Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 2004
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
Fantastic Art: The Best of Luis Royo Luis Royo (NBM 1-56163-398-4, Jul 2004, $45.00, 240pp, hc, cover by Luis Royo) Art book. Text by Antonio Altarriba.
Visions Luis Royo (SFBC #61656, Feb 2004, $19.99, 79pp, hc, cover by Luis Royo) Reprint (NBM 2003) art book combining sketches and finished works of fantastic art. The jacket lacks both price and SFBC number.
Werewolf Peter Rubie (ibooks 0-7434-9792-9, Oct 2004, $6.99, 272pp, pb, cover by Bruce Jensen) Reprint (Longmeadow 1991) horror novel.
Frek and the Elixir Rudy Rucker (Tor 0-765-31058-9, Apr 2004, $27.95, 476pp, hc, cover by Shelley Eshkar) SF novel. Genetically unmodified teen Frek Huggins, a freak in the biotech utopia of 3003, seeks an elixir to save Earth.
Charmed: The Brewing Storm Paul Ruditis (Simon Spotlight 0-689-86851-0, Jul 2004, $5.99, 234pp, pb) [Charmed] Young-adult novelization, the 25th based on the TV show about three witches. Copyrighted by Spelling Television.
Star Trek: Enterprise: Shockwave Paul Ruditis (Pocket 0-7434-6456-7, Jul 2004, $6.99, 305pp, pb, cover by John Blackford) [Star Trek: Enterprise] Reprint (Pocket 2002) Star Trek novelization based on an episode of the TV show. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures.
Imaginings: An Anthology of Visionary Literature: Volume One: After the Myths Went Home ed. Stefan Rudnicki (North Atlantic/Frog 1-58394-094-4, Jan 2004, $14.95, 237 + xiv, tp) Anthology of 12 stories, two poems, and two pieces from plays, about mythic beings. Introduction by Harlan Ellison. Authors include Robert Silverberg, John Crowley, Algernon Blackwood, and R.A. Lafferty.
- ix · Introduction: Lofty Ambitions · Harlan Ellison · in
- · Part One: THE MYTHS WE LIVE BY
- 3 · A youth in apparel that glittered... from The Black Riders · Stephen Crane · ex
- 5 · After the Myths Went Home · Robert Silverberg · ss F&SF Nov 69
- 17 · Novelty · John Crowley · ss Interzone #5 83
- 39 · Pan and the Fire-Bird · Sam M. Steward · ss Pan and the Fire-Bird, 1930
- 49 · Murderer, The Hope of All Women · Oskar Kokoschka; trans. by Stefan Rudnicki · ss, 2003
- 59 · The Touch of Pan · Algernon Blackwood · nv Day and Night Stories, Cassell, 1917
- 87 · The Lost Thyrsus · Oliver Onions · ss
- 107 · I am Dionysus... from the play The Bacchae, 405 BCE · Euripides · ex
- · Part Two: OTHER MYTHS
- 113 · A Noiseless Patient Spider from Whispers of Heavenly Death · Walt Whitman · pm
- 115 · Mystery Train  · Lewis Shiner · ss Love in Vain, 2001
- 127 · Continued on Next Rock · R. A. Lafferty · nv Orbit 7, ed. Damon Knight, G.P. Putnams, 1970
- 157 · Diary of a God · Barry Pain · ss Stories in the Dark, Grant Richards, 1901
- 167 · New York City in the 1930s from The Repairer or Reputations · Robert W. Chambers · ex The King in Yellow, New York & Chicago: F. Tennyson Neely, 1895
- 175 · The Yellow Sign · Robert W. Chambers · nv The King in Yellow, New York & Chicago: F. Tennyson Neely, 1895
- 201 · An Inhabitant of Carcosa · Ambrose Bierce · ss San Francisco Newsletter Dec 25, 1886
- 207 · The Horla, or Modern Ghosts · Guy de Maupassant · nv Gil Blas Oct 26, 1886
Set This House in Order Matt Ruff (HarperCollins/Perennial 0-06-095485-X, Feb 2004, $14.95, 481pp, tp) Reprint (HarperCollins 2003) fantasy novel about a man with multiple personalities. A Tiptree Award winner.
