Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 2004
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
Fions Daughters Brenna Lyons (Zumaya Publications/eXtasy Books 1-55410-070-4, Jul 2004, $15.00, 320pp, tp, cover by Martine Jardin) [Kegin] Erotic fantasy fix-up novel/omnibus, book one of Kegin according to the cover, although inside the two parts, Schente Night and Fions Daughter, are labeled books one and four in the series, both revised and expanded from previous electronic editions. This is a print-on-demand book, available online at [www.extasybooks.com].
Machina Jonathan Lyons (Double Dragon Publishing 1-55404-179-1, Nov 2004, $14.99, 178pp, tp, cover by Deron Douglas) Metaphysical SF novel. This is a print-on-demand edition, available online at [www.double-dragon-ebooks.com] or from Double Dragon Publishing, PO Box 54016, I-5762 Highway 7 East, Markham ON L3P 7Y4, Canada.
There and Back Again: In the Footsteps of J.R.R. Tolkien Matthew Lyons (Globe Pequot Press/Cadogan Guides, The 1-86011-139-4, May 2004, $14.95, 207pp, tp) Non-fiction, a travel book about places in England known to Tolkien which may have influenced his works. This is the Cadogan edition, distributed in the US by The Globe Pequot Press, 246 Goose Lane, PO Box 480, Guilford CT 06437-0480. [J. R. R. Tolkien]
The Micronauts: The Time Traveler Trilogy: Book 3 Steve Lyons (ibooks 0-7434-7917-3, Mar 2004, $6.99, 286pp, pb, cover by Bob Larkin) [Micronauts: Time Traveler Trilogy] Novelization based on the toys. Packaged by Byron Preiss Visual Publications; copyrighted by Takara/Abrams Gentile Entertainment.
X-Men: The Legacy Quest Trilogy Steve Lyons (ibooks 0-7434-9340-0, Nov 2004, $17.95, 661pp, tp, cover by David Rabbitte) [X-Men] Reprint (SFBC 2003) omnibus of the three novelizations based on the comic-book characters, all 2002. Packaged by Byron Preiss Visual Publications; copyrighted by Marvel Characters.
The Secret of Shabaz Jennifer Macaire (Medallion Press 1-932815-09-0, Aug 2004, $12.99, 313pp, tp, cover by Adam Mock) Young-adult fantasy novel. The unicorn Shabaz gives up his horn for a magic to save his mistress and her infant from the Dark Lord. Medallion Press, 225 Seabreeze Ave., Palm Beach FL 33480; [www.medallion press.com].
Sex and the Single Vampire Katie MacAlister (Dorchester/Love Spell 0-505-52554-2, Mar 2004, $6.99, 371pp, pb) Vampire romance. Summoner Allegra Telford seeks a ghost and finds a handsome vampire.
Total Silence T. J. MacGregor (Kensington/Pinnacle 0-7860-1558-6, Oct 2004, $6.99, 384pp, pb) [Black Water] Horror novel, sequel to Black Water. Psychic Mira Morales, her daughter, and her FBI agent fiancé face a killer in North Carolina.
Pendragon: Black Water D. J. MacHale (Simon & Schuster/Aladdin 0-689-86911-8, Aug 2004, $5.99, 427pp, tp, cover by Victor Lee) [Bobby Pendragon] Young-adult fantasy novel, the fifth in the series about Bobby Pendragon and his multi-dimensional fight against evil. The Traveler rules change, and Bobby must decide whether or not to break them to save a worlds inhabitants.
Star Trek, the Next Generation: A Time to Heal David Mack (Pocket 0-7434-9178-5, Sep 2004, $6.99, 344pp, pb) [Star Trek, the Next Generation] Star Trek novelization. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures.
Star Trek, the Next Generation: A Time to Kill David Mack (Pocket 0-7434-9177-7, Aug 2004, $6.99, 341pp, pb) [Star Trek, the Next Generation] Star Trek novelization. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures.
