Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 2007
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
The Nymph King Gena Showalter (Harlequin/HQN 978-0-373-77188-2, Feb 2007, $6.99, 373pp, pb) [Atlantis] Paranormal romance novel in the Atlantis series.
Red Handed Gena Showalter (Pocket/MTV Books 978-1-4165-3224-8, Jun 2007, $13.00, 262pp, tp) Young-adult SF romance novel, the first in a series. Phoenix Germaine gets in trouble when she tries a drug originally invented to stop aliens invading Earth and ends up recruited by the Alien Investigation and Removal Agency.
Savor Me Slowly Gena Showalter (Pocket Star 978-1-4165-3163-0, Jan 2008, $6.99, 371pp, pb, cover by Cliff Nielsen) [Alien Huntress] SF romance novel, third in the Alien Huntress series. Cyborg undercover operative Mishka LeAce falls for the agent she rescues, but her own programming threatens him.
18 Seconds George D. Shuman (Pocket 978-0-7432-7717-4, Apr 2007, $7.99, 355pp, pb) [Sherry Moore] Reprint (Simon & Schuster 2006) serial killer thriller, the first in a series featuring psychic consultant Sherry Moore.
An Alternate History of the 21st Century William Shunn (Spilt Milk Press, Sep 2007, $5.00, 68pp, ph, cover by Mattias Adolfsson) Chapbook collection of six stories, two original, and two previously published online. Introduction by Cory Doctorow. Spilt Milk Press, PO Box 366, Bettendorf IA 52722; [http://spiltmilkpress.pbwiki.com].
- 5 · Introduction · Cory Doctorow · in *
- 8 · From Our Point of View We Had Moved to the Left · ss F&SF Feb 93
- 13 · Kevin17 · ss F&SF Feb 95
- 15 · Observations from the City of Angels [Love in the Age of Spyware] · ss Salon Jul, 2003
- 22 · Strong Medicine · ss Salon Nov 11, 2003
- 23 · Objective Impermeability in a Closed System · ss *
- 28 · Not of This Fold · nv *
- 61 · Afterword: A Look Back at the 21st Century · aw
- 63 · Publishing History · Misc. · bi *
Dark Fusion: Dread Locks Neal Shusterman (Penguin/Speak 0-14-240599-X, Aug 2006, $6.99, 164pp, pb, cover by Cliff Nielsen) [Dark Fusion] Reprint (Dutton 2005) young-adult dark fantasy novel, first in the Dark Fusion series based on a mix of myths and fairy tales. This is dated 2006 but not seen until now.
Dark Fusion: Duckling Ugly Neal Shusterman (Penguin/Speak 978-0-14-240684-7, Apr 2007, $6.99, 211pp, pb, cover by Cliff Nielsen) [Dark Fusion] Reprint (Dutton 2006) young-adult fantasy novel, third in the Dark Fusion trilogy.
Dark Fusion: Red Riders Hood Neal Shusterman (Penguin/Speak 0-14-240678-3, Aug 2006, $6.99, 181pp, pb, cover by Cliff Nielsen) [Dark Fusion] Reprint (Dutton 2005) young-adult contemporary dark fantasy novel, second in the series mixing fairy tales and myth.
Darkness Creeping: Twenty Twisted Tales Neal Shusterman (Penguin/Puffin 978-0-14-240721-9, Feb 2007, $7.99, 291pp, tp) Collection of 19 stories (four original) and one poem, with introductions telling the origins of each. Fifteen stories and the poem previously appeared in two collections from Lowell House Juvenile, Darkness Creeping (1993) and Darkness Creeping II (1995).
