Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 1984-1998
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
Elric of Melniboné Michael Moorcock (Orion 0-75280-632-7, Dec 96 [Nov 96], £6.99, vi+690pp, pb, cover by Robert Gould) [Elric] Reprint (Millennium 1993) fantasy omnibus of three novels, Elric of Melniboné (1972), The Fortress of the Pearl (1989), Sailor on the Seas of Fate (1976); plus 3 short stories. The works were revised for their 1993 Millennium edition, and are further corrected for this paperback. Volume 8 in The Tale of the Eternal Champion.
- i · Introduction · in, 1993
- iv · Elric: The Age of the Young Kingdoms · James Cawthorn · il
- 7 · Elric of Melniboné · n. London: Hutchinson, 1972
- 163 · The Fortress of the Pearl · n. London: Gollancz, 1989
- 395 · Sailor on the Seas of Fate · n. London: Quartet, 1976
- 569 · The Dreaming City · nv Science-Fantasy #47 61
- 569 · While the Gods Laugh · nv Science-Fantasy #49 61
- 569 · The Singing Citadel · nv The Fantastic Swordsmen, ed. L. Sprague de Camp, Pyramid, 1967
Fabulous Harbours Michael Moorcock (Orion 1-85798-312-2, Aug 96 [Jul 96], £5.99, 228pp, pb, cover by Gustav Moreau) [Begg Family] Reprint (Millennium 1995) literary SF collection in a Begg Family trilogy; a sequel to Blood.
Jerusalem Commands Michael Moorcock (Phoenix 1-85799-187-7, Jan 96 [Dec 95], £6.99, 577pp, tp) [Pyat] Reprint (Cape 1992) associational novel. Third novel in the Pyat quartet.
A Nomad of the Time Streams Michael Moorcock (Millennium 1-85798-448-X, Jun 96 [Jul 96], £6.99, 549pp, pb, cover by Mark Reeve) [Oswald Bastable] Reprint (SFBC 1982 as The Nomad of Time) SF omnibus of the 3 Oswald Bastable adventures, The Warlord of the Air (NEL, 1971), The Land Leviathan (Quartet, 1974), and The Steel Tsar (Granada, 1981). All three books were revised, the last very extensively, for their appearance in the 1993 Millennium edition, and are further corrected for this paperback. Volume 6 in The Tale of the Eternal Champion.
Sailing to Utopia Michael Moorcock (Millennium 1-85798-306-8, Apr 96, £6.99, iv+547pp, pb, cover by Yoshitaka Amano) [Eternal Champion] Reprint (Millennium 1993) omnibus of The Ice Schooner (Berkley 1969), The Black Corridor (Mayflower 1969), The Distant Suns (Unicorn Books 1975) and Flux. All have been further revised for this paperback edition. Volume 5 in The Tale of the Eternal Champion.
- i · Foreword · fw
- iii · The Ice Schooner · n. New York: Berkley, 1969
- 213 · The Black Corridor · Michael Moorcock & Hilary Bailey · n. London: Mayflower, 1969; the collaboration with Bailey is only mentioned in the foreword.
- 369 · The Distant Suns [as by Michael Moorcock and Philip James] · Michael Moorcock & James Cawthorn · n. Nant Gwilw, Llanfyndd, Carmarthen, Dyfed: Unicorn Books, 1975; the collaboration with Cawthorn is only mentioned in the foreword.
- 513 · Flux · Michael Moorcock & Barrington J. Bayley · nv New Worlds Jul 63; the collaboration with Bayley is only mentioned in the foreword.
The War Amongst the Angels Michael Moorcock (Millennium 1-85798-411-0, Sep 96 [Aug 96], £9.99 , 247pp, tp, cover by Gustav Moreau) [Von Bek] Literary SF novel. Last in The Second Ether trilogy, a Von Bek Family series. A hardcover edition (-410-2, £15.99) is also available.
New Worlds No. 221 ed. Michael Moorcock (Jayde Design 0-9520074-2-8, Nov 96, £10.00, 64pp, tp) Anthology in large magazine format, published to celebrate the 50th anniversary of New Worlds magazine. Internally dated Winter 1996. Available from 45 St Marys Mansions, St Marys Terrace, London W2 1SH.
- 3 · Introduction · Michael Moorcock · in *
- 4 · London Luminaries and Cockney Visionaries · Peter Ackroyd · ar, 1993; full text of LWT London Lecture at the V&A, 1993.