Omnifix Scott Mackay (Penguin/Roc 0-451-45960-1, Feb 2004, $6.99, 408pp, pb) SF novel. Dr. Alex Denyer works deactivating deadly alien weapons.
Alien in a Bottle Kathy Mackel (HarperCollins 0-06-029281-4, Mar 2004, $15.99, 194pp, hc, cover by Martin Matje) Young-adult SF novel. A teen determined to become a glassblower gets alien help persuading his parents.
Dreadful Delineations John Maclay (Delirium Books 1-929653-61-1, Jan 2004, $45.00, 210pp, hc, cover by Mike Bohatch) Collection of 30 stories, five original. Introduction by William F. Nolan. This is a signed, limited edition of 250. Order from Delirium Books, PO Box 338, North Webster IN 46555; [www.deliriumbooks.com].
- 5 · Mr. Baltimore · William F. Nolan · in *
- 9 · Just a Closer Walk with Thee · ss Borderlands 3, ed. Thomas F. Monteleone, Borderlands Press, 1993
- 15 · Models · ss Scare Care, ed. Graham Masterton, Tor, 1989
- 18 · A Younger Woman · ss Borderlands, ed. Thomas F. Monteleone, Avon, 1990
- 28 · The Final Order · ss Grue #19 99
- 40 · True · vi 14 Vicious Valentines, ed. Rosalind M. Greenberg, Martin H. Greenberg & Charles G. Waugh, Avon, 1988
- 45 · Labor Relations · vi Pulphouse #17 94
- 49 · Good News for Hemorrhoid Sufferers · ss Delirium #4, 2001
- 57 · In The Wilderness · ss Etchings & Odysseys #7 85
- 62 · Late Last Night · ss Night Screams, ed. Ed Gorman & Martin H. Greenberg, Roc, 1996
- 71 · Tanning · ss Etchings & Odysseys #5 84
- 76 · Venus, 1986 · ss Gem Aug 86
- 83 · Dont Go in There · ss Palace Corbie #6 95
- 89 · Sentinels · ss *
- 95 · Head Case · ss, 2001
- 101 · Who Walks at Night · ss The Horror Show Sum 86
- 107 · A Childhood Memory · vi Deathrealm Sum 89
- 110 · Black Stockings · ss Pulphouse: The Hardback Magazine Issue 5, ed. Kristine Kathryn Rusch, Pulphouse, 1989
- 118 · The Reckoning · vi Other Engagements, Madison, WI: Dream House, 1987
- 121 · Meat Men · ss Mindwarps, Maclay & Associates, 1992
- 128 · Pigeons · ss *
- 134 · A Matter of Firing · ss Stalkers, ed. Ed Gorman & Martin H. Greenberg, Arlington Heights, IL: Dark Harvest, 1989
- 141 · Locking Up · vi Night Cry Fll 86
- 145 · New York Night · ss Other Engagements, Madison, WI: Dream House, 1987
- 154 · Lynn · ss *
- 163 · Stakeout · ss Night Tales, self published, 1999
- 179 · If Its All the Same to You · ss Grue #7 88
- 189 · The Presidents Body · ss *
- 193 · The One Thing to Fear [Fear Itself] · ss Footsteps #7 86
- 200 · New Hire · ss *
- 206 · Dark Stretch of Road · ss Grue #3 86
Breathmoss and Other Exhalations Ian R. MacLeod (Golden Gryphon Press 1-930846-26-6, Jun 2004, $24.95, 309 + x, hc, cover by Bob Eggleton) Collection of seven stories, with an introduction by the author. A signed, numbered, slipcased edition of 100 ($100.00) is also available. Order from Golden Gryphon Press, 3002 Perkins Road, Urbana IL 61802; [www.goldengryphon.com].