- ix · Foreword · fw *
- 1 · Catching Cold · ss *
- 19 · Who Do We Appreciate? · ss *
- 47 · Soul Survivor · ss Darkness Creeping II, Lowell House, 1995
- 61 · Black Box · ss Darkness Creeping, Lowell House, 1993
- 75 · Resting Deep · ss Darkness Creeping, Lowell House, 1993
- 89 · Security Blanket · ss Darkness Creeping II, Lowell House, 1995
- 104 · Same Time Next Year · ss Darkness Creeping, Lowell House, 1993
- 119 · The River Tour · ss *
- 123 · Flushie · ss Darkness Creeping, Lowell House, 1993
- 140 · Monkeys Tonight · ss Darkness Creeping, Lowell House, 1993
- 150 · Screaming at the Wall · ss Darkness Creeping, Lowell House, 1993
- 162 · Growing Pains · ss Darkness Creeping II, Lowell House, 1995
- 177 · Alexanders Skull · ss Darkness Creeping, Lowell House, 1993
- 187 · Connecting Flight · ss Darkness Creeping II, Lowell House, 1995
- 201 · Ralphy Shermans Root Canal · ss *
- 218 · An Ear for Music · ss Darkness Creeping II, Lowell House, 1995
- 239 · Riding the Raptor · ss Darkness Creeping II, Lowell House, 1995
- 252 · Trash Day · ss Darkness Creeping II, Lowell House, 1995
- 268 · Crystalloid · ss Darkness Creeping II, Lowell House, 1995
- 289 · Shadows of Doubt · pm Darkness Creeping, Lowell House, 1993
Unwind Neal Shusterman (Simon & Schuster 978-1-4169-1204-0, Nov 2007, $16.99, 335pp, hc) Young-adult SF thriller. Connors parents think hes out of control and plan to exercise their right to have him unwound by donating all his organs to others.
Ancestor Scott Sigler (Dragon Moon Press 1-896944-73-6, May 2007, $19.95, 261pp, tp, cover by Kevin Capizzi) SF technothriller. A geneticist trying to recreate the first mammal accidentally unleashes a fast-growing evil. A bonus story, Iowa Typhoon, is included.
Demons Kiss Eve Silver (Grand Central 978-0-446-61892-2, Oct 2007, $6.99, 316pp, pb) Paranormal romance. A demon-fighting member of the Compact of Sorcerers falls for a woman being used by the demons.
The Collected Stories of Robert Silverberg: To the Dark Star: 1962-69 Robert Silverberg (Subterranean Press 978-1-59606-089-0, Jun 2007, $35.00, 391pp, hc) Collection of 21 stories written between 1962 and 1969. This is cloth bound without dustjacket. Silverberg provides a general introduction and individual story introductions discussing the origins of each. A leatherbound, signed limited edition of 125 ($65.00) is also available.
- · Introduction · in
- · To See the Invisible Man · ss Worlds of Tomorrow Apr 63
- · The Pain Peddlers · ss Galaxy Aug 63
- · Neighbor · ss Galaxy Aug 64
- · The Sixth Palace · ss Galaxy Feb 65
- · Flies · ss Dangerous Visions, ed. Harlan Ellison, Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1967
- · Halfway House · ss If Nov 66
- · To the Dark Star · ss The Farthest Reaches, ed. Joseph Elder, Trident, 1968
- · Hawksbill Station · na Galaxy Aug 67
- · Passengers · ss Orbit 4, ed. Damon Knight, G.P. Putnams, 1968
- · Bride 91 · ss If Sep 67
- · Going Down Smooth · ss Galaxy Aug 68
- · The Fangs of the Trees · nv F&SF Oct 68
- · Ishmael in Love · ss F&SF Jul 70
- · Ringing the Changes · ss Alchemy & Academe, ed. Anne McCaffrey, Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1970
- · Sundance · ss F&SF Jun 69
- · How It Was When the Past Went Away · na Three for Tomorrow, ed. Robert Silverberg, Meredith, 1969
- · A Happy Day in 2381 [Urban Monad] · ss Nova 1, ed. Harry Harrison, Delacorte, 1970
- · (Now+n), (Now-n) · nv Nova 2, ed. Harry Harrison, Walker, 1972
- · After the Myths Went Home · ss F&SF Nov 69
- · The Pleasure of Their Company [The Pleasure of Our Company] · nv Infinity #1, ed. Robert Hoskins, Lancer, 1970
- · We Know Who We Are · ss Amazing Jul 70
Culture, Identities and Technology in the Star Wars Films ed. Carl Silvio & Tony M. Vinci (McFarland 978-0-7864-2910-3, Feb 2007, $35.00, 237pp, tp) Critical non-fiction, a gathering of nine essays looking at the two Star Wars films as cultural artifacts. The third book in the Critical Explorations in Science Fiction and Fantasy series. Includes bibliography and index. McFarland, Box 611, Jefferson NC 28640; 800-253-2187; [www.mcfarlandpub.com].
