Andrew Clements (Penguin/Puffin 0-14-240076-9, Mar 2004, $5.99, 251pp, tp, cover by Rafal Olbinski) [Things Not Seen] Reprint (Philomel 2002) young-adult fantasy novel.
Cibola James Cobb (Gale Group/Five Star 1-59414-108-8, Jan 2004, $25.95, 243pp, hc, cover by Alan M. Clark) SF novel. A 22nd-century cop gets assigned to the Cibola Project to bring a gold-bearing asteroid into near-Earth orbit. Packaged and edited by Martin H. Greenberg & Ed Gorman. Order from Five Star, 295 Kennedy Memorial Drive, Waterville ME 04901; 800-223-1244; [www.galegroup.com/fivestar].
Bones Burnt Black Stephen Euin Cobb (August Press 0-9670346-7-1, May 2004, $13.95, 227pp, tp) SF novel. Seven passengers must find a way to stop their spaceship from falling into the sun. Available from August Press, PO Box 5998, Aiken SC 29804-5998; [www.augustpress.com].
The Third Magic Molly Cochran (Tor 0-812-54512-5, Jun 2004, $7.99, 458pp, pb, cover by Tristan Elwell) [Forever King] Reprint (Forge 2003) contemporary Arthurian fantasy, third in the series begun in The Forever King by Cochran & Warren Murphy.
The Broken Sword Molly Cochran & Warren Murphy (Tor 0-812-54513-3, Jun 2004, $7.99, 468pp, pb, cover by Greg Call) [Forever King] Reissue (Tor 1997) Arthurian contemporary fantasy novel, second in the series begun in The Forever King. Second printing.
The Forever King Molly Cochran & Warren Murphy (Tor 0-812-51716-4, Jun 2004, $6.99, 402pp, pb, cover by Joe DeVito) [Forever King] Reissue (Tor 1992) Arthurian contemporary fantasy novel, first in a series. Eighth printing.
Wakefield Andrei Codrescu (Workman/Algonquin Books of Chapel Hill 1-56512-372-7, May 2004, $24.95, 288pp, hc) Satiric late-20th-century deal-with-the-devil story. A motivational speaker bargains for an extra year in which to find his true life.
Seeds of Betrayal David B. Coe (Tor 0-812-58998-X, Apr 2004, $7.99, 580pp, pb, cover by Gary Ruddell) [Winds of the Forelands] Reprint (Tor 2003) fantasy novel, second in the Winds of the Forelands tetralogy.
The Seuss, the Whole Seuss, and Nothing but the Seuss: A Visual Biography of Theodore Seuss Geisel Charles D. Cohen (Random House 0-375-82248-8, Mar 2004, $35.00, 389 + ix, hc, cover by Theodore Seuss Geisel) Art book/biography of the author and artist best known for his childrens books, but also covering his early advertising art, movies, and other works. [Theodore Geisel]
The Magical Worlds of Harry Potter: A Treasury of Myths, Legends, and Fascinating Facts David Colbert (Berkley 0-425-19891-X, May 2004, $14.00, 285pp, tp, cover by John Fordham) [Harry Potter] Reprint (Lumina Press 2001) non-fiction guide to myths and legends that play a part in the Harry Potter books. This has been expanded to include Order of the Phoenix. Illustrated by the author. [J. K. Rowling]
MechWarrior: Dark Age: Blood of the Isle Loren L. Coleman (Penguin/Roc 0-451-45988-1, Aug 2004, $6.99, 291pp, pb) [MechWarrior] Novelization, the 11th based on the computer game based on the Battletech roleplaying game. Copyrighted by WizKids.
The Artemis Fowl Files Eoin Colfer (Hyperion/Miramax 0-7868-5639-4, Oct 2004, $12.95, 187pp, hc) [Artemis Fowl] Young-adult original fantasy collection of two stories and miscellaneous information from the series about a young criminal genius.
Artemis Fowl: The Arctic Incident Eoin Colfer (Hyperion/Miramax 0-7868-5147-3, May 2004, $5.99, 398pp, pb, cover by Tristan Elwell) [Artemis Fowl] Reprint (Talk Miramax 2002) young-adult fantasy novel, second in the series.
Artemis Fowl: The Eternity Code Eoin Colfer (Hyperion/Miramax 0-7868-1493-4, May 2004, $7.99, 309pp, tp, cover by Alex Ferrari) [Artemis Fowl] Reprint (Miramax 2003) young-adult fantasy novel, third in the series about a young criminal genius.
The Supernaturalist Eoin Colfer (Hyperion/Miramax 0-7868-5148-1, May 2004, $16.95, 267pp, hc) Young-adult futuristic novel with fantastic elements. Kids with psychic abilities try to save humanity from supernatural Parasites.
The Supernaturalist Eoin Colfer (SFBC #1165068, Aug 2004, $9.99, 267pp, hc) Reprint (Miramax 2004) young-adult futuristic novel with fantastic elements. This is similar to the Miramax edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
The Wish List Eoin Colfer (Scholastic/Point 0-439-44336-9, Jul 2004, $6.99, 252pp, tp) Reprint (OBrien Press Ireland 2000) young-adult fantasy novel.
The Empty Mirror James Lincoln Collier (Bloomsbury USA 1-58234-949-5, Sep 2004, $16.95, 192pp, hc) Young-adult historical dark fantasy novel. A boy loses his reflection to a ghostly doppelganger.
Dead Mans Hand: Five Tales of the Weird West Nancy A. Collins (White Wolf/Two Wolf Press 1-58846-875-5, Oct 2004, $17.99, 319pp, tp, cover by Thom Ang) Collection of five stories, one original, of the haunted Old West. Foreword by Joe R. Lansdale.
- 6 · Foreword · Joe R. Lansdale · fw (*), 2004
- 8 · Hell Come Sundown · na *
- 72 · Lynch · na CD Publications, 1999
- 152 · Walking Wolf · na Mark V. Ziesing, 1995
- 290 · The Tortuga Hill Gangs Last Ride · nv Arvada, CO: Roadkill Press, 1991
- 310 · Calaverada · ss Skull Full of Spurs: A Roundup of Weird Westerns, ed. Jason Bovberg & Kirk Whitham, Dark Highway Press, 2000
In the Blood Nancy A. Collins (White Wolf/Two Wolf Press 1-58846-876-3, May 2004, $13.99, 260pp, tp, cover by Thom Ang) [Sonja Blue] Reprint (NAL 1992) vampire novel, second in the Sonja Blue series.
The Earthborn Paul Collins (Tor/Starscape 0-765-34199-9, Jul 2004, $5.99, 249pp, tp, cover by Jon Foster) [Earthborn] Reprint (Tor 2003) SF novel, repackaged for young adults, with a readers guide.