Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 1984-1998
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
Near Dead Stephen R. George (Zebra 0-8217-3663-9, Feb 92 [Jan 92], $4.50, 317pp, pb) Horror novel of a man haunted by his murdered wife and daughter, who want him to stop the man who killed them before he claims new victims.
Nightscape Stephen R. George (Zebra 0-8217-3849-6, Aug 92 [Jul 92], $4.50, 352pp, pb) Horror novel of creatures that take the souls of children in their sleep and change them.
A Day for Damnation David Gerrold (Bantam Spectra 0-553-27765-0, Jan 93 [Dec 92], $5.99, 423pp, pb, cover by Gary Ruddell) [War Against the Chtorr] Reissue (Bantam 1989) sf novel, second book of The War Against the Chtorr expanded from the 1985 Simon & Schuster Timescape edition; fourth printing.
A Matter for Men David Gerrold (Bantam Spectra 0-553-27782-0, Jan 93 [Dec 92], $5.99, 435pp, pb, cover by Gary Ruddell) [War Against the Chtorr] Reissue (Bantam 1989) sf novel, first book of The War Against the Chtorr substantially revised from the 1983 Timescape edition; fourth printing.
A Rage for Revenge David Gerrold (Bantam Spectra 0-553-27844-4, Jan 93 [Dec 92], $5.99, 517pp, pb, cover by Gary Ruddell) [War Against the Chtorr] Reissue (Bantam Spectra 1989) sf novel, third book of"The War Against the Chtorr"; sixth printing.
A Season for Slaughter David Gerrold (Bantam Spectra 0-553-28976-4, Jan 93 [Dec 92], $5.99, 562pp, pb, cover by Gary Ruddell) [War Against the Chtorr] Sf novel of alien invasion, fourth book of The War Against the Chtorr series. Includes a self-interview by the author.
Mirror to the Sky Mark Geston (Morrow AvoNova 0-688-11138-6, Dec 92 [Nov 92], $20.00, 234pp, hc, cover by J. K. Potter) Sf novel of highly evolved aliens who come to live on Earth in peace until they exhibit their artwork which causes worldwide insanity and violence.
In the Wrong Hands Edward Gibson (Bantam Spectra 0-553-29567-5, May 92 [Apr 92], $5.99, 326pp, pb, cover by Pamela Lee) Sf novel set in a 21st-century lunar colony, where dangerous genetic experiments by a madman threaten humanity.
Reach Edward Gibson (Bantam Spectra 0-553-28541-6, May 92 [Apr 92], $4.99, 382pp, pb, cover by Michael Carroll) Reissue (Doubleday Foundation 1989) sf novel, third printing.
The Difference Engine William Gibson & Bruce Sterling (Bantam Spectra 0-553-29461-X, Feb 92 [Jan 92], $5.99, 429pp, pb, cover by Tony Randazzo) Reprint (Gollancz 1990) Victorian novel set in alternate-world Victorian England where the Babbage Engine was really built and changed society.
The Difference Engine William Gibson & Bruce Sterling (BOMC/QPBC, Feb 92, $9.95, 435pp, tp, cover by Tony Randazzo) Reprint (Gollancz 1990) Victorian novel set in alternate-world Victorian England where the Babbage Engine was really built and changed society. This is similar to the Bantam Spectra hardcover edition except it lacks an ISBN and price and has the jacket printed as the soft cover.
H.R. Gigers Necronomicon II H. R. Giger (Morpheus International 0-9623447-6-1, Nov 92 [Dec 92], $69.50, 93pp, hc, cover by H. R. Giger) Art book collecting work by Giger, with text translated from the German by Clara Horicht Frame. Originally published in Germany by Edition C in 1986. First hardcover edition. Order from Morpheus International, 200 N. Robertson Blvd., Suite #326, Beverly Hills CA 90211.