In a Town Called Mundomuerto Randall Silvis (Omnidawn Publishing 978-1-890650-19-3, Jun 2007, $12.95, 155pp, tp, cover by Tarsila do Amaral) Fabulist novel drawing on Brazilian legend. Lucia Lunas brief tryst with a dolphin-man changes her and her village forever, according to a grandfathers tale. Omnidawn, 1632 Elm Avenue, PO Box 5224, Richmond CA 94805; [www.omnidawn.com].
City Clifford D. Simak (Old Earth Books 978-1-882968-28-2, May 2007, $27.00, 251pp, hc, cover by Douglas Klauba) Reissue (Gnome 1952) classic SF fix-up novel/collection. This is a Clifford D. Simak Centennial Edition. Second printing.
The Terror Dan Simmons (Little, Brown 978-0-316-01744-2, Jan 2007, $25.99, 769pp, hc) Associational historical horror novel/thriller. Something is killing men on ships frozen into the Arctic ice.
The Terror Dan Simmons (SFBC #1226301, Feb 2007, $12.99, 769pp, hc, cover by Erich Lessing) Reprint (Little, Brown 2007) associational historical horror novel/thriller. This is similar to the Little, Brown edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Dead Easy Wm. Mark Simmons (Baen 978-1-4165-2132-7, Jun 2007, $23.00, 371pp, hc, cover by Clyde Caldwell) [Chris Csejthe] Humorous horror novel, fourth in the Half Life series begun in One Foot in the Grave. Half-undead Christopher Csejthe ends up in a New Orleans beset by a mystic hurricane, drowned vampire zombies, and Lovecraftian entities.
Habeas Corpses Wm. Mark Simmons (Baen 978-1-4165-2125-9, May 2007, $7.99, 561pp, pb, cover by Clyde Caldwell) [Chris Csejthe] Reprint (Baen 2005) humorous horror novel, third in the series begun in One Foot in the Grave.
Pathfinder I Wm. Mark Simmons (Yard Dog Press 978-1-893687-75-2, Aug 2007, $6.00, 69pp, pb, cover by Christopher Hershberger) Chapbook post-apocalypse fantasy novella-length work, the first part in a serial. Order from Yard Dog Press, 710 W Redbud Lane, Alma AR 72921-7247; [www.yarddogpress.com].
Like Birds in the Rain Marge Simon (Sams Dot Publishing 978-1-933556-69-7, May 2007, $8.50, 50pp, tp, cover by Marge Simon) Collection of 23 vignettes (character studies and poetic flash fictions), 11 original. Illustrated by the author. Sams Dot Publishing, PO Box 782, Cedar Rapids IA 52406-0782; [www.samsdotpublishing.com].
- 6 · The Private Lives of Lizards · pp Full Unit Hookup Sum, 2005
- 6 · The Moon Complements My Shadow · vi
- 8 · A Collective Invention Revisited · pp Strange Horizons (online) Jul 16, 2001
- 11 · The Reluctant Horseman · vi EOTU Ezine Dec, 2000
- 15 · The Memory of Light · vi *
- 16 · Kellys Place · vi *
- 18 · Detour · vi *
- 19 · Ive Been Told of Fourth Street · pp Mythic Delirium #6, 2002
- 20 · It Has Her Eyes · vi *
- 22 · The Locket · vi Plot #1 94
- 26 · Blood on My Tongue · vi
- 27 · A Motel of Many Rooms · vi Aoifes Kiss #18, 2006
- 29 · Striped Pajamas [as by Anon.] · vi Nemonymous May, 2002
- 30 · A Good Wine · vi *
- 33 · A Room of Frozen Dust · vi
- 33 · The Language of Ducks · vi
- 36 · A Minstrels Song · vi *
- 38 · No Place for Children · vi Tales of the Talisman #6, 2006
- 40 · Leaving San Francisco · vi
- 43 · The Piano · vi
- 44 · No One Sleeps Above Her Dreams · vi *
- 47 · Origami Swans · vi From the Asylum, 2006
- 49 · Like Birds in the Rain · vi Sybils Garage #2, 2005
Awaiting the Fire Donna Lea Simpson (Berkley Sensation 978-0-425-21761-0, Sep 2007, $6.99, 332pp, pb, cover by Phil Heffernan) [Awaiting the Moon] Gothic romance with werewolves, third in the series begun in Awaiting the Moon.