Sewer, Gas, & Electric Matt Ruff (Grove 0-8021-4155-2, Oct 2004, $14.00, 450pp, tp, cover by Elaine A. Cardella) Reprint (Atlantic Monthly 1997) near-future post-literary SF novel.
Alberich and Friends Ian Runcie (Trafford Publishing 1-41202-628-8, Aug 2004, $16.50, 145pp, tp) Fantasy novel based on Wagners Ring Cycle. This is a print-on-demand edition, available online at [www.trafford.com], or from Trafford Publishing, Suite 6E, 2333 Government St., Victoria BC V8T 4P4.
Consequences Kristine Kathryn Rusch (Penguin/Roc 0-451-45971-7, Apr 2004, $6.50, 370pp, pb, cover by Greg Bridges) [Retrieval Artist] SF novel, the third set in the world of The Retrieval Artist. A Retrieval Artists clients death may be tied to an ongoing war with mysterious aliens.
The Art of the Lord of the Rings Gary Russell (Houghton Mifflin 0-618-51083-4, Nov 2004, $19.95, 224pp, tp) [Middle-Earth] Art book, reprinting some of the best works from the three volumes on the individual films, plus unpublished works selected by the artists. Members of the production crew and artists (including Alan Lee and John Howe) provide commentary on individual pieces and the creative process. Simultaneous with the UK (HarperCollins) edition. A hardcover edition (-51098-2, $35.00) was announced but not seen.
The Lord of the Rings: The Art of The Return of the King Gary Russell (Houghton Mifflin 0-618-43029-6, Jan 2004, $35.00, 224pp, hc) [Middle-Earth] Art book. Simultaneous with the UK (HarperCollins UK).
The Twilight Zone: Memphis/The Pool Guy Jay Russell (BL Publishing/Black Flame US 1-84416-130-7, Jun 2004, $7.99, 404pp, pb) [Twilight Zone] Omnibus/original collection of two novelizations based on the TV show: Memphis and The Pool Guy. Copyrighted by New Line Cinema. Simultaneous with the Black Flame UK edition.
- 5 · Memphis · na *; based on the teleplay by Eriq La Salle.
- 201 · The Pool Guy · na *; based on the teleplay by Hans Beimler.
The Sparrow Mary Doria Russell (Ballantine/Fawcett 0-449-91255-8, Nov 2004, $14.95, 408pp, tp, cover by Giotto di Bondone) Reissue (Villard 1996) first contact novel. This is a Readers Circle edition. 17th printing.
The Shadow Roads Sean Russell (HarperCollins/Eos 0-380-97491-6, Nov 2004, $25.95, 433pp, hc, cover by Stephen Hickman) [Swans War] Fantasy novel, book three in the Swans War trilogy.
The Legend of Holly Claus Brittney Ryan (HarperCollins 0-06-058511-0, Oct 2004, $16.99, 533pp, hc, cover by Laurel Long) Young-adult fantasy. Santa Clauss daughter seeks a cure for her curse in Victorian New York. Illustrated by Laurel Long. Part of The Julie Andrews Collection.
Van Helsing Kevin Ryan (Pocket Star 0-7434-9354-0, May 2004, $6.99, 261pp, pb) Movie novelization. Copyrighted by Universal Studios Licensing.
Air Geoff Ryman (St. Martins Griffin 0-312-26121-7, Sep 2004, $14.95, 390pp, tp) SF novel. A new communications technology called Air arrives at a remote village.
Lust Geoff Ryman (St. Martins Griffin 0-312-31212-1, Aug 2004, $14.95, 400pp, tp, cover by Lian Force) Reprint (Flamingo 2001) satirical fantasy novel.
