Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 2004
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
Shadows in the Darkness Elaine Cunningham (Tor 0-765-30970-X, Oct 2004, $23.95, 304pp, hc) [Gigi Gellman] Dark fantasy mystery novel. An ex-vice cop turns PI and runs into dark elven magic.
Defending Middle-earth Patrick Curry (Houghton Mifflin 0-618-47885-X, Oct 2004, $12.00, 198pp, tp) Reprint (Floris Books 1997) critical examination of Tolkiens works. [J. R. R. Tolkien]
The Caves of Buda Leah R. Cutter (Penguin/Roc 0-451-45972-5, Apr 2004, $6.50, 304pp, pb, cover by Mark Harrison) Contemporary fantasy novel. An old man believes his death will free a demon in Hungary.
Survival Julie E. Czerneda (DAW 0-7564-0180-1, May 2004, $23.95, 401pp, hc, cover by Luis Royo) [Species Imperative] SF novel, the first in the Species Imperative series. A scientist studying salmon is perplexed when an alien of a little-known species asks for her help saving the galaxy.
Survival Julie E. Czerneda (SFBC #65226, May 2004, $11.99, 401pp, hc, cover by Luis Royo) [Species Imperative] Reprint (DAW 2004) SF novel in the Species Imperative series. This is similar to the DAW edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Odyssey ed. Julie E. Czerneda (Fitzhenry & Whiteside/Trifolium Books 1-55244-080-X, Mar 2004, $15.95, 129 + x, tp, cover by Jean-Pierre Normand) Young-adult original anthology of six SF stories and a set of nine haiku by Laura Anne Gilman. Fiction authors include Peter Watts, Douglas Smith, and MT OShaughnessy. This is the fourth volume in the Tales from the Wonder Zone series for young readers. Introduction by Greg Bear. Illustrated by Jean-Pierre Normand. Trifolium Books, 195 Allstate Parkway, Markham, Ontario Canada L3R 4T8; [www.fitzhenry.ca].
Summoned to Destiny ed. Julie E. Czerneda (Fitzhenry & Whiteside 1-55041-861-0, Nov 2004, $18.95, 253pp, tp, cover by Kenn Brown & Chris Wren) Young-adult original anthology of eight fantasy stories, first in the Realms of Wonder series for young readers. Authors include Marie Brennan, Ed Greenwood, and Michelle West. Introduction by Tanya Huff. Fitzhenry & Whiteside, 195 Allstate Parkway, Markham Ontario L3R 4T8, Canada; [www.fitzhenry.ca].
ReVisions ed. Julie E. Czerneda & Isaac Szpindel (DAW 0-7564-0240-9, Aug 2004, $6.99, 312pp, pb, cover by Kenn Brown) Original anthology of 15 alternate-history stories looking at scientific discoveries that changed the world. Authors include Kage Baker, Peter Watts, and Cory Doctorow & Charles Stross. This is copyrighted by the editors and Martin H. Greenbergs Tekno Books.
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory Roald Dahl (Penguin/Puffin Modern Classics 0-14-240108-0, Apr 2004, $6.99, 155pp, pb, cover by Quentin Blake) [Charlie] Reissue (Knopf 1964) young-adult fantasy novel, with illustrations by Quentin Blake. This has a new ISBN and indicates first printing.
Matilda Roald Dahl (Penguin/Puffin 0-14-240253-2, Sep 2004, $6.99, 232pp, tp, cover by Quentin Blake) Reissue (Jonathan Cape 1988) young-adult novel about a girl with psychic powers, with illustrations by Quentin Blake.
Mystery for Christmas ed. Richard Dalby (ibooks 0-7434-9793-7, Nov 2004, $6.99, 292pp, pb, cover by Bob Larkin) Mystery anthology of 23 stories, 12 original, several with supernatural elements. First US edition (OMara 1990).
Whispering to Witches Anna Dale (Bloomsbury USA 1-58234-890-1, Oct 2004, $16.95, 297pp, hc, cover by Melvyn Grant) Young-adult fantasy novel. Joes Christmas break ends up anything but boring thanks to his mother and a trio of witches. A first novel. Simultaneous with the UK edition (Bloomsbury 9/04).