Grails: Quests, Visitations and Other Occurences ed. Richard Gilliam, Martin H. Greenberg & Edward E. Kramer (Unnameable Press 0-934227-09-8, Oct 92, no price, 639pp, hc) Original anthology of 35 stories about quests for grails, with a poem by Jane Yolen and an introduction by Fritz Leiber. A 1500-copy limited edition (-08-X) was announced but not seen, and a special 1000-copy edition was presented at the 1992 World Fantasy Convention. Order from Unnameable Press, PO Box 11689, Atlanta GA 30355-1689.
The Lord of the Troll-Bats Alexis A. Gilliland (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-37467-3, May 92 [Apr 92], $3.99, 233pp, pb, cover by Romas) [Wizenbeak] Humorous fantasy novel, third in the Wizenbeak series.
Herland and Selected Stories Charlotte Perkins Gilman (Penguin/Signet 0-451-52562-0, Jul 92, $5.95, 349pp, pb) Collection of 20 stories, including macabre and ghostly tales, plus the Utopian short novel Herland. Edited and with an introduction by Barbara H. Solomon.
- xi · Introduction · Barbara H. Solomon · in
- 1 · Herland · n. Forerunner: Science Fiction and Fantasy Quarterly, 1915
- 149 · The Unexpected · ss Kate Fields Washington May 21, 1890
- 156 · My Poor Aunt · ss, 1891
- 165 · The Yellow Wallpaper · ss New England Magazine Jan, 1892
- 181 · Three Thanksgivings · ss Forerunner: Science Fiction and Fantasy Quarterly Nov 09
- 195 · Her Housekeeper · ss Forerunner: Science Fiction and Fantasy Quarterly Jan 10
- 208 · When I Was a Witch · ss, 1910
- 219 · Marthas Mother · ss, 1910
- 229 · The Boys and the Butter · ss Forerunner: Science Fiction and Fantasy Quarterly Oct 10
- 238 · Making a Living · ss, 1910
- 249 · Old Mrs. Crosley · ss, 1911
- 258 · Turned · ss Forerunner: Science Fiction and Fantasy Quarterly Sep 11
- 268 · Making a Change · ss Forerunner: Science Fiction and Fantasy Quarterly Dec 11
- 276 · A Mischievous Rudiment · ss, 1912
- 285 · Mrs. Elders Idea · ss Forerunner: Science Fiction and Fantasy Quarterly Feb 12
- 294 · Her Beauty · ss Forerunner: Science Fiction and Fantasy Quarterly Feb 13
- 302 · If I Were a Man · ss Physical Culture Jul 14
- 309 · Spoken To · ss, 1915
- 318 · Dr. Clairs Place · ss Forerunner: Science Fiction and Fantasy Quarterly Jun 15
- 327 · Joans Defender · ss Forerunner: Science Fiction and Fantasy Quarterly Jun 16
- 336 · Mrs. Beazleys Deeds · ss Womans World Mar 27 11
Enter Three Witches Kate Gilmore (Scholastic 0-590-44494-8, Jan 92 [Feb 92], $2.95, 210pp, pb) Reprint (Houghton Mifflin 1990) young-adult fantasy novel of real witchcraft behind the scenes of a prep school production of Macbeth.
Child of the Light Janet Gluckman & George Guthridge (St. Martins 0-312-06317-2, Apr 92, $22.95, 389pp, hc, cover by Cary Henrie) Fantasy novel set in Germany between world wars. A Jewish boy is plagued by a dybbuk, and his best friend, a telepath, is caught up in the growing Nazi party.
The Empire Strikes Back Donald F. Glut (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-32022-0, Jun 92, $4.99, 214pp, pb, cover by Roger Kastel) [Star Wars] Reissue (Del Rey 1980) sf novelization based on the second Star Wars film; 16th printing.
Sherwood Parke Godwin (AvoNova 0-380-70995-3, Jul 92 [Jun 92], $5.50, 529pp, pb, cover by Kinuko Craft) [Sherwood] Reprint (Morrow 1991) historical novel with fantasy elements, first of two books retelling the Robin Hood legend.