- · Breathmoss [Ten Thousand and One Worlds] · na Asimovs May, 2002
- · Verglas · na F&SF Oct/Nov 96
- · The Chop Girl · nv Asimovs Dec 99
- · The Noonday Pool · nv F&SF May 95
- · New Light on the Drake Equation · na Sci Fiction website May 2, 2001
- · Isabel of the Fall · ss Interzone Jul, 2001
- · The Summer Isles · na Asimovs Oct/Nov 98
The Light Ages Ian R. MacLeod (Ace 0-441-01149-7, Apr 2004, $14.00, 456pp, tp, cover by Steve Stone) [Light Ages] Reprint (Ace 2003) fantasy novel set in an industrial England powered by magic.
Newtons Wake Ken MacLeod (Tor 0-765-30503-8, Jun 2004, $24.95, 316pp, hc, cover by Stephan Martiniere) Far-future SF adventure novel. First US edition (Orbit 3/04).
Newtons Wake Ken MacLeod (SFBC #1164292, Jun 2004, $12.49, 316pp, hc, cover by Stephen Martiniere) Reprint (Orbit 2004) SF novel. This is similar to the Tor edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
A Couple of April Fools Gregory Maguire (Houghton Mifflin/Clarion 0-618-27474-X, Apr 2004, $16.00, 182pp, hc, cover by Elaine Clayton) [Hamlet Chronicles] Young-adult fantasy, sixth in the series begun in Seven Spiders Spinning set in Hamlet, Vermont. Miss Earth goes missing on April Fools day. Illustrated by Elaine Clayton.
Leaping Beauty: and other animal fairy tales Gregory Maguire (HarperCollins 0-06-056417-2, Aug 2004, $15.99, 197pp, hc, cover by Chris L. Demarest) Childrens collection of eight fractured fairy tales with animals in the title roles. Illustrated by Chris L. Demarest.
- 1 · Leaping Beauty · ss *
- 23 · Goldiefox and the Three Chickens · ss *
- 41 · Hamster and Gerbil · ss *
- 67 · So What and the Seven Giraffes · ss *
- 105 · Little Red Robin Hood · ss *
- 127 · The Three Little Penguins and the Big Bad Walrus · ss *
- 145 · Cinder-Elephant · ss *
- 173 · Rumplesnakeskin · ss *
Mirror Mirror Gregory Maguire (HarperCollins/ReganBooks 0-06-098865-7, Oct 2004, $14.95, 283pp, tp, cover by Douglas Smith) Reprint (ReganBooks 2003) historical fantasy novel, a version of Snow White set in 16th-century Italy. This includes a readers discussion guide.
Wicked Gregory Maguire (HarperCollins/Regan Books 0-06-074590-8, Mar 2004, $15.00, 409pp, tp) [Oz] Reprint (Regan Books 1995) literary fantasy Oz novel, subtitled The life and times of the Wicked Witch of the West. This is a musical tie-in edition with 16 color pages of photos.
Alchemy Margaret Mahy (Simon Pulse 0-689-85054-9, Aug 2004, $7.99, 207pp, tp, cover by Kamil Vojnar) Reprint (Flamingo UK 2002) young-adult fantasy novel.
Starhawk: Storm over Saturn Mack Maloney (Ace 0-441-01191-8, Sep 2004, $6.50, 296pp, pb, cover by Michael Herring) [Starhawk] Far-future SF novel, fifth in the series. Maloney is a pen name for Brian Kelleher.
On Account of Darkness and Other SF Stories Barry N. Malzberg & Bill Pronzini (Gale Group/Five Star 1-59414-038-3, Feb 2004, $25.95, 272pp, hc, cover by Charles Bernard) Collection of 25 stories, 20 collaborative, one by Malzberg, and four by Pronzini. The authors preface discusses their collaborative process. Packaged and edited by Martin H. Greenberg & Ed Gorman. Order from Five Star, 295 Kennedy Memorial Drive, Waterville ME 04901; 800-223-1244; [www.galegroup.com/fivestar].