- 12 · Two Poems · Libby Houston · gp
- · Childe Rolande Takes on the Dark Tower One More Time · Libby Houston · pm Necessities, 1988
- · At The Mercy · Libby Houston · pm At The Mercy, Allison & Busby, 1981
- 18 · The Law Against Trivia · Brian W. Aldiss · ss *
- 24 · The Time of the Time Machine · Michael Moorcock · ar *; restored version of original in The Time Machine (Everyman, 1993).
- 31 · Shabby Weddings · Jack Trevor Story · ex *; first chapter extracted from last novel, Shabby Weddings.
- 38 · Race, Sex, and Speech in Amerika · Andrea Dworkin · ar *; due in book Life and Death (Free Press, 1996).
- 46 · No More Yoga of the Night Club · Iain Sinclair · ss *
- 57 · The Mad Bomber Upstairs: A Tale for the Millennium · Harvey Jacobs · ss *
Voice of the Fire Alan Moore (Gollancz 0-575-05249-X, Oct 96, £9.99, 320pp, tp, cover by Robert Mason & Gary Day-Ellison) Literary fantasy mosaic novel. A tour-de-force of language. Illustrated by Cilff Harper.
Ghostly Haunts ed. Michael Morpurgo (Collins 0-00-675116-4, Oct 95 [May 96], £3.99, 222pp, tp, cover by Paul Young) Reprint (Collins 1994) young-adult anthology. Published in 1995, but not seen until now. The original 1994 hardback was not seen.
The Secret of Anatomy Mark Morris (HarperCollins UK 0-00-649043-3, Jan 96, £5.99, 610pp, pb, cover by Bob Warner) Reprint (Piatkus 1994) horror novel.
The Well at the Worlds End William Morris (Alan Sutton 0-7509-1207-3, Aug 96 [Jul 96], £7.99, x+657pp, tp, cover by Sir Edward Burne-Jones) Reprint (Kelmscott Press 1896) classic fantasy novel. There is an introduction by Nicholas Salmon.
Tales of Terror from Blackwoods Magazine ed. Robert Morrison & Chris Baldick (Oxford University Press 0-19-282366-3, Nov 95 [Feb 96], £5.99, 298pp, pb, cover by Antoine Wiertz) Anthology of 17 gothic horror tales from Blackwells Edinburgh Magazine.
- vii · Introduction · Robert Morrison & Chris Baldick · in
- xix · Note on the Text · Misc. · bi
- xx · Select Bibliography · Misc. · bi
- xxii · Chronology of Blackwoods Magazine · Misc. · ms
- 3 · Sketch of a Tradition Related by a Monk in Switzerland [as by P. F.] · Patrick Fraser-Tytler · ss Blackwoods Jun, 1817
- 9 · Narrative of a Fatal Event [as by Tweedside] · Walter Scott · ss Blackwoods Mar, 1818
- 19 · Extracts from Gosschens Diary [as by Anon.] · John Wilson · ss Blackwoods Aug, 1818
- 25 · A Night in the Catacombs [as by E.] · Daniel Keyte Sandford · ss Blackwoods Oct, 1818
- 35 · The Buried Alive [as by Anon.] · John Galt · ss Blackwoods Oct, 1821
- 39 · The Floating Beacon [as by Anon.] · John Howison · nv Blackwoods Oct, 1821
- 61 · The Man in the Bell [as by Anon.] · William Maginn · ss Blackwoods Nov, 1821
- 67 · The Last Man · Anon. · ss Blackwoods Mar, 1826
- 73 · Le Revenant [as by Anon.] · Henry Thomson · ss Blackwoods Apr, 1827
- 89 · The Murder Hole [as by Anon.] · Catherine Sinclair · ss Blackwoods Feb, 1829
- 97 · Heat and Thirst, A Scene in Jamaica [as by Anon.] · Michael Scott · ss Blackwoods Jun, 1830
- 101 · The Iron Shroud [as by The Author of First and Last] · William Mudford · ss Blackwoods Aug, 1830
- 115 · The Mysterious Bride [as by The Ettrick Shepherd] · James Hogg · ss Blackwoods Dec, 1830
- 131 · The Executioner [as by Syphax] · William Godwin the Younger · nv Blackwoods Feb, 1832 (+1)
- 181 · A Man about Town [as by Anon.] · Samuel Warren · nv Blackwoods Dec, 1830
- 215 · The Spectre-Smitten [as by Anon.] · Samuel Warren · nv Blackwoods Feb, 1831
- 243 · The Thunder-Struck and The Boxer [as by Anon.] · Samuel Warren · nv Blackwoods Sep, 1832
- 281 · Biographical Notes · Robert Morrison & Chris Baldick · bg
- 285 · Explanatory Notes · Robert Morrison & Chris Baldick · ms
Babylon 5: Clarks Law Jim Mortimore (Boxtree 0-7522-0153-0, Mar 96, £4.99, 279pp, pb, cover by Keith Parkinson) Novelisation, fourth in the series derived from the TV series.
