! Copyright (c) 1999 by William G. Contento >
Books, Listed by Author
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 2005
Books, Listed by Author
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
- YOUNG, ISABEL ADOMAKOH; see pseudonym Zizou Corder (chron.)
- YOUNG, KAREN ROMANO (chron.)
- * _Cobwebs (HarperTempest/Greenwillow 0-06-441028-5, Aug 2005, $7.99, 388pp, tp, cover by Simon Chow) Reprint (Greenwillow 2004) young-adult fantasy about a teen coming into her hereditary spider-like talents.
- YOUNG, LOUISA; see pseudonym Zizou Corder (chron.)
- YUNQUÉ, EDGARDO VEGA (1936?-2008) (chron.)
- * _The Lamentable Journey of Omaha Bigelow into the Impenetrable Loisaida Jungle (HarperCollins/Rayo 0-06-084680-1, Jan 2006, $13.95, 345pp, tp) Reprint (Overlook Press 2004) mainstream novel with fantasy elements. Laid-off loser Omaha Bigelow finds a girl with an array of powers to cure his problems.
- ZAHN, TIMOTHY (1951- ) (stories) (chron.)
- * *Blackcollar (Baen 1-4165-0925-9, Jan 2006, $25.00, hc, cover by David Mattingly) [Blackcollar] Omnibus of two SF novels in the Blackcollar series: The Blackcollar (1983) and Blackcollar: The Backlash Mission (1986). (Contents)
- * *Dragon and Slave (Tor/Starscape 0-765-30126-1, Jun 2005, $17.95, 300pp, hc, cover by Jon Foster) [Dragonback Adventures] SF novel, the third novel in the Dragonback Adventures series about a teen and his dragonlike alien symbiote.
- * *Dragonback Bargain (SFBC #1193326, Aug 2005, $14.99, 597pp, hc, cover by A. C. Farley) [Dragonback Adventures] Omnibus of three SF novels in the Dragonback series about a teen on the run and his dragonlike alien symbiote: Dragon and Thief (2003), Dragon and Soldier (2004), and Dragon and Slave (2005). This has ISBN 0-7394-5609-1; it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket. (Contents)
- * _The Green and the Gray (Tor 0-765-34645-1, Oct 2005, $7.99, 541pp, pb, cover by Jim Burns) Reprint (Tor 2004) SF novel. Fighting breaks out among alien refugees living disguised as humans in NYC.
- * *Night Train to Rigel (Tor 0-765-30716-2, Oct 2005, $24.95, 349pp, hc, cover by Jim Burns) [Night Train to Rigel] SF thriller. A former government agent is recruited by enigmatic aliens hoping to prevent interstellar war.
- * _Night Train to Rigel (SFBC #1197740, Nov 2005, $12.50, 349pp, hc, cover by Jim Burns) [Night Train to Rigel] Reprint (Tor 2005) SF novel. This is similar to the Tor edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
- * _Star Wars: Survivors Quest (Random House UK/Arrow 0-09-947263-5, Feb 2005, £6.99, iv+460pp, pb, cover by Steven D. Anderson) Reprint (Century 2004) SF novelization.
- ZAKOUR, JOHN (stories) (chron.)
- * *The Radioactive Redhead (with Lawrence Ganem) (DAW 0-7564-0282-4, Dec 2005, $6.99, 355pp, pb, cover by Michael Koelsh) [Zachary Nixon Johnson] Humorous SF mystery, third in the series featuring PI Zach Johnson. Networks start a new reality show: Lets Kill Zach.
- ZAMBRENO, MARY FRANCES (1954- ) (stories) (chron.)
- * *Invisible Pleasures (American Fantasy 0-9610352-4-2, Dec 2005, $25.00, 241 + xii, hc, cover by Douglas Klauba) Collection of 18 stories, four original, with introductions to each describing their genesis. Introduction by Jane Yolen. Order from American Fantasy Press, 919 Tappan Street, Woodstock IL 60098; [www.american-fantasy.com]. (Contents)
- ZEDDIES, ANN TONSOR (1951- ) (chron.)
- * *Blood and Roses (Phobos Impact 0-9720026-7-7, Nov 2005, $14.95, 285pp, tp) SF adventure novel set in the 1920s. Jayne Taylor goes from driving for bootleggers to battling aliens in Japan.
- ZELAZNY, ROGER (Joseph Christopher) (1937-1995) (stories) (chron.)
- * _The Doors of His Face, The Lamps of His Mouth (ibooks 1-59687-142-3, Nov 2005, $14.95, 510pp, tp, cover by Lebbeus Woods) Reissue (ibooks 2001) omnibus of two SF collections, The Doors of His Face, The Lamps of His Mouth (1971) and Four for Tomorrow (Ace 1967). Copyrighted by Amber Limited; packaged by Byron Preiss Visual Publications.