The Rough Guide to Philip Pullmans His Dark Materials Paul Simpson (Rough Guides 978-1-84353-920-9, Oct 2007, $12.99, 302pp, tp) Non-fiction guide to Pullmans series and the films. This is an international edition. [Philip Pullman]
Falling Upwards Kassandra Sims (Tor 978-0-765-35581-2, Apr 2007, $6.99, 228pp, pb, cover by Rich Dees) Contemporary fantasy romance novel.
Down Home Zombie Blues Linnea Sinclair (Bantam 978-0-553-58964-1, Dec 2007, $6.99, 516pp, pb, cover by Stephen Youll) SF romance novel. Homicide detective Theo Petrakoss latest case involves a sexy space commander on a mission to stop a biomechanical zombie plague.
Games of Command Linnea Sinclair (Bantam Spectra 978-0-553-58963-4, Mar 2007, $6.99, 525pp, pb, cover by Stephen Youll) Military SF romance, a reworking of, and sequel to, Command Performance (Novel Books, Inc. 2002). A new alliance in the galactic war finds Captain Tasha Sass Sebastion working for an old enemy. Sinclair also writes as Megan Sybil Baker.
Caressed by Ice Nalini Singh (Berkley Sensation 978-0-425-21842-6, Sep 2007, $6.99, 352pp, pb, cover by Phil Heffernan) [Psy-Changeling] Supernatural romance, the third in a trilogy after Slave to Sensation about the Psy/Changeling world where powerful emotions are forbidden.
Visions of Heat Nalini Singh (Berkley Sensation 978-0-425-21575-3, Mar 2007, $6.99, 332pp, pb, cover by Phil Heffernan) [Psy-Changeling] Supernatural romance, the second in a trilogy after Slave to Sensation about Psys and changelings in a world where powerful emotions are forbidden.
Ghost, Interrupted Sonia Singh (HarperCollins/Avon 978-0-06-089022-3, Jan 2007, $13.95, 264pp, tp) Humorous fantasy novel of ghostbusters.
Of Love and Other Monsters Vandana Singh (Aqueduct Press 978-1-933500-14-4, Nov 2007, $9.00, 76pp, ph, cover by Pam Sanders) Chapbook fantasy novella. A young man with amnesia learns he has the ability to manipulate the minds of others. Part of the Conversation Pieces chapbook series. Aqueduct Press, PO Box 95787, Seattle WA 98145-2787; [www.aqueductpress.com].
Gratia Placenti: For the Sake of Pleasing ed. Jason Sizemore & Gill Ainsworth (Apex Publications 978-0-9788676-5-2, Dec 2007, $15.95, 193pp, tp, cover by Paul Bielaczyc) Original anthology of 13 horror stories exploring what can happen when people will do anything to get what they want. Authors include David Niall Wilson, Geoffrey Girard, and Bev Vincent. This is a print-on-demand edition available online at [www.apexbookcompany.com] or from Apex Publications, PO Box 24323, Lexington KY 40524.
Laws of the Blood: Companions Susan Sizemore (Ace 978-0-441-00875-9, Jul 2007, $6.99, 265pp, pb, cover by Cliff Nielsen) [Laws of the Blood] Reissue (Ace 2001) vampire novel, third in a series about vampire Enforcers. Fifth printing.
Laws of the Blood: Deceptions Susan Sizemore (Ace 978-0-441-00984-8, Aug 2007, $6.99, 260pp, pb, cover by Cliff Nielsen) [Laws of the Blood] Reissue (Ace 2002) vampire novel, fourth in a series about vampire Enforcers. Second printing.