Creation Story Verbatim E. J. Gold (Gateways/IDHHB 0-89556-047-X, 1986 [Jul 92], $11.95, 267pp, tp) Satirical fantasy, a report to God on the state of the Earth by the Archangel Gabriel. This is a 1986 book not seen until 1992. Available from Gateways Books & Tapes, Department G, PO Box 370, Nevada City CA 95959; (800)869-0658.
The Bully Pulpit Andrew Goldblatt (Bantam/Turner 0-553-29906-9, Jul 92 [Jun 92], $4.99, 305pp, pb, cover by Keith Batcheller) Associational near-future political thriller about a democratic presidential candidate who eschews media manipulation to concentrate on issues. This was the runner-up for the Turner Tomorrow Fellowship.
Ravenloft: Dance of the Dead Christie Golden (TSR 1-56076-352-3, Jul 92, $4.95, 310pp, tp) [Ravenloft] Dark fantasy novelization based on the Ravenloft role-playing game.
Cut! Horror Writers On Horror Film Christopher Golden (Borderlands Press, Aug 92, $65.00, 297pp, hc) Reprint (Berkley 1992) non-fiction collection of 22 essays on horror film by writers of horror fiction plus an interview with Clive Barker conducted by Peter Atkins, and a piece by Anne Rice, as told to Katherine Ramsland. This is a slipcased 500-copy limited edition, signed by all contributors/subjects except Anne Rice.
Cut! Horror Writers On Horror Film ed. Christopher Golden (Berkley 0-425-13282-X, Apr 92 [Mar 92], $8.95, 297pp, tp) Collection of 22 essays on horror film by writers of horror fiction plus an interview with Clive Barker conducted by Peter Atkins, and a piece by Anne Rice, as told to Katherine Ramsland.
The Romance of Merlin ed. Peter Goodrich (Garland 0-8240-7042-9, 1990 [Mar 92], $18.95, 417pp, tp) Reference/anthology of legends, stories, poetry, and criticism about Merlin with an introduction by the editor and a bibliography. A hardcover edition (-4442-8, $50) was announced but not seen. This is a 1990 book not seen until now.
Prisoners and Other Stories Ed Gorman (CD Publications 1-881475-00-X, Nov 92, $20.95, 300pp, hc, cover by Bob Korn) Collection of 22 horror and crime stories, one original, with an introduction by the author and an afterword by Dean Koontz. A signed limited edition (-01-8) was announced but not seen. Order from CD Publications, PO Box 18433, Baltimore MD 21237.
- 11 · Introduction · in
- 13 · The Reason Why [Jack Dwyer] · ss Criminal Elements, ed. Bill Pronzini & Martin H. Greenberg, Ivy, 1988
- 33 · Mother Darkness · ss Constable New Crimes 1, ed. Maxim Jakubowski, London: Constable, 1992
- 45 · Render Unto Caesar · ss Pulphouse, 1991
- 61 · Dancers · ss The New Review, 1978; revised.
- 73 · Duty · ss Under the Fang, ed. Robert R. McCammon, Pocket, 1991
- 85 · Failed Prayers [Jack Dwyer] · ss Mystery Scene Reader #1, ed. Ed Gorman, Fedora, 1987
- 99 · Layover · ss Cemetery Dance Win 91
- 111 · Idol [Batman] · ss The Further Adventures of Batman, ed. Martin H. Greenberg, Bantam, 1989
- 121 · Jungle · ss, 1992
- 139 · My Cousin Cal · ss Mr. President, Private Eye, ed. Martin H. Greenberg & Francis M. Nevins, Jr., Ballantine, 1989
- 151 · The Curse [Dick Tracy] · ss Dick Tracy: The Secret Files, Max Allan Collins & Martin H. Greenberg, Tor, 1990
- 159 · Long Time Till Morning Comes · ss Narrow Houses, ed. Peter Crowther, Little Brown UK, 1992
- 171 · My Friend Bobby · ss The Coe Review, 1981; revised.
