! Copyright (c) 2005 by William G. Contento >
Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 1984-1998
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
They Used Dark Forces Dennis Wheatley (Reed Trade Books/Mandarin 0-7493-2277-2, 1995 [Apr 96], $6.99, 511pp, pb) Reprint (Hutchinson 1964) occult thriller set in WWII. Available fro Reed Trade Books, 225 Wildwood Ave, Woburn MA 01801; orders: 800-366-2665, fax 800-446-6520.
Something in My Eye Michael Whelan (Mark V. Ziesing 0-929480-82-1, Nov 96 [Oct 96], $18.95, unpaginated, tp) Art Book. A poster book with 17 full-color horror illustrations. There is an introduction by Whelan. A hardcover edition (-83-X, $50.00) was announced but not seen. Order from Mark V. Ziesing, PO Box 76, Shingletown CA 96088.
Enchanters Glass Susan Whitcher (Harcourt Brace 0-15-201245-1, May 96 [Jun 96], $17.00, 198pp, hc, cover by Victor Lee) Young-adult fantasy novel. A troubled teen finds a piece of glass that gives her strange visions. A first novel.
The Galactic Gourmet James White (Tor 0-312-86167-2, Aug 96 [Jul 96], $22.95, 288pp, hc, cover by John Berkey) [Sector General] SF novel in the Sector General series. The greatest chef in the galactic federation takes on the greatest challenge in the galaxy making hospital food palatable.
AllJudgement Fled James White (Old Earth Books 1-882968-07-7, Aug 96, $15.00, 190pp, tp, cover by Julie Burris) Reprint (Rapp & Whiting 1968) SF novel. This is a facsimile of the first edition. Available from Old Earth Books, PO Box 19951, Baltimore MD 21211-0951.
The Watch Below James White (Old Earth Books 1-882968-08-5, Aug 96, $15.00, 192pp, tp, cover by Julie Burris) Reprint (Ronald Whiting & Wheaton 1966) SF novel. This is a facsimile of the first edition. Available from Old Earth Books, PO Box 19951, Baltimore MD 21211-0951.
The White Papers James White (NESFA Press 0-915368-71-4, Sep 96, $25.00, 395pp, hc, cover by Vincent Di Fate) Collection of 10 stories, one original, and nine fan articles. Four of the stories are in the Sector General series, which is also discussed in notes and a timeline by Gary Lovisi. There are introductions by Mike Resnick, Bruce Pelz, and a 1992 program book introduction by Walt Willis. This edition was published in honor of Whites appearance as Guest of Honor at L.A.con III, the 1996 World SF convention. A boxed edition (-72-2) was also announced, but not seen. Order from NESFA Press, PO Box 809, Framingham MA 01701-0203; add $2.00 postage.
- 13 · Introduction · Mike Resnick · in
- 17 · James White · Walt Willis · ar Reinconation Program Book, 1992
- · Fiction
- 23 · Custom Fitting [Sector General] · nv Stellar #2, ed. Judy-Lynn del Rey, Ballantine, 1976
- 43 · Commuter · ss New Writings in SF. 21, ed. John Carnell, London: Sidgwick & Jackson, 1972
- 59 · House Sitter · ss *
- 79 · Sanctuary · nv Analog Dec 88
- 105 · Christmas Treason · nv F&SF Jan 62
- 125 · The Secret History of Sector General · ar Fokt #3 78
- 135 · Accident [Sector General] · nv Sector General, 1983
- 161 · Medic [OMaras Orphan; Sector General] · nv New Worlds Jan 60
- 191 · Countercharm [Sector General] · nv New Worlds Nov 60
- 209 · Visitor at Large [Sector General] · nv New Worlds Jun 59
- · Fan Writing
- 243 · An Introduction to Real Virtuality · Bruce Pelz · in *
- 247 · The Last Time I Saw Harris · ar Hyphen #2 52
- 251 · The Beacon · ar Hyphen #4 53
- 275 · The Not-So-Hot Gospeller · ar Hyphen #16 56
- 281 · The Long Afternoon of Harrogate · ar Hyphen #32 63
- 293 · The History of IF #3 · ar Hyphen #18 57
- 299 · The Quinze-y Report · ar Hyphen #19 58
- 323 · Fester on the Fringe · ar Hyphen #28 61-#31 62
- 345 · The Exorcists of IF · ar Hyphen #37 87
- 353 · The Unreal George Affair · ar Trap Door #9 90
- · More About Sector General
- 361 · Sector General Timeline · Gary Louie · ms *
- 365 · Notes on the Classification System · Misc. · ms
- 267 · The Classification System · Gary Louie · ms *
The Once and Future King T. H. White (Ace 0-441-00383-4, Oct 96 [Sep 96], $16.95, 677pp, tp) [Once and Future King] Reprint (Collins 1958) classic Arthurian fantasy.