- * _The Second Chronicles of Amber (SFBC #1185164, Apr 2005, $17.99, 900pp, hc, cover by Stephen Hickman) [Amber] Reprint (Avon Eos 1999 as part of The Great Book of Amber) omnibus of Amber novels 6-10: Trumps of Doom (1985), Blood of Amber (1986), Sign of Chaos (1987), Knight of Shadows (1989), and Prince of Chaos (1991). This special SFBC edition has ISBN 0-7394-5184-7; it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
- ZETTEL, SARAH (1966- ) (chron.)
- * _Camelots Honour (HarperCollins UK 0-00-715869-6, May 2005, £12.99, 436pp, tp, cover by Larry Rostant) [Two Ravens Saga] Reprint (Luna 2005 as For Camelots Honor) fantasy novel. Arthurian fantasy novel, second in The Two Ravens Saga. [First U.K. edition]
- * _Camelots Shadow (HarperCollins UK 0-00-717109-9, May 2005, £6.99, 416pp, pb, cover by Larry Rostant) [Two Ravens Saga] Reprint (Luna 2004 as In Camelots Shadow) fantasy novel. Book One of The Two Ravens Saga, based on the legend of Gawain and the Green Knight.
- * _The Firebirds Vengeance (Tor 0-765-34723-7, Jul 2005, $7.99, 468pp, pb, cover by Romas Kukalis) [Isavalta] Reprint (Voyager 2004) fantasy novel.
- * _For Camelots Honor (Harlequin/Luna 0-373-80218-8, Apr 2005, $13.95, 506pp, tp) [Paths to Camelot] Historical Arthurian fantasy novel, second in a series.
- * _In Camelots Shadow (Harlequin/Luna 0-373-81112-8, Jul 2005, $6.99, 505pp, pb) [Paths to Camelot] Reprint (Luna 2004) historical Arthurian fantasy novel, first in a series.
- ZEVIN, GABRIELLE (chron.)
- * *Elsewhere (Farrar Straus Giroux 0-374-32091-8, Sep 2005, $16.00, 279pp, hc) Young-adult fantasy. A dead teen finds herself in a place where she ages backwards until she can be reborn on Earth.
- * *Elsewhere (Bloomsbury 0-7475-7700-5, Sep 2005, £12.99, 271pp, hc) Young-adult fantasy novel. Simultaneous with the US (Farrar, Straus & Giroux) edition. A dead teen finds herself in an afterlife where existence counts down to life. A trade paperback (OME) edition (-8034-0) was announced but not seen.
- ZICREE, MARC SCOTT (1955- ) (chron.)
- ZIMBARDO, ROSE A(bdelnour), ed. (1932- ) (chron.)
- ZIMMERMAN, HOWARD, ed. (chron.)
- ZINDEL, PAUL (1936-2003) (chron.)
- * _Loch (Hyperion 0-7868-5150-3, Aug 2005, $5.99, 209pp, tp, cover by Wayne McLoughlin) Reissue (HarperCollins 1994) young-adult horror novel about prehistoric beasts in a remote Vermont lake. This is a supposedly revised edition originally scheduled for 2004, but retains the original copyright.
- ZINDELL, DAVID (1952- ) (stories) (chron.) (assoc.)
- * *Black Jade (HarperCollins/Voyager 0-00-224760-7, Jun 2005, £14.99, ii+728pp, tp, cover by Geoff Taylor) [Ea Cycle] Fantasy novel, book three in the Ea Cycle. A hardcover edition (-224759-3, £18.99) was announced but not seen.
- ZIVKOVIC, ZORAN (1948- ) (stories) (chron.)
- * *Hidden Camera (Dalkey Archive Press 1-56478-412-6, Nov 2005, $13.95, 217pp, tp) Fantasy novel, translated from the Serbian Skrivena Kamera (Polaris 2003) by Alice Copple-Tosic. An undertaker becomes convinced hes an unwilling reality-show participant.
- _____, ed.
- * *The Devil in Brisbane (Wildside Press/Prime Books 0-8095-5086-5, Oct 2005, $15.00, 230pp, hc, cover by K. J. Bishop) Original anthology of 30 stories by participants at Zivkovics masterclass writing workshop at the Brisbane Writers Festival 2004. Order from Prime Books, PO Box 301, Holicong PA 18928; [www.primebooks.net]. (Contents)
- ZWEIBEL, ALAN (chron.)
- * *The Other Shulman (Random House/Villard 1-4000-6266-7, Jun 2005, $23.95, 289pp, hc) Satiric novel with fantasy elements. An unsuccessful man loses weight enough to make another person, and it does, an annoyingly successful doppelganger.
Next -- Table-of-Contents