Laws of the Blood: Heroes Susan Sizemore (Ace 978-0-441-01108-7, Sep 2007, $6.99, 280pp, pb, cover by Cliff Nielsen) [Laws of the Blood] Reissue (Ace 2003) vampire novel, fifth in a series about vampire Enforcers. Second printing.
Laws of the Blood: Partners Susan Sizemore (Ace 978-0-441-00783-7, Jun 2007, $6.99, 279pp, pb, cover by Cliff Nielsen) [Laws of the Blood] Reissue (Ace 2000) vampire novel, second in a series about vampire Enforcers. Fifth printing.
Laws of the Blood: The Hunt Susan Sizemore (Ace 978-0-441-00660-1, May 2007, $6.99, 282pp, pb, cover by Cliff Nielsen) [Laws of the Blood] Reissue (Ace 1999) vampire novel, the first in a series about vampire Enforcers. Seventh printing.
The Long Last Call John Skipp (Leisure 978-0-8439-5843-0, Sep 2007, $7.99, 305pp, pb) Reprint (CD Publications 2006, not seen) horror novel.
Spaceman Blues: A Love Song Brian Francis Slattery (Tor 978-0-7653-1610-3, Aug 2007, $22.95, 219pp, hc) SF superhero mystery novel. A first novel. A trade paperback edition (-1614-1, $12.95) is also available.
The Extra Large Medium Helen Slavin (Grove/Atlantic/Black Cat 978-0-8021-7032-3, May 2007, $14.00, 229pp, tp) Fantasy novel about a woman who can hear the dead. First US edition (Text Publishing Australia 2006).
A Distant Tomorrow Bertrice Small (Harlequin/HQN 0-373-77195-0, Apr 2007, $6.99, 521pp, pb) [World of Hetar] Fantasy romance novel, the third in the World of Hetar series.
The Twilight Lord Bertrice Small (Harlequin/HQN 978-0-373-77203-2, May 2007, $13.95, 554pp, tp) [World of Hetar] Fantasy romance novel, the third in the World of Hetar series. The half-faerie Domina of Terah is abducted while visiting the New Outlands.
Forgotten Realms: Heirs of Prophecy Lisa Smedman (Wizards of the Coast 978-0-7869-4290-9, Oct 2007, $6.99, 305pp, pb, cover by Raymond Swanland) [Forgotten Realms: Sembia] Novelization based on the roleplaying game, book five of Sembia: Gateway to the Realms. Copyrighted by Wizards of the Coast.
Forgotten Realms: Sacrifice of the Widow Lisa Smedman (Wizards of the Coast 978-0-7869-4250-3, Feb 2007, $6.99, 311pp, pb, cover by Wes Benscoter) [Forgotten Realms: Lady Penitent] Novelization based on the roleplaying game, book one of The Lady Penitent. Copyrighted by Wizards of the Coast.
Forgotten Realms: Storm of the Dead Lisa Smedman (Wizards of the Coast 978-0-7869-4701-0, Sep 2007, $6.99, 312pp, pb, cover by Wes Benscoter) [Forgotten Realms: Lady Penitent] Novelization based on the roleplaying game, book two of The Lady Penitent. Copyrighted by Wizards of the Coast.
The Freakshow Bryan Smith (Leisure 978-0-8439-5827-0, Mar 2007, $6.99, 324pp, pb) Horror novel about a traveling carnival in a small town.
The Collected Fantasies of Clark Ashton Smith, Volume 2: The Door to Saturn Clark Ashton Smith (Night Shade Books 978-1-59780-029-7, Jun 2007, $39.95, 298pp, hc, cover by Jason Van Hollander) Collection of 20 stories from 1932, presented in chronological order. The text follows existing manuscripts where possible, with notes on each story by editors Scott Connors & Ron Hilger. Introduction by Tim Powers. Night Shade Books, 1423 33rd Avenue, San Francisco CA 94122; 415-759-8901; [email@example.com]; [www.nightshadebooks.com].