Dark Charm Don Whittington (Avon Flare 0-380-78090-9, Sep 96 [Oct 96], $3.99, 122pp, pb) Young-adult horror novel. A blind hillbilly boy with special powers moves to Texas, where evil follows.
The Singing Sword Jack Whyte (Tor/Forge 0-312-85292-4, Oct 96 [Sep 96], $23.95, 383pp, hc, cover by Edmund Nagele) [Camulod Chronicles] Historical Arthurian novel, second book in The Camulod Chronicles. Roman soldiers in Britain try to keep civilization going after the fall of Rome. First US edition (Viking Canada 1993).
The Skystone Jack Whyte (Tor/Forge 0-312-86091-9, Feb 96 [Jan 96], $22.95, 352pp, hc, cover by John Howe & Paul Stinson) [Camulod Chronicles] Historical Arthurian novel, first book in The Camulod Chronicles. Roman soldiers in Britain retire there to build a fortress against the fall of Rome. First US edition (Viking Canada 1992).
The Skystone Jack Whyte (Tor 0-812-55138-9, Oct 96, $6.99, 494pp, pb, cover by John Howe & Paul Stinson) [Camulod Chronicles] Reprint (Viking Canada 1992) historical Arthurian novel, first book in The Camulod Chronicles.
Science Fiction On Radio: A Revised Look at 1950-1975 James F. Widner & Meade Frierson, III (AFAB 0-9639544-4-X, 1996 [Apr 96], $15.00, 194pp, spiral bound) Non-fiction guide to SF radio programs, both in the US and UK. Portions appeared previously in limited circulation works. Available from AFAB, PO Box 130969, Birmingham AL 35213-0969; orders 888-967-3437; postage is included in price.
Zeitgeist Todd Wiggins (Holt 0-8050-4417-5, Sep 96 [Oct 96], $17.95, 511pp, hc, cover by Raquel Jaramillo) Darkly satirical literary SF novel of the millennium. First US edition (Gollancz 1996).
Signs of Life Cherry Wilder (Tor 0-312-86171-0, May 96 [Apr 96], $23.95, 350pp, hc, cover by Nicholas Jainschigg) [Rhomary Land] SF novel set in Rhomary Land, scene of her first novel, Second Nature. A high-tech spaceship crashes and the low-tech Rhomarians have to rescue the survivers.
A Flush of Shadows Kate Wilhelm (Ballantine/Fawcett Crest 0-449-22434-1, Jun 96 [May 96], $5.99, 353pp, pb) [Charlie Meiklejohn; Constance Leidl] Reprint (St. Martins 1995) collection of five mystery/fantasy novellas featuring Constance Leidl and Charlie Meiklejohn.
Malice Prepense Kate Wilhelm (St. Martins 0-312-14364-8, Jul 96 [Jun 96], $24.95, 412pp, hc) Associational courtroom mystery.
Among Angels Nancy Willard & Jane Yolen (Harcourt Brace 0-15-100195-2, Nov 95 [Jan 96], $20.00, 55pp, hc, cover by Saelig Gallagher) Associational poetry book, mostly fantasy, illustrated by S. Saelig Gallagher.
The Price of Blood and Honor Elizabeth Willey (Tor 0-312-85784-5, Sep 96 [Aug 96], $25.95, 445pp, hc, cover by Charles Vess) [Well-Favored Man] Fantasy novel, third in the series that began with The Well-Favored Man. The feud between Prospero and his brother, Emperor Avril, breaks into open warfare.
A Sorcerer and a Gentleman Elizabeth Willey (Tor 0-812-55047-1, Jul 96 [Jun 96], $5.99, 469pp, pb, cover by Charles Vess) [Well-Favored Man] Reprint (Tor 1995) fantasy novel, a prequel to The Well-Favored Man, loosely derived from Shakespeares Tempest.
Arcady Michael Williams (Penguin/Roc 0-451-45500-2, Apr 96 [Mar 96], $12.95, 400pp, tp, cover by Romas Kukalis) [Arcady] Fantasy novel. Magical voids threaten to take over a land out of British Romantic poetry, where William Blakes works are religion, and John Milton is a saint.
Metal Fatigue Sean Williams (HarperCollinsAustralia 0-7322-5633-X, 1996 [May 96], A$12.95, 458pp, pb, cover by Greg Bridges) Near-future SF thriller. A walled-off city in the war-torn US holds too hard to the illusion of American superiority.
Hugo and Nebula Award Winners from Asimovs Science Fiction ed. Sheila Williams (Random House/Wings 0-517-12410-6, 1995 [Jan 96], $12.99, 558pp, hc) Anthology of 17 award-winning stories. This is an instant remainder edition.