The Regiment John Dalmas (Baen 0-7434-8823-7, May 2004, $25.00, 751pp, hc, cover by Gary Ruddell) [Dalmas, John] Omnibus of three military SF novels in the trilogy: The Regiment (1987), The White Regiment (1990), and The Regiments War (1993). A Baen Mega Book.
- 1 · The Regiment [Regiment] · n. New York: Baen, 1987
- 255 · The White Regiment [Regiment] · n., 1990
- 511 · The Regiments War [Regiment] · n., 1993
The Second Coming John Dalmas (Baen 0-7434-8816-4, Apr 2004, $24.00, 372pp, hc, cover by Larry Elmore) Near-future fantasy novel. The worlds new savior is a black Canadian software genius.
Scarab Don DAmmassa (Gale Group/Five Star 1-59414-144-4, Apr 2004, $25.95, 269pp, hc, cover by Alan M. Clark) SF novel. Amateur detective Sandor Dyle travels to the planet Tashista to help catch a serial killer. Packaged and edited by Martin H. Greenberg & Ed Gorman. Order from Five Star, 295 Kennedy Memorial Drive, Waterville ME 04901; 800-223-1244; [www.galegroup.com/fivestar].
Superluminal Tony Daniel (HarperCollins/Eos 0-06-105143-8, May 2004, $25.95, 470pp, hc, cover by Gregory Bridges) [Metaplanetary] SF novel, sequel to Metaplanetary. The development of superluminal flight could shift the balance in the solar systems war.
Jubilee Jack Dann (Tor 0-765-30677-8, Feb 2004, $15695, 441pp, tp, cover by Jon D. Hamilton) Reprint (Voyager Australia 2001) collection of 17 stories.
The Rebel: An Imagined Life of James Dean Jack Dann (HarperCollins/Flamingo Australia 0-7322-7844-9, Apr 2004, A$29.95, 404pp, tp) Alternate history/fantasy novel about a James Dean who didnt die in 1955.
The Rebel: An Imagined Life of James Dean Jack Dann (HarperCollins/Morrow 0-380-97839-3, Aug 2004, $24.95, 401pp, hc) Alternate history/fantasy novel. First US edition (Flamingo Australia 5/04).
Song of the Earth John R. Dann (Tor/Forge 0-765-31193-3, Jan 2005, $26.95, 380pp, hc, cover by Luis Royo) [Song of the Axe] Prehistorical fantasy novel, prequel to Song of the Axe.
Shadows in Green Richard E. Dansky (Yard Dog Press 1-893687-53-8, Feb 2004, $6.00, 36pp, ph, cover by Matthew Taggart) Chapbook horror story. Order from Yard Dog Press, 710 W. Redbud Lane, Alma AR 72921-7247; [firstname.lastname@example.org]; [www.yarddogpress.com].
Doc Ardan: City of Gold and Lepers Guy dArmen, Jean-Marc & Randy Lofficier (Black Coat Press 1-932983-03-1, Aug 2004, $20.95, 254pp, tp, cover by Dean Zachary) SF adventure novel, originally published in French as La Cité de lOr et de la Lepre (serialized 1928 in Science et Voyages), now adapted and retold in English by the Lofficiers, whose introduction discusses various French heroes named Ardan (or Ardent) and the possible relationship between Ardan and Doc Savage. Order from Hollywood Comics.com, PO Box 17270, Encino CA 91416; [www.blackcoatpress.com].
The Dark: New Ghost Stories ed. Ellen Datlow (Tor 0-765-30445-7, Sep 2004, $15.95, 379pp, tp) Reprint (Tor 2003) anthology of 16 scary ghost stories.