- 9 · Preface · Bill Pronzini & Barry N. Malzberg · pr
- 13 · On Account of Darkness · Bill Pronzini & Barry N. Malzberg · ss F&SF Nov 77
- 19 · A Clone at Last · Bill Pronzini & Barry N. Malzberg · vi F&SF Oct 78
- 21 · Do I Dare to Eat a Peach? · Bill Pronzini & Barry N. Malzberg · ss Galileo #17 80
- 29 · On the Nature of Time · Bill Pronzini & Barry N. Malzberg · vi Amazing Sep 81
- 35 · Night Rider · Bill Pronzini & Barry N. Malzberg · ss AHMM Jun 77
- 49 · Opening a Vein · Bill Pronzini & Barry N. Malzberg · vi Shadows #3, ed. Charles L. Grant, Doubleday, 1980
- 51 · Reading Day · Bill Pronzini & Barry N. Malzberg · ss Chrysalis 5, ed. Roy Torgeson, Zebra, 1979
- 55 · Fascination · Bill Pronzini & Barry N. Malzberg · ss F&SF Aug 80
- 65 · The Lyran Case [Lunar Immigration] · Bill Pronzini & Barry N. Malzberg · vi Analog Mar 80
- 70 · Whither Thou, Ghost [Lunar Immigration] · Bill Pronzini & Barry N. Malzberg · ss F&SF May 81
- 77 · Vanishing Point [Lunar Immigration] · Bill Pronzini & Barry N. Malzberg · ss Analog Feb 1 82
- 89 · Out of Quarantine · Bill Pronzini & Barry N. Malzberg · vi IASFM Nov/Dec 78
- 93 · Shakespeare MCMLXXXV · Bill Pronzini & Barry N. Malzberg · ss F&SF Nov 82
- 100 · In Our Image · Bill Pronzini & Barry N. Malzberg · vi F&SF Feb 81
- 104 · Another Burnt-Out Case · Bill Pronzini & Barry N. Malzberg · ss Fantastic Oct 78
- 119 · Inaugural · Bill Pronzini & Barry N. Malzberg · vi Galaxy Nov 76
- 122 · The Last One Left · Bill Pronzini & Barry N. Malzberg · ss F&SF Jan 80
- 128 · Coming Again · Bill Pronzini & Barry N. Malzberg · vi F&SF Jun 75
- 130 · Multiples · Bill Pronzini & Barry N. Malzberg · ss Tricks and Treats, ed. Joe Gores & Bill Pronzini, Doubleday, 1976
- 136 · Prose Bowl · Bill Pronzini & Barry N. Malzberg · nv F&SF Jul 79
- 171 · Final War [as by K. M. ODonnell] · Barry N. Malzberg · nv F&SF Apr 68
- 211 · Epitaph · Bill Pronzini · ss Amazing Mar 83
- 227 · Toy · Bill Pronzini · ss Shadows #8, ed. Charles L. Grant, Doubleday, 1985
- 233 · The Rec Field · Bill Pronzini · ss Chrysalis 6, ed. Roy Torgeson, Zebra, 1980
- 242 · The Hungarian Cinch · Bill Pronzini · nv Arena: Sports SF, ed. Edward L. Ferman & Barry N. Malzberg, Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1976
The Best Time Travel Stories of All Time ed. Barry N. Malzberg (ibooks 0-7434-8660-9, Mar 2004, $7.99, 440pp, pb, cover by Ralf Heimisch) Reprint (ibooks 2003) anthology of 15 stories. This drops the 16-page graphic adaptation of a story by Ray Bradbury.
Move Under Ground Nick Mamatas (Night Shade Books 1-892389-91-6, Apr 2004, $25.00, 185pp, hc, cover by Alex L. Fradkin) Lovecraftian Beat road novel. A first novel. A signed limited edition (-92-4, $45.00) is also available.