Berserker Man Fred Saberhagen (Baen 0-7434-9878-X, Oct 2004, $22.00, 680pp, hc, cover by Kurt Miller) [Berserker] Omnibus of four novels in the Berserker series: Brother Assassin (1969), Berserkers Planet (1975), Berserker Man (1979), and The Berserker Throne (1985). A Baen Mega HC.
- · Brother Assassin · n. New York: Ballantine, 1969
- · Berserkers Planet · n. New York: DAW, 1975
- · Berserker Man · n. New York: Ace, 1979
- · The Berserker Throne · n. Sword and Sorceress, ed. Marion Zimmer Bradley, DAW, 1985
Berserker Prime Fred Saberhagen (Tor 0-765-34543-9, Jan 2005, $6.99, 396pp, pb, cover by Paul Youll) [Berserker] Reprint (Tor 2004) SF novel in the Berserkers series.
Berserkers Star Fred Saberhagen (Tor 0-765-34321-5, Mar 2004, $6.99, 366pp, pb, cover by Paul Youll) [Berserker] Reprint (Tor 2003) SF novel in the Berserkers series.
Rogue Berserker Fred Saberhagen (Baen 0-7434-9873-9, Jan 2005, $22.00, 281pp, hc, cover by Kurt Miller) [Berserker] SF novel in the Berserker series.
A Perilous Power E. Rose Sabin (Tor/Starscape 0-765-34760-1, Sep 2004, $5.99, 276pp, tp, cover by Marilee Heyer) [School for Sorcery] Reprint (Tor 2004) fantasy novel, second in a series about a school for magic users, packaged for young readers. Includes a 10-page readers guide.
When the Beast Ravens E. Rose Sabin (Tor 0-765-30858-4, Jan 2005, $23.95, 287pp, hc, cover by Vince Natale) [School for Sorcery] Fantasy novel, the third in the series begun in A School for Sorcery.
Edenborn Nick Sagan (Putnam 0-399-15186-9, Aug 2004, $19.95, 311pp, hc) [Idlewild] Post-holocaust SF thriller, sequel to Idlewild. The posthuman survivors of the Black Ep plague are divided about the path their new society should take.
Idlewild Nick Sagan (Penguin/NAL 0-451-21206-1, Jun 2004, $12.95, 278pp, tp, cover by Stephanie Huntwork) [Idlewild] Reprint (Putnam 2003) SF thriller of plague and virtual reality.
The SF Book of Days Don Sakers (Speed-of-C Productions 0-9716-1476-8, Jan 2004, $14.99, 177pp, tp) Non-fiction, a datebook with fictional and factual information for every day, even some that dont exist, taken from SF, fantasy, and comics. This is a print-on-demand edition, available online from [www.scatteredworlds.com], or from Speed-of-C Productions, PO Box 265, Linthicum MD 21090-0265.
Forgotten Realms: Exile R. A. Salvatore (Wizards of the Coast 0-7869-3126-4, Jun 2004, $25.95, 333pp, hc, cover by Todd Lockwood) [Forgotten Realms: Legend of Drizzt] Reprint (TSR 1990) novelization based on the roleplaying game. Second volume in The Legend of Drizzt series; originally published as book two of the Dark Elf trilogy. Introduction by Matthew Woodring Stover. Copyrighted by Wizards of the Coast.
Forgotten Realms: Homeland R. A. Salvatore (Wizards of the Coast 0-7869-3123-X, Mar 2004, $25.95, 329pp, hc, cover by Todd Lockwood) [Forgotten Realms: Dark Elf Trilogy] Reprint (TSR 1990) novelization based on the roleplaying game. First volume in the Dark Elf trilogy in The Legend of Drizzt series. This has a new introduction by Ed Greenwood, and an afterword-interview with Salvatore. Copyrighted by Wizards of the Coast.