The World on Blood Jonathan Nasaw (Hodder & Stoughton 0-340-67446-6, Jun 96 [May 96], £16.99, 361pp, hc, cover by George Underwood) Dark fantasy novel. Contemporary vampires take a pledge to give up drinking blood.
The World on Blood Jonathan Nasaw (NEL 0-340-67447-4, Nov 96 [Oct 96], £5.99, 361pp, pb, cover by George Underwood) Reprint (Penguin/Dutton 1996) associational dark non-fantasy vampire novel about blood addiction.
Last Human Doug Naylor (Penguin 0-14-014388-2, Nov 95 [Feb 96], £5.99, 310pp, pb) [Red Dwarf] Reprint (Viking UK 1995) humorous SF novelization. Third novel based on the Red Dwarf TV series.
The Bloody Red Baron Kim Newman (Simon & Schuster UK 0-684-81744-6, May 96 [Jul 96], £14.99, 358pp, hc, cover by Fred Gambino) [Dracula] Reprint (Carroll & Graf 1995) horror novel. Sequel to Anno Dracula. [First U.K. edition]
The Book of Shadows Stan Nicholls (Scholastic UK 0-590-13272-5, Jun 96, £3.99, 281pp, pb, cover by Paul Young) [Nightshade Chronicles] Young-adult fantasy novel. Volume 1 in The Nightshade Chronicles trilogy.
The Pathless Way Adam Nichols (Millennium 1-85798-435-8, Nov 96, £9.99, 407pp, tp, cover by Kenson Low) [War of the Lords Veil] Fantasy novel, set in the same world as War of the Lords Veil. A hardcover edition (-434-X, £15.99) is also available.
The Chestnut Soldier Jenny Nimmo (Mammoth 0-7497-0150-1, Apr 96 [May 96], £3.99, 168pp, pb, cover by Bruce Hogarth) [Snow Spider] Reissue (Methuen 1989) young-adult fantasy novel. Last in the trilogy. Fourth printing.
Emlyns Moon Jenny Nimmo (Mammoth 0-7497-0140-4, Apr 96 [May 96], £3.99, 158pp, pb, cover by Bruce Hogarth) [Snow Spider] Reprint (Methuen 1987) young-adult fantasy novel. Second in the trilogy. Internally dated 1995.
The Snow Spider Jenny Nimmo (Mammoth 0-7497-0831-X, Apr 96 [May 96], £3.99, 143pp, pb, cover by Bruce Hogarth) [Snow Spider] Reprint (Methuen 1986) young-adult fantasy novel. First in the trilogy.
The Ringworld Throne Larry Niven (Orbit 1-85723-399-9, Jul 96, £16.99, 376pp, hc, cover by John Harris) [Ringworld] Reprint (Del Rey 1996) SF novel in the Known Space series. Third in the sequence after the award-winning Ringworld and Ringworld Engineers. [First U.K. edition]
The Dragons of Heorot Larry Niven, Jerry Pournelle & Steven Barnes (Orbit 1-85723-373-5, Sep 96, £6.99, 595pp, pb, cover by Fred Gambino) [Heorot] Reprint (Gollancz 1995) SF novel set twenty years after The Legacy of Heorot. The colonys children explore the mysterious mainland. Published in the US as Beowulfs Children.
Automated Alice Jeff Noon (Doubleday UK 0-385-40808-0, Nov 96 [Oct 96], £14.99, 252pp, hc, cover by John Tenniel & Ian Murray) [Alice] Reprint (Crown 1996) literary fantasy novel, illustrated by Harry Trumbore. [First U.K. edition]
Pollen Jeff Noon (Pan 0-330-33882-X, Nov 96, £5.99, 327pp, pb) [Vurt] Reprint (Ringpull 1995) literary SF novel. A sequel to Vurt.