Intergalactic Mercenaries ed. Sheila Williams & Cynthia Manson (Penguin/Roc 0-451-45580-0, Nov 96 [Oct 96], $5.99, 266pp, pb) Anthology of six military SF stories from Analog and Asimovs. Authors include Gordon R. Dickson, Frederik Pohl, and Lois McMaster Bujold.
The Dragonbone Chair Tad Williams (DAW 0-88677-384-9, Jan 97 [Dec 96], $6.99, 783pp, pb, cover by Michael Whelan) [Memory, Sorrow & Thorn] Reissue (DAW 1988) fantasy novel, first volume of Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn. 14th printing.
Otherland: City of Golden Shadow Tad Williams (DAW 0-88677-710-0, Nov 96 [Oct 96], $24.95, 770pp, hc, cover by Michael Whelan) [Otherland] Near-future SF novel, first in a new series. Mysterious appearances of a golden city in virtual reality lead investigators from around the world to a deadly conspiracy. Originally announced for January 1997, but moved up to November 1996.
Stone of Farewell Tad Williams (DAW 0-88677-480-2, Jan 97 [Dec 96], $6.99, 749pp, pb, cover by Michael Whelan) [Memory, Sorrow & Thorn] Reissue (DAW 1990) fantasy novel, second volume of Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn. 12th printing.
Tailchasers Song Tad Williams (DAW 0-88677-374-1, Jan 97 [Dec 96], $6.99, 375pp, pb, cover by Braldt Bralds) Reissue (DAW 1985) feline fantasy novel. 15th printing.
Map of Power Tess Williams (Random House Australia/Arrow 0-09-183328-0, Oct 96 [Nov 96], A$14.95, 506pp, pb, cover by Vivien Kubbos) Post-holocaust science fantasy novel. Humans survive in scattered communities in Australia and Antarctica, and on a forgotten skywheel in orbit.
City on Fire Walter Jon Williams (HarperPrism 0-06-105213-2, Jan 97 [Dec 96], $22.00, 498pp, hc, cover by Tim White) [Metropolitan] SF novel, sequel to Metropolitan.
Metropolitan Walter Jon Williams (HarperPrism 0-06-105441-0, Apr 96 [Mar 96], $5.99, 359pp, pb, cover by Phil Heffernan) [Metropolitan] Reprint (HarperPrism 1995) SF novel of a world-city where technology is powered by geomancy. A 1995 Nebula nominee.
Rock of Ages Walter Jon Williams (Tor 0-812-51382-7, Sep 96 [Aug 96], $5.99, 287pp, pb, cover by Romas Kukalis) [Drake Maijstral] Reprint (Tor 1995) humorous SF novel, third in the Drake Maijstral series.
The Crow: City of Angels Chet Williamson (Boulevard 1-57297-218-1, Aug 96 [Jul 96], $5.99, 250pp, pb) Novelization based on the second movie about the comic-book character. Copyrighted by EPREC Releasing.
Forgotten Realms: Murder In Cormyr Chet Williamson (TSR 0-7869-0486-0, Mar 96, $18.99, 247pp, hc, cover by Larry Elmore) [Forgotten Realms] Fantasy-mystery novelization based on the role-playing game. Copyrighted by TSR.
The Humanoids Jack Williamson (Tor/Orb 0-312-85253-3, Jan 96, $13.95, 300pp, tp, cover by Shelley Eshkar & Jan Uretsky) [Humanoids] Reprint (Simon & Schuster 1949) classic SF novel. Includes the prelude novella With Folded Hands, and illustrations by David G. Klein from the Easton Press (1988) edition.
Bellwether Connie Willis (Bantam Spectra 0-553-37562-8, Apr 96 [Mar 96], $11.95, 247pp, tp, cover by Bruce Jensen) Humorous SF short novel about chaos theory and predicting future fads.
Futures Imperfect Connie Willis (SFBC #11638, Jun 96 [May 96], $12.98, 408pp, hc, cover by William OConnor) Omnibus of three short novels originally published as separate books: Uncharted Territory (Bantam Spectra 1994), Remake (Ziesing 1994), Bellwether (Bantam Spectra 1996).
- 1 · Uncharted Territory · na Bantam Spectra, 1994
- 103 · Remake · na Mark V. Ziesing, 1994
- 225 · Bellwether · n. Bantam Spectra, 1996
Remake Connie Willis (Bantam Spectra 0-553-57441-8, Feb 96 [Jan 96], $5.99, 140pp, pb, cover by Gary Ruddell) Reprint (Ziesing 1994) SF novella about making virtual movies in the future.
Water Witch Connie Willis & Cynthia Felice (Ace 0-441-87380-4, Feb 96 [Jan 96], $4.99, 216pp, pb, cover by David Jarvis) Reissue (Ace 1982 as by Felice and Willis) SF novel.
Implant F. Paul Wilson (Tor/Forge 0-812-54470-6, Sep 96 [Aug 96], $6.99, 437pp, pb) Reprint (Headline 1995 as by Colin Andrews) associational high-tech medical suspense novel.