The Urban Bizarre ed. Nick Mamatas (Prime Books 1-930997-40-X, Feb 2004, $15.00, 178pp, tp, cover by Jenni Tapanila) Original anthology of 14 stories. Authors include Michael Hemmingson, Charlie Anders, and Heather Shaw & Tim Pratt. A hardcover edition (-39-6, $27.95) is also available. Order from Prime Books, PO Box 36503, Canton OH 44735; [www.primebooks.net].
Horror and Mystery Photoplay Editions and Magazine Fictionizations Thomas Mann (McFarland 0-7864-1393-X, Mar 2004, $35.00, 212 + x, hc) Non-fiction, reference, a bibliography of a collection of over 500 photoplay or movie edition books and stories published before 1970. The titles, either movie tie-in reprints or new novelizations, include some fantasy and SF films as well as horror and mystery. A lengthy illustrated introduction and index are included. Order from McFarland & Company, Box 611, Jefferson NC 28640; credit card orders 800-253-2187; [www.mcfarlandpub.com]; add $4.00 postage.
Twilight Rising, Serpents Dream Diana Marcellas (Tor 0-312-87482-0, Aug 2004, $27.95, 493pp, hc, cover by Tristan Elwell) [Mother Ocean, Daughter Sea] Fantasy novel, third in a trilogy begun in Mother Ocean, Daughter Sea.
The Devils Armor John Marco (DAW 0-7564-0203-4, Nov 2004, $7.99, 732pp, pb, cover by David Bowers) [Eyes of God] Reprint (DAW 2003) fantasy novel, sequel to The Eyes of God.
Dark Back of Time Javier Marías (New Directions 0-8112-1570-9, Jun 2004, $16.95, 336pp, tp) Reprint (New Directions 2001) mainstream novel with elements of fantasy/magical realism. Translated from the Spanish Negra espalda del tiempo (Ediciones Alfaguara 1998) by Esther Allen.
Foxmask Juliet Marillier (Tor 0-765-30674-3, Aug 2004, $27.95, 464pp, hc, cover by Kinuko Y. Craft) [Saga of the Light Isles] Viking fantasy novel, second of two in The Saga of the Light Isles. First US edition (Pan Macmillan Australia 8/03).
Wolfskin Juliet Marillier (Tor 0-765-30673-5, Feb 2004, $15.95, 493pp, tp, cover by Kinuko Craft) [Saga of the Light Isles] Reprint (Macmillan Australia 8/02) fantasy novel, first of two in The Saga of the Light Isles.
Wolfskin Juliet Marillier (Tor 0-765-34590-0, Aug 2004, $7.99, 519pp, pb, cover by Kinuko Craft) [Saga of the Light Isles] Reprint (Macmillan Australia 8/02) fantasy novel, first of two in The Saga of the Light Isles.
Angel: Love and Death Jeff Mariotte (Simon Spotlight Entertainment 0-689-87085-X, Oct 2004, $5.99, 295pp, pb) [Angel] Novelization based on the TV show. Copyrighted by Twentieth Century Fox Film.
Charmed: Survival of the Fittest Jeff Mariotte (Simon Spotlight Entertainment 0-689-86852-9, Sep 2004, $5.99, 227pp, pb) [Charmed] Young-adult novelization, the 26th based on the TV show about three witches. Copyrighted by Spelling Television.
Witch Season: Fall Jeff Mariotte (Simon Pulse 0-689-86724-7, Oct 2004, $5.99, 292pp, pb, cover by Michael Frost) [Witch Season] Young-adult dark fantasy novel, second in a series of four.
Witch Season: Summer Jeff Mariotte (Simon Pulse 0-689-86665-8, Jul 2004, $5.99, 301pp, pb) [Witch Season] Young-adult dark fantasy novel, first in a series of four. A witch named Season threatens Kerry and her friends.