Forgotten Realms: Paths of Darkness Collectors Edition R. A. Salvatore (Wizards of the Coast 0-7869-3155-8, Feb 2004, $27.95, 1166pp, hc, cover by Daren Bader) [Forgotten Realms: Paths of Darkness] Omnibus of four novelizations in the series based on the fantasy roleplaying game: The Silent Blade (1998), The Spine of the World (1999), Servant of the Shard (2000), and Sea of Swords (2001). Copyrighted by Wizards of the Coast.
- · The Silent Blade · n. TSR, 1998
- · The Spine of the World · n. TSR, 1999
- · Servant of the Shard · n. Wizards of the Coast, 2000
- · Sea of Swords · n. Wizards of the Coast, 2001
Forgotten Realms: Sojourn R. A. Salvatore (Wizards of the Coast 0-7869-3081-0, Dec 2004, $25.95, 335pp, hc, cover by Todd Lockwood) [Forgotten Realms: Dark Elf Trilogy; Forgotten Realms: Legend of Drizzt] Reprint (TSR 1991) novelization based on the roleplaying game, with a new introduction by Margaret Weis and afterword by Salvatore. Third volume in the Dark Elf Trilogy and in The Legend of Drizzt series. Copyrighted by Wizards of the Coast.
Forgotten Realms: The Lone Drow R. A. Salvatore (SFBC #63132, Jan 2004, $12.99, 346pp, hc, cover by Todd Lockwood) [Forgotten Realms: Hunters Blades] Reprint (Wizards of the Coast 2003) novelization based on the fantasy roleplaying game. Book two in The Hunters Blades trilogy. This is similar to the WotC edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Forgotten Realms: The Lone Drow R. A. Salvatore (Wizards of the Coast 0-7869-3228-7, Jun 2004, $7.99, 370pp, pb, cover by Todd Lockwood) [Forgotten Realms: Hunters Blades] Reprint (Wizards of the Coast 2003) novelization based on the fantasy roleplaying game. Book two in The Hunters Blades trilogy. Copyrighted by Wizards of the Coast.
Forgotten Realms: The Thousand Orcs R. A. Salvatore (Wizards of the Coast 0-7869-2980-4, Oct 2004, $7.99, 367pp, pb, cover by Todd Lockwood) [Forgotten Realms: Hunters Blades] Reissue (Wizards of the Coast 2002) novelization based on the fantasy roleplaying game. Book one in The Hunters Blades trilogy. Copyrighted by Wizards of the Coast. Second printing.
Forgotten Realms: The Two Swords R. A. Salvatore (Wizards of the Coast 0-7869-3360-7, Oct 2004, $25.95, 339pp, hc, cover by Todd Lockwood) [Forgotten Realms: Hunters Blades] Novelization based on the fantasy roleplaying game. Book three in The Hunters Blades trilogy. Copyrighted by Wizards of the Coast.
The Highwayman R. A. Salvatore (CDS Books 1-59315-016-4, Mar 2004, $25.95, 372pp, hc, cover by Todd Lockwood) [Chronicles of Corona] Fantasy novel, the first book of the Chronicles of Corona set long before the Demon Wars. Includes an original story of Drizzt DoUrden. CDS Books, 425 Madison Avenue, New York NY 10017; [www.shopcdsbooks.com].
Immortalis R. A. Salvatore (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-44123-0, Mar 2004, $7.99, 589pp, pb, cover by Matt Stawicki) [Demon Wars] Reprint (Del Rey 2003) fantasy novel, third and final in the Second DemonWars Saga.
Spearwielders Tale R. A. Salvatore (Ace 0-441-01194-2, Sep 2004, $16.00, 662pp, tp, cover by Matt Stawicki) [Spearwielders Tale] Omnibus of three fantasy novels in the trilogy: The Woods Out Back (1993), The Dragons Dagger (1994), and Dragonslayers Return (1995).