The Years Best Fantasy and Horror: Seventeenth Annual Collection ed. Ellen Datlow, Gavin Grant & Kelly Link (St. Martins Griffin 0-312-32928-8, Aug 2004, $19.95, 562 + clv, tp, cover by Thomas Canty) Best-of-the-year anthology of 39 stories, five poems, and 155 additional pages containing a necrology by James Frenkel, summations of 2003 fantasy and horror by the editors, a media summary by Edward Bryant, a comics summary by Charles Vess, a music summary by Charles de Lint, and a manga/anime summary by Joan D. Vinge. Gavin Grant & Kelly Link replace Terri Windling as fantasy editor for the first time. Also available as a St. Martins hardcover (-32927-X, $35.95). Packaged and copyrighted by James Frenkel & Associates.
- xv · Summation 2003: Fantasy · Kelly Link & Gavin J. Grant · ar (*), 2004
- xlix · Summation 2003: Horror · Ellen Datlow · ar (*), 2004
- xciii · Media of the Fantastic: 2003 · Edward Bryant · ar (*), 2004
- cvii · Comics and Graphic Novels: 2003 · Charles Vess · ar (*), 2004
- cxvii · Anime and Manga: 2003 · Joan D. Vinge · ar (*), 2004
- cxlv · Music of the Fantastic: 2003 · Charles de Lint · ar (*), 2004
- cli · Obituaries: 2003 · James Frenkel · bi (*), 2004
- 1 · At the Mouth of the River of Bees · Kij Johnson · ss Sci Fiction website Oct 7, 2003
- 16 · Why I Became a Plumber · Sara Maitland · ss On Becoming a Fairy Godmother, The Maia Press, 2003
- 24 · Bread and Bombs · M. Rickert · ss F&SF Apr, 2003
- 35 · The Red Bow · George Saunders · ss Esquire Sep, 2003
- 44 · The Wife · Vandana Singh · ss Polyphony, Volume 3, ed. Deborah Layne & Jay Lake, Wheatland Press, 2003
- 52 · Only Partly Here · Lucius Shepard · nv Asimovs Mar, 2003
- 73 · Bone · Steve Rasnic Tem · pm The Hydrocephalic Ward, Dark Regions Press, 2003
- 75 · Old Virginia · Laird Barron · nv F&SF Feb, 2003
- 92 · A Study in Emerald [Sherlock Holmes] · Neil Gaiman · nv Shadows Over Baker Street, ed. Michael Reaves & John Pelan, Ballantine Del Rey, 2003
- 108 · You Go Where It Takes You · Nathan Ballingrud · ss Sci Fiction website Jul 16, 2003
- 119 · LAquilone du Estrellas (The Kite of Stars) · Dean Francis Alfar · ss Strange Horizons (online) Jan 6, 2003
- 127 · Harveys Dream · Stephen King · ss New Yorker Jun 30, 2003
- 135 · Woeful Tales from Mahigul · Ursula Le Guin · nv Changing Planes, Harcourt, 2003
- 150 · King Rat · Karen Joy Fowler · ss Trampoline, ed. Kelly Link, Small Beer Press, 2003
- 155 · The Hortlak · Kelly Link · nv The Dark, ed. Ellen Datlow, Tor, 2003
- 176 · With Acknowledgements to Sun Tzu · Brian Hodge · nv The Third Alternative #33, 2003
- 191 · Ash City Stomp · Richard Butner · ss Trampoline, ed. Kelly Link, Small Beer Press, 2003
- 201 · King Dragon · Michael Swanwick · na The Dragon Quintet, ed. Marvin Kaye, SFBC, 2003
- 231 · Invisible Geese: A Theory · Patrick OLeary · pm The Stars As Seen from This Particular Angle of Night, ed. Sandra Kasturi, Calgary: Red Deer Press/The Bakka Collection, 2003
- 232 · The Perfect City · Patrick OLeary · pm The Stars As Seen from This Particular Angle of Night, ed. Sandra Kasturi, Calgary: Red Deer Press/The Bakka Collection, 2003
- 235 · Bedfordshire · Peter Crowther · nv Gathering the Bones, ed. Dennis Etchison, Ramsey Campbell & Jack Dann, Tor, 2003