- · Introduction · Tim Powers · in
- · The Door to Saturn · ss Strange Tales of Mystery and Terror Jan 32
- · The Red World of Polaris [Captain Volmar] · nv The Red World of Polaris: The Adventures of Captain Volmar, Night Shade, 2003
- · Told in the Desert · ss Over the Edge, ed. August Derleth, Arkham, 1964
- · The Willow Landscape · ss The Double Shadow and Other Fantasies, Auburn Journal: Auburn CA, 1933
- · A Rendezvous in Averoigne · ss Weird Tales Apr/May 31
- · The Gorgon · ss Weird Tales Apr 32
- · An Offering to the Moon · ss Weird Tales Sep 53
- · The Kiss of Zoraida · ss The Magic Carpet Jul 33
- · The Face by the River · ss Weird Tales Jul, 2005
- · The Ghoul · ss The Fantasy Fan Jan 34
- · The Kingdom of the Worm · ss The Fantasy Fan Oct 33
- · An Adventure in Futurity · nv Wonder Stories Apr 31
- · The Justice of the Elephant · ss Oriental Stories Fll 31
- · The Return of the Sorcerer · ss Strange Tales of Mystery and Terror Sep 31
- · The City of the Singing Flame [City of Singing Flame] · ss Wonder Stories Jul 31
- · A Good Embalmer · ss Strange Shadows, Greenwood Press, 1989
- · The Testament of Athammaus · ss Weird Tales Oct 32
- · A Captivity in Serpens [The Amazing Planet; Captain Volmar] · na Wonder Stories Quarterly Sum 31
- · The Letter from Mohaun Los [Flight into Super-Time] · nv Wonder Stories Aug 32
- · The Hunters from Beyond · ss Strange Tales of Mystery and Terror Oct 32
The Collected Fantasies of Clark Ashton Smith, Volume I: The End of the Story Clark Ashton Smith (Night Shade Books 978-1-59780-028-0, Jan 2007, $39.95, 284+xiii, hc, cover by Jason Van Hollander) Collection of 25 stories in chronological order as written. This is the first of five volumes in a series, with definitive texts edited by Scott Connors & Ron Hilger. Introduction by Ramsey Campbell. This includes story notes, bibliography, and an alternate story conclusion. Night Shade Books, 1423 33rd Ave., San Francisco CA 94122; [www.nightshadebooks.com].
- · To the Daemon · pp The Acolyte Fll 43
- · The Abominations of Yondo · ss Overland Monthly Apr 26
- · Sadastor · vi Weird Tales Jul 30
- · The Ninth Skeleton · ss Weird Tales Sep 28
- · The Last Incantation [Malygris] · ss Weird Tales Jun 30
- · The End of the Story · nv Weird Tales May 30
- · The Phantoms of the Fire · ss Weird Tales Sep 30
- · A Night in Malnéant · ss The Double Shadow and Other Fantasies, Auburn Journal: Auburn CA, 1933
- · The Resurrection of the Rattlesnake · ss Weird Tales Oct 31
- · Thirteen Phantasms · ss Fantasy Magazine Mar 36
- · The Venus of Azombeii · nv Weird Tales Jun/Jul 31
- · The Tale of Satampra Zeiros [Satampra Zeiros] · ss Weird Tales Nov 31
- · The Monster of the Prophecy · nv Weird Tales Jan 32
- · The Metamorphosis of Earth · nv Weird Tales Sep 51
- · The Epiphany of Death · ss The Fantasy Fan Jul 34
- · Murder in the Fourth Dimension · ss Amazing Detective Tales Oct 30
- · The Devotee of Evil · ss The Double Shadow and Other Fantasies, Auburn Journal: Auburn CA, 1933
- · The Satyr · ss ParSt Jul 31
- · The Planet of the Dead · ss Weird Tales Mar 32
- · The Uncharted Isle · ss Weird Tales Nov 30
- · Marooned in Andromeda [Captain Volmar] · nv Wonder Stories Oct 30
- · The Root of Ampoi · ss Arkham Sampler Spr 49
- · The Necromantic Tale · ss Weird Tales Jan 31
- · The Immeasurable Horror · ss Weird Tales Sep 31
- · A Voyage to Sfanomoë · ss Weird Tales Aug 31