Useful Idiots Jan Mark (Random House/Fickling 0-385-75023-4, Aug 2004, $15.95, 409pp, hc) Young-adult SF novel set in 2255. A grad student investigates a human skull found in physically and culturally eroded Great Britain. First US edition (Fickling UK 4/04).
Earth Logic Laurie J. Marks (Tor 0-765-30952-1, Mar 2004, $25.95, 400pp, hc, cover by Julie Bell) [Elemental Logic] Fantasy novel, second in the Elemental Logic series after Fire Logic. Earth witch Karis refuses to take her place as Shaftals new ruler without a sign.
Fire Logic Laurie J. Marks (Tor 0-812-56653-X, Mar 2004, $6.99, 359pp, pb, cover by Charles Keegan) [Elemental Logic] Reprint (Tor 2002) fantasy novel. Remnant forces try to retake their country from brutal conquerors.
The Child Goddess Louise Marley (Ace 0-441-01136-5, May 2004, $23.95, 324pp, hc, cover by John Jude Palencar) SF novel. An anthropologist/priest is sent to the planet Virimund, where certain children do not age.
The Maquisarde Louise Marley (Ace 0-441-01107-1, May 2004, $6.99, 385pp, pb, cover by Chris Cocozza) Reprint (Ace 2002) near-future SF novel. A musician leaves her privileged life to fight her governments lies.
Nano John Robert Marlow (Tor/Forge 0-765-30129-6, Feb 2004, $25.95, 381pp, hc) SF thriller of nanotech run amok. Marlow provides an afterword and appendix on the real dangers of nanotech. A first novel.
World of Darkness: Vampire: Gehenna: The Final Night Ari Marmell (White Wolf 1-58846-855-0, Jan 2004, $7.99, 346pp, pb, cover by William OConnor) [World of Darkness: Time of Judgment] Novelization based on the roleplaying game, the first volume in the Time of Judgment trilogy. Copyrighted by White Wolf.
The Upright Man Michael Marshall (Jove 0-515-13638-7, Apr 2004, $6.99, 360pp, pb) [Straw Men] Suspense novel with SF elements, sequel to The Straw Men. The author also writes as Michael Marshall Smith.
Sleeping with Schubert Bonnie Marson (Random House 1-4000-6041-9, Jun 2004, $21.95, 380pp, hc, cover by Dieter Braun) Humorous ghost story. The composer takes up residence in a Brooklyn lady lawyers mind to tie up loose ends.
Dying of the Light George R. R. Martin (Bantam Spectra 0-553-38308-6, Oct 2004, $15.00, 254pp, tp) Reprint (Simon & Schuster 1977) SF novel.
Fevre Dream George R. R. Martin (Bantam Spectra 0-553-38305-1, Oct 2004, $15.00, 334pp, tp) Reprint (Poseidon 1982) vampire novel.
Tuf Voyaging George R. R. Martin (SFBC #1165076, Jun 2004, $12.99, 440pp, hc, cover by Michael Komarck) [Haviland Tuf] Reprint (Baen 1986) collection/quasi-novel of seven linked stories. This is similar to the 2003 Meisha Merlin edition; it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
The Hedge Knight George R. R. Martin, Ben Avery & Mike S. Miller (Dabel Brothers 1-932796-06-1, Jun 2004, $14.95, unpaginated, tp, cover by Boris Vallejo & Julie Bell) [Song of Ice and Fire] Graphic novel adaptation of Martins novella in the Song of Ice and Fire series, adapted by Avery with art by Miller. This also has a new graphic story by Martin. Foreword by Robert Silverberg.
Wild Cards 2: Aces High ed. George R. R. Martin (ibooks 0-7434-7934-3, Mar 2004, $7.99, 361pp, pb, cover by Brian Bolland) [Wild Cards] Reprint (Bantam Spectra 1987) shared-world anthology of superhero stories. Martins 2001 introduction is now the afterword.