- 255 · N002-JK1 · Adam Corbin Fusco · ss Borderlands 5, ed. Elizabeth E. Monteleone & Thomas F. Monteleone, Borderlands Press, 2003
- 260 · Cell Call · Marc Laidlaw · ss By Moonlight Only, ed. Stephen Jones, PS Publishing, 2003
- 268 · The Fishie · Philip Raines & Harvey Welles · ss Lady Churchills Rosebud Wristlet #12, 2003
- 286 · Hunger: A Confession · Dale Bailey · ss F&SF Mar, 2003
- 297 · Mr. Sly Stops for a Cup of Joe · Scott Emerson Bull · ss Gathering the Bones, ed. Dennis Etchison, Ramsey Campbell & Jack Dann, Tor, 2003
- 304 · The Baby in the Night Deposit Box · Megan Whalen Turner · nv Firebirds, ed. Sharyn November, Penguin/Firebird, 2003
- 318 · Lamentation over the Destruction of Ur · Paul LaFarge · ss Politically Inspired, ed. Stephen Elliott, MacAdam/Cage Publishing, 2003
- 332 · The Silence of the Falling Stars · Mike ODriscoll · nv The Dark, ed. Ellen Datlow, Tor, 2003
- 349 · At the Mythical Beast · Jon Woodward · pm Mister Goodbye Easter Island, Jon Woodward, Alice James Books, 2003
- 352 · The Fluted Girl · Paolo Bacigalupi · nv F&SF Jun, 2003
- 372 · The Brief History of the Dead · Kevin Brockmeier · ss New Yorker Sep 8, 2003
- 383 · Flotsam · Nina Kiriki Hoffman · nv Firebirds, ed. Sharyn November, Penguin/Firebird, 2003
- 407 · The Bees · Dan Chaon · ss McSweeneys Mammoth Treasury of Thrilling Tales, ed. Michael Chabon, Vintage Books, 2003
- 421 · Dancing Men · Glen Hirshberg · nv The Dark, ed. Ellen Datlow, Tor, 2003
- 447 · Lily, with Clouds · Theodora Goss · ss Alchemy Win, 2003
- 453 · The Man Who Did Nothing · Karen Traviss · ss Realms of Fantasy Jun, 2003
- 468 · Husband · Shelley Jackson · ss The Paris Review #164, 2003
- 475 · Open Doors · Michael Marshall Smith · ss More Tomorrow & Other Stories, Earthling Publications, 2003
- 482 · The Valley of Giants · Benjamin Rosenbaum · ss Argosy Magazine Jan/Feb, 2004
- 486 · Purity · Thomas Ligotti · ss Weird Tales Spr, 2003
- 499 · Ancestor Money · Maureen F. McHugh · ss Sci Fiction website Oct 1, 2003
- 511 · Final Girl II: The Frame · Daphne Gottlieb · pm Final Girl, Soft Skull Press, 2003
- 513 · Almost Home · Terry Bisson · nv F&SF Oct/Nov, 2003
The Faery Reel: Tales from the Twilight Realm ed. Ellen Datlow & Terri Windling (Viking 0-670-05914-5, Jun 2004, $19.99, 528pp, hc, cover by Charles Vess) Original YA/adult crossover anthology of 17 stories and three poems, a follow-up to The Green Man. Preface by Datlow & Windling; introduction on the folklore of fairies by Windling. Authors include Tanith Lee, Patricia A. McKillip, Nina Kiriki Hoffman, and Gregory Maguire. Illustrated by Charles Vess.
The Faery Reel: Tales from the Twilight Realm ed. Ellen Datlow & Terri Windling (SFBC #1166682, Aug 2004, $9.99, 528pp, hc, cover by Charles Vess) Reprint (Viking 2004) original YA/adult crossover anthology of 17 stories and three poems. This is similar to the Viking edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
The Green Man: Tales from the Mythic Forest ed. Ellen Datlow & Terri Windling (Penguin/Firebird 0-14-240029-7, Apr 2004, $8.99, 384pp, tp, cover by Charles Vess) Reprint (Viking 2002) original YA/adult crossover anthology of 15 stories and three poems.
Before the Cradle Falls James F. David (Tor 0-765-34215-4, May 2004, $6.99, 375pp, pb) Reprint (Forge 2002) SF thriller.