- 1 · The Woods Out Back · n. New York: Ace, 1993
- 239 · The Dragons Dagger · n. New York: Ace, 1994
- 453 · Dragonslayers Return · n. New York: Ace, 1995
Star Wars: The New Jedi Order: Vector Prime R. A. Salvatore (Ballantine Del Rey LucasBooks 0-345-47933-5, Oct 2004, $4.99, 398pp, pb, cover by Cliff Nielsen) [Star Wars: New Jedi Order] Reissue (Del Rey LucasBooks 1999) Star Wars novelization. Copyrighted by Lucasfilm. Second printing.
Double-Dare to Be Scared Robert D. San Souci (Cricket Books 0-8126-2716-4, May 2004, $15.95, 170pp, hc, cover by David Ouimet) Young-adult original collection of 13 horror stories. Illustrated by David Ouimet.
- 1 · Campfire Tale · ss *
- 10 · Best Friends · ss *
- 21 · The Quilt · ss *
- 36 · Circus Dreams · ss *
- 57 · Rosalie · ss *
- 74 · Mountain Childers · ss *
- 89 · Class Cootie · ss *
- 99 · Half-past Midnight · ss *
- 110 · Laughter · ss *
- 123 · Click-Clack · ss *
- 132 · Daddy Boogey · ss *
- 145 · Grey · ss *
- 159 · Gulp! · ss *
Scholastic Bookfiles: A Reading Guide to The Giver by Lois Lowry Jeannette Sanderson (Scholastic 0-439-46356-4, Jul 2003, $4.99, 64pp, tp) Young-adult reference, a guide to the YA SF novel and its author, with an interview with Lowry, bibliography, and suggestions for further reading. [Lois Lowry]
Fantastic Literature ed. David Sandner (Greenwood Press/Praeger 0-275-98053-7, Jul 2004, $59.95, 357 + xiii, hc) Non-fiction anthology of 35 essays on fantasy by authors ranging from Plato to China Miéville, including Samuel Taylor Coleridge, Sigmund Freud, H.P. Lovecraft, Ursula K. Le Guin, Gary Wolfe, and John Clute. There is an index. Order from Greenwood Press, 88 Post Road West, Box 5007, Westport CT 06881; 800-225-5800; [www.greenwood.com].
The Double José Saramago (Harcourt 0-15-101040-4, Oct 2004, $25.00, 325pp, hc, cover by Claudine G. Mansour) Literary, semi-allegorical novel with possible fantasy elements. A man discovers he has an exact double. Translated from the Portuguese O Homen Duplicado (Editorial Caminho 2002) by Margaret Jull Costa. First US edition (Harvill 8/04).
Eye of Flame: Fantasies Pamela Sargent (Gale Group/Five Star 1-59414-064-2, Dec 2003, $25.95, 256pp, hc, cover by John Jude Palencar) Collection of nine fantasy stories. Introduction by Chelsea Quinn Yarbro. Packaged and edited by Martin H. Greenberg & Ed Gorman. Order from Five Star, 295 Kennedy Memorial Drive, Waterville ME 04901; 800-223-1244; [www.galegroup.com/fivestar].
- 9 · Pamela Sargent, Writer · Chelsea Quinn Yarbro · in
- 13 · The Broken Hoop · ss Twilight Zone Jun 82
- 31 · The Souls Shadow · nv F&SF Dec 86
- 70 · Ringer · nv More Phobias, ed. Wendy Webb, Richard Gilliam, Edward E. Kramer & Martin H. Greenberg, Pocket Books, 1995
- 97 · Bond and Free · nv F&SF Jun 74
- 125 · Big Roots · nv Return to the Twilight Zone, ed. Carol Serling & Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, 1994
- 152 · The Shrine · ss Twilight Zone Dec 82
- 166 · The Leash · ss Twilight Zone Apr 87
- 179 · Outside the Windows · ss Journeys to the Twilight Zone, ed. Carol Serling & Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, 1993
- 194 · Eye of Flame · na Warrior Enchantresses, ed. Kathleen M. Massie-Ferch & Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, 1996
The Shore of Women Pamela Sargent (BenBella Books 1-932100-36-9, Nov 2004, $14.95, 469pp, tp, cover by Jael) Reprint (Crown 1986) SF novel. This has a new introduction by Catherine Asaro. BenBella Books, 6440 N. Central Expressway, Suite 508, Dallas TX 75206; [www.benbellabooks.com].