- 179 · Stalker · ss Stalkers, ed. Ed Gorman & Martin H. Greenberg, Arlington Heights, IL: Dark Harvest, 1989
- 197 · The Monster · ss Cemetery Dance Spr 90
- 205 · The Ugly File · ss *
- 215 · Bless Us Oh Lord · ss *
- 221 · Turn Away · ss The Black Lizard Anthology of Crime Fiction, ed. Ed Gorman, Black Lizard, 1987
- 233 · The Coming of Night, The Passing of Day · ss Masques #4, ed. J. N. Williamson, 1991
- 243 · The Long Silence After · ss Dark at Heart, ed. Joe R. Lansdale & Karen Lansdale, Arlington Heights, IL: Dark Harvest, 1992
- 253 · The Wind from Midnight · nv The Bradbury Chronicles, ed. William F. Nolan & Martin H. Greenberg, Roc, 1991
- 277 · Prisoners · ss New Crimes, ed. Maxim Jakubowski, London: Robinson, 1989
- 291 · Afterword · Dean R. Koontz · aw
Invitation to Murder ed. Ed Gorman & Martin H. Greenberg (Dark Harvest 0-913165-65-4, Dec 91 [Jan 92], $21.95, 292pp, hc, cover by Robert Lavoie) Associational original anthology of 18 mystery stories, a few with fantasy elements. All the stories are based on a single broad premise, and the contributors include Kristine Kathryn Rusch, William F. Nolan, Richard Laymon, and Gary Brandner.
Stalkers ed. Ed Gorman & Martin H. Greenberg (Penguin/Roc 0-451-45148-1, Apr 92 [Mar 92], $4.99, 351pp, pb) Reprint (Dark Harvest 1989) original horror anthology of 19 stories. The Malzberg story was added to the original 18 for the 1990 Roc trade paperback edition.
Linnets and Valerians Elizabeth Goudge (Dell Yearling 0-440-40590-4, Mar 92 [Feb 92], $3.50, 246pp, pb, cover by Yvonne Gilbert) Reprint (Brockhampton Press 1964) young-adult fantasy novel of a magical battle between good and evil in a small English village.
The Little White Horse Elizabeth Goudge (Dell Yearling 0-440-40734-6, Dec 92 [Nov 92], $3.50, 277pp, tp, cover by Yvonne Gilbert) Reprint (University of London Press 1946) classic young-adult fantasy of an orphaned girl who finds mystery and fantasy at lonely Moonacre Manor.
Jumper Steven Gould (Tor 0-312-85272-X, Aug 92 [Jul 92], $21.95, 344pp, hc, cover by Romas) [Jumper] Sf novel about a young teleporter on his own in New York City. A first novel.
Jumper Steven Gould (SFBC #02780, Nov 92 [Dec 92], $9.98, 344pp, hc, cover by Romas) [Jumper] Reprint (Tor 1992) sf novel about a young teleporter on his own in New York City. Similar to the Tor edition except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
The Orpheus Process Daniel H. Gower (Dell Abyss 0-440-21143-3, Feb 92 [Jan 92], $4.99, 420pp, pb) Horror novel, a retelling of Frankenstein set at a small suburban college. A first novel. Recommended (SW).
Star Trek: Ice Trap L. A. Graf (Pocket 0-671-78068-9, Jul 92 [Jun 92], $4.99, 277pp, pb) [Star Trek] Star Trek novelization, #60 in the series.
Star Trek: Death Count L. A. Graf (Pocket 0-671-79322-5, Nov 92 [Oct 92], $4.99, 276pp, pb) [Star Trek] Star Trek novelization, #62 in the series.
Great Ghost Stories ed. John Grafton (Dover 0-486-27270-2, Oct 92 [Nov 92], $1.00, 100pp, tp, cover by Paul E. Kennedy) Anthology of ten classic ghost stories with an introduction by the editor. A Dover Thrift edition.