Mirage F. Paul Wilson & Matthew J. Costello (Warner 0-446-51976-6, Nov 96, $23.00, 374pp, hc) Near-future thriller of cyber-exploration of the mind, and murder. First US edition (Headline 1996).
Diagnosis: Terminal ed. F. Paul Wilson (Tor/Forge 0-312-85972-4, Jul 96, $23.95, 349pp, hc, cover by Robert Santara) Original anthology of 14 stories of medical terror, some with SF or supernatural elements. Authors include Karl Edward Wagner, Ed Gorman, Steven Spruill, and Matthew Costello.
Even Weirder Gahan Wilson (Tor/Forge 0-312-85885-X, Nov 96 [Oct 96], $16.95, 237pp, tp, cover by Gahan Wilson) Collection of cartoons by a master of weird humor.
Gahan Wilsons The Ultimate Haunted House ed. Gahan Wilson (HarperPrism 0-06-105315-5, Sep 96 [Aug 96], $15.00, 191pp, tp, cover by Gahan Wilson) Original anthology of 13 horror stories based on the art of Gahan Wilson. Authors include Kathe Koja, Norman Partridge, and Lucy Taylor. Nancy A. Collins is the Consulting Editor; there is an introduction and illustrations by Gahan Wilson. Packaged and copyrighted by Byron Preiss Visual Publications.
Paragons: Twelve Science Fiction Writers Ply Their Craft ed. Robin Wilson (St. Martins 0-312-14023-1, Apr 96 [Mar 96], $24.95, 368pp, hc) Anthology and writing guide, with 12 reprint stories accompanied by original essays. Authors include Pat Cadigan, Greg Bear, Lucius Shepard, and Howard Waldrop.
- ix · Introduction: To the Reader · Robin Wilson · in
- xiii · Editors Note · Robin Wilson · pr
- 1 · Plot: The Tangled Web · Robin Wilson · si
- 4 · The Price of Oranges · Nancy Kress · nv IASFM Apr 89
- 29 · One Damned Thing After Another · Nancy Kress · ar *
- 37 · Monsters · James Patrick Kelly · nv IASFM Jun 92
- 60 · Making Monsters · James Patrick Kelly · ar *
- 69 · Character: The Determinant of Incident · Robin Wilson · si
- 72 · Sisters · Greg Bear · nv Tangents, Warner, 1989
- 103 · Characters Great and Small in SF: Sisters · Greg Bear · ar *
- 106 · Rachel in Love · Pat Murphy · nv IASFM Apr 87
- 135 · Imaginary Friends · Pat Murphy · ar *
- 141 · Setting: A Local Habitation and a Name · Robin Wilson · si
- 143 · Glacier · Kim Stanley Robinson · nv IASFM Sep 88
- 164 · The Psychic Landscape · Kim Stanley Robinson · ar *
- 169 · Beast of the Heartland · Lucius Shepard · nv Playboy Sep 92
- 195 · God Is in the Details · Lucius Shepard · ar *
- 207 · Theme: To Mean Intensely · Robin Wilson · si
- 209 · Lily Red · Karen Joy Fowler · ss IASFM Jul 88
- 223 · Once More, with Meaning · Karen Joy Fowler · ar *
- 229 · Our Neural Chernobyl · Bruce Sterling · ss F&SF Jun 88
- 237 · About Our Neural Chernobyl · Bruce Sterling · ar *
- 243 · Point of View: Whos Minding the Store? · Robin Wilson · si
- 246 · Feedback · Joe Haldeman · nv Playboy Mar 93
- 273 · Point of View · Joe Haldeman · ar *
- 280 · Buddha Nostril Bird · John Kessel · nv IASFM Mar 90
- 301 · Uncle Henry, Uncle Zorp, and Crazy Cousin Bingo · John Kessel · ar *
- 309 · Style: The Dress of Thought · Robin Wilson · si
- 312 · Pretty Boy Crossover · Pat Cadigan · ss IASFM Jan 86
- 323 · The S Word · Pat Cadigan · ar *
- 326 · Fair Game · Howard Waldrop · nv Afterlives, ed. Pamela Sargent & Ian Watson, Vintage, 1986
- 342 · Iceberg, Goldberg, Its All the Same to Me... · Howard Waldrop · ar *
- 351 · A Workshop Lexicon [revised and expanded from The Turkey City Lexicon by Lewis Shiner] · Bruce Sterling · ar Interzone #39 90
- 365 · Contributors · Misc. · bg
Paragons: Twelve Science Fiction Writers Ply Their Craft ed. Robin Wilson (SFBC #12098, Sep 96 [Aug 96], $11.98, 368pp, hc) Reprint (St. Martins 1996) anthology and writing guide. This is similar to the St. Martins edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.