Passion for Dead Leaves John David (1stBooks 1-4107-2049-7, Feb 2003, $11.50, 355pp, tp) [Enemies of Society] SF thriller, the Third Episode of the Enemies of Society series. This is dated 2003, but not seen until now; a print-on-demand book, available online at [www.1stbooks.com]; 800-839-8640.
Send in the Swords John David (1stBooks 1-4107-1876-X, Feb 2003, $11.50, 365pp, tp) [Enemies of Society] SF thriller, the Fourth Episode of the Enemies of Society series. This is dated 2003, but not seen until now; a print-on-demand book, available online at [www.1stbooks.com]; 800-839-8640.
One Knight Only Peter David (Ace 0-441-01174-8, Jul 2004, $7.99, 373pp, pb, cover by Tristan Elwell) [Knight Life] Reprint (Ace 2003) contemporary Arthurian fantasy novel, sequel to Knight Life.
Spider-Man 2 Peter David (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-47054-0, May 2004, $6.99, 311pp, pb) [Spider-Man] Novelization based on the screenplay of the movie based on the Marvel comic-book character. Copyrighted by Columbia Pictures Industries.
Spider-Man 2 Peter David (SFBC #1165444, Jun 2004, $10.99, 311pp, hc) [Spider-Man] Reprint (Del Rey 2004) novelization based on the screenplay of the movie based on the Marvel comic-book character. Copyrighted by Columbia Pictures Industries. This has ISBN 0-7394-4451-4; it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Star Trek New Frontier: After the Fall Peter David (Pocket 0-7434-9184-X, Nov 2004, $24.00, 329pp, hc, cover by Jerry Vanderstelt) [Star Trek New Frontier] Star Trek novelization. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures.
Star Trek New Frontier: Stone and Anvil Peter David (Pocket 0-7434-9618-3, Oct 2004, $6.99, 360pp, pb) [Star Trek: New Frontier] Reprint (Pocket 2003) Star Trek novelization. This lacks the bound-in CD-ROM. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures.
Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson (Berkley Sensation 0-425-19485-X, Mar 2004, $5.99, 255pp, pb) [Betsy, Queen of the Vampires] Humorous vampire romance/chick-lit novel. Vampires think newly dead Betsy Taylor is their queen, but shes more interested in her designer shoes.
The World of Tolkien: Mythological Sources of The Lord of the Rings David Day (Random House/Gramercy 0-517-22317-1, 2003, $14.99, 184pp, hc, cover by Tim Clarey) Non-fiction, reference, a discussion of possible roots for Tolkiens works in myths and history from around the world. Extensively illustrated, but artists are not credited. An index is included. This is dated 2003, but not seen until now; an instant remainder edition. First US edition (Mitchell Beazley 2003). [J. R. R. Tolkien]
Walker of Worlds Tom De Haven (ibooks 0-7434-9779-1, Nov 2004, $6.99, 342pp, pb, cover by Luis Royo) [Chronicles of the Kings Tramp] Reprint (Doubleday Foundation 1990) fantasy novel, first book of the Chronicles of the Kings Tramp.
The Blue Girl Charles de Lint (Penguin/Viking 0-670-05924-2, Oct 2004, $17.99, 368pp, hc, cover by Cliff Nielsen) [Newford] Young-adult contemporary fantasy novel set in de Lints town of Newford. Rebellious teen Imogene tries to remake herself when her family moves to Newford, but the supernatural gets in the way.
The Harp of the Grey Rose Charles de Lint (Penguin/Firebird 0-14-240060-2, Jan 2004, $6.99, 277pp, tp, cover by Cliff Nielsen) [Cerin Songweaver] Reprint (Starblaze 1985) fantasy novel of Cerin the Songweaver, repackaged for young adults.
Ill Be Watching You Charles de Lint (Tor/Orb 0-765-30435-X, Mar 2004, $13.95, 351pp, tp, cover by John Picacio) Reprint (Jove 1994 as by Samuel M. Key) dark fantasy novel.