- v · Note · John Grafton · in
- 1 · The Phantom Coach · Amelia B. Edwards · ss All the Year Round Christmas, 1864
- 13 · To Be Taken with a Grain of Salt · Charles Dickens · ss All the Year Round Christmas, 1865
- 23 · Dickon the Devil [Martin Hesselius] · J. Sheridan Le Fanu · ss London Society Dec, 1872
- 32 · The Judges House · Bram Stoker · ss Holly Leaves Dec 5, 1891
- 47 · A Ghost Story [from Novel Notes] · Jerome K. Jerome · ss The Idler Sep, 1892
- 53 · The Moonlit Road · Ambrose Bierce · ss Cosmopolitan Jan 07
- 61 · The Monkeys Paw · W. W. Jacobs · ss Harpers Monthly Sep 02
- 71 · The Rose Garden · M. R. James · ss More Ghost Stories of an Antiquary, Arnold, 1911
- 81 · Bone to His Bone · E. G. Swain · ss The Stoneground Ghost Tales, W. Heffer: Cambridge, 1912
- 88 · The Confession of Charles Linkworth · E. F. Benson · ss The Cavalier Jan 13 12
Fire Mask Charles L. Grant (Bantam Starfire 0-553-29673-6, Jun 92 [May 92], $3.99, 202pp, pb, cover by Lisa Falkenstern) Reprint (Bantam 1991) young-adult psychic thriller. A boy from a psychic family and his friends are endangered by an immortal madman.
Stunts Charles L. Grant (Tor 0-812-50698-7, Mar 92 [Feb 92], $4.995, 438pp, pb) Reprint (Tor 1990) horror novel of the evil shadow of the wolf that covers a small town on Halloween.
The Fagin Pat Graversen (Zebra 0-8217-3572-1, Mar 92 [Feb 92], $4.50, 287pp, pb) Reprint (A&W 1982) horror novel. A woman returns to her hometown with her young son only to find it in thrall to warlocks and demons.
Sweet Blood Pat Graversen (Zebra 0-8217-3907-7, Sep 92 [Aug 92], $4.50, 254pp, pb) Vampire horror novel. A teenage boy vampire is the battleground in a war between his mother and another female vampire.
Conan the Relentless Roland J. Green (Tor 0-812-50962-5, Apr 92 [Mar 92], $3.99, 279pp, pb, cover by Ken Kelly) [Conan] Fantasy novelization based on Robert E. Howards classic character.
Starcruiser Shenandoah #4: Vain Command Roland J. Green (Penguin/Roc 0-451-45205-4, Oct 92 [Sep 92], $4.99, 384pp, pb) [Starcruiser Shenandoah] Sf military adventure novel, fourth book in a series.
Hawk & Fisher: The Bones of Haven Simon R. Green (Ace 0-441-31837-1, Mar 92 [Feb 92], $3.99, 211pp, pb, cover by Royo) [Hawk & Fisher] Fantasy novel about street cops in a barbarian world, sixth book of the Hawk & Fisher series.
Mistworld Simon R. Green (Ace 0-441-53506-2, Sep 92 [Aug 92], $4.50, 217pp, pb, cover by Sanjulian) [Twilight of Empire] Sf novel about a rebel planet hiding from the wrath of a mad interstellar Empress. First book of a new series.
Children of the Rainbow Terence M. Green (McClelland & Stewart 0-7710-3550-0, Mar 92, $16.99, 266pp, tp, cover by John Paul Genzo) Sf novel of a time-travelling descendant of the Bounty mutineers trapped in an 1835 British penal colony and of the prisoner he displaces who is transported to 1972. Available from McClelland & Stewart, 481 University Ave., Suite 900, Toronto ON, Canada M5G 2E9.
Dracula: Prince of Darkness ed. Martin H. Greenberg (DAW 0-88677-531-0, Sep 92 [Aug 92], $4.99, 316pp, pb, cover by Jim Warren) Original anthology of 15 horror stories featuring Dracula, with an introduction by Stefan Dziemianowicz.