Thumbprints Pamela Sargent (Golden Gryphon Press 1-930846-29-0, Oct 2004, $25.95, 281 + xiii, hc, cover by Jill Bauman) Collection of 12 stories, one original. Introduction by James Morrow. Order from Golden Gryphon Press, 3002 Perkins Road, Urbana IL 61802; [www.goldengryphon.com].
- · How Sargent Peppers Phony Arts Dubbed Grand · James Morrow · in *
- · Gather Blue Roses · ss F&SF Feb 72
- · Out of Place · ss Twilight Zone Oct 81
- · Climb the Wind · nv Asimovs Mar 94
- · Originals · nv Universe 15, ed. Terry Carr, Doubleday, 1985
- · Erdenis Tiger · na Ancient Enchantresses, ed. Kathleen M. Massie-Ferch, Martin H. Greenberg & Richard Gilliam, DAW, 1995
- · If Ever I Should Leave You · ss Starshadows, Ace, 1977; revised from Worlds of If Jan/Feb 74
- · Spirit Brother · ss Conqueror Fantastic, ed. Pamela Sargent, DAW, 2004
- · Amphibians · nv Asimovs Jun 95
- · Venus Flowers at Night · na Microcosms, ed. Gregory Benford, DAW, 2004
- · Shrinker · nv IASFM Nov 83
- · Thumbprints · ss *
- · Utmost Bones · ss Envisioning the Future: Science Fiction and the Next Millennium, Wesleyan University Press, 2003
- · Afterword · aw *
Conqueror Fantastic ed. Pamela Sargent (DAW 0-7564-0191-7, Apr 2004, $6.99, 318pp, pb) Original anthology of 13 fantasy alternate-history stories. Authors include Paul Di Filippo, Jack Dann, George Alec Effinger, and Michaela Roessner. This is copyrighted by Sargent and Martin H. Greenbergs Tekno Books.
Ancient Exhumations +2 Stanley C. Sargent (Elder Signs Press 0-9759229-0-4, Jul 2004, $14.00, 200pp, tp, cover by David Alan Ross) Reprint (Mythos Books 1999, not seen) collection of nine horror stories, most in the Lovecraftian Mythos; this corrected second edition adds two stories, one original. Preface by Robert M. Price; introduction by Peter Worthy. Elder Signs Press, PO Box 389, Lake Orion MI 48361-0389; [www.eldersignspress.com].
- ix · Preface · Robert M. Price · pr
- x · Authors Preface and Acknowledgements · pr
- xv · Introduction · Peter Worthy · in
- 17 · The Rattle of Her Smile · nv Ancient Exhumations, Mythos Books, 1999
- 42 · Dark Demonize · nv Ancient Exhumations, Mythos Books, 1999
- 65 · The Hoppwood Tenant · ss The NetherReal Horror Cyberzine website Sep 97
- 76 · The Black Massif · ss *
- 109 · The Tale of Toad Loop · ss Nightscapes #6 98
- 122 · When the Stars Are Ripe · ss Nightscapes #5 97
- 141 · The Paladin of Worms · nv Ancient Exhumations, Mythos Books, 1999
- 165 · Self-Correcting Mechanism · ss Cosmic Visions website Jan 97
- 182 · Famine Wood · ss Strange Tales of Mystery and Terror #8, 2003
Hallows Eve Al Sarrantonio (Leisure 0-8439-5175-3, Oct 2004, $6.99, 326pp, pb) [Orangefield] Horror novel in the Orangefield series. Photographer Corrie Phaeder returns in disgrace to his home town and gets caught up in its Halloween horror.