Pawns Dream Eric Nylund (Hodder & Stoughton 0-340-66707-9, Feb 96 [Jan 96], £16.99, 345pp, hc, cover by Mick Van Houten) Reprint (AvoNova 1995) fantasy novel. A grocery clerk dreams he is a monk in a magical world dreaming of our own world. A first novel. [First U.K. edition]
Pawns Dream Eric Nylund (NEL 0-340-64948-8, Jul 96, £5.99, 345pp, pb, cover by Mick Van Houten) Reprint (AvoNova 1995) fantasy novel.
The Man in the Velvet Mask Daniel OMahony (Doctor Who Books 0-426-20461-1, Feb 96, £4.99, 250pp, pb, cover by Alister Pearson) [Doctor Who: Missing Adventures] Original novel based on the Doctor Who TV series. This is a world-wide edition, available in the US for $5.95. In The Missing Adventures.
Doctor Who: Sleepy Kate Orman (Doctor Who Books 0-426-20465-4, Mar 96 [Apr 96], £4.99, 257pp, pb, cover by Mark Wilkinson) [Doctor Who: New Adventures] Original novel based on the Doctor Who TV series. This is a world-wide edition, available in the US for $5.95. In The New Adventures.
Return of the Living Dad Kate Orman (Doctor Who Books 0-426-20482-4, Aug 96, £4.99, 281pp, pb, cover by Mark Wilkinson) [Doctor Who: New Adventures] Original novel based on the Doctor Who TV series. This is a world-wide edition, available in the US for $5.95. Volume 53 in The New Adventures.
Nineteen Eighty-Four George Orwell (Secker & Warburg 0-436-20424-X, Sep 96 [Oct 96], £6.99, 314pp, hc)  Reissue (Secker & Warburg 1949) SF novel. One of a number of titles produced for and sold only in Waterstones bookshops.
Human Factor Jessica Palmer (Scholastic UK 0-590-13385-3, Nov 96 [Dec 96], £3.99, 281pp, pb, cover by David Wyatt) [Random Factor] Young-adult SF novel; sequel to Random Factor.
Memory Seed Stephen Palmer (Orbit 1-85723-376-X, Apr 96 [Mar 96], £5.99, 405pp, pb) SF novel. The last city of humanity about to succumb to exotic vegetation. A first novel.
Dominator Warren James Palmer (Ripping Publishing 1-899884-02-5, Jun 96 [Jul 96], £5.99, 416pp, pb, cover by Warren James Palmer) [Dyason] SF novel, intertwining space opera and Arthurian myth. Book Two of The Dyason, after Minds of the Empire. Available from Macmillan Direct, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS.
Cold Fusion Lance Parkin (Doctor Who Books 0-426-20489-1, Dec 96, £4.99, 293pp, pb) [Doctor Who: Missing Adventures] Original novel based on the Doctor Who TV series. This is a world-wide edition, available in the US for $5.95. Volume 29 in The Missing Adventures.
Doctor Who: Just War Lance Parkin (Doctor Who Books 0-426-20463-8, Jan 96, £4.99, 257pp, pb, cover by Nick Spender) [Doctor Who: New Adventures] Original novel based on the Doctor Who TV series. This is a world-wide edition, available in the US for $5.95. In The New Adventures.
Countess Dracula Michel Parry (Redemption Books 1-899634-00-2, 1995 [Apr 96], £7.99, 149pp, tp) [Dracula] Reprint (Sphere 1971) horror novelization. This edition features 8 pages of stills from the movie, and a new introduction by Parry.
Boy in Darkness Mervyn Peake (Hodder Childrens Books 0-340-68323-6, Sep 96 [Aug 96], £9.99, 115pp, hc, cover by P. J. Lynch) [Gormenghast] Fantasy novella about Titus Groan, originally published in the anthology Sometime, Never in 1956. This is its first separate publication. Illustrated by P.J. Lynch.
The Young Oxford Book of Ghost Stories ed. Dennis Pepper (Oxford University Press 0-19-278145-6, Sep 96 [Oct 96], £6.99, 314pp, tp) Reprint (Oxford University Press 1994) anthology of unusual ghost stories, including several originals.
The Young Oxford Book of Supernatural Stories ed. Dennis Pepper (Oxford University Press 0-19-278146-4, Sep 96 [Dec 96], £12.99, viii+216pp, hc) Young-adult dark fantasy anthology of 24 stories, 6 original.
- vii · Introduction · Dennis Pepper · in
- 1 · Moving House · Marian Abbey · ss *
- 16 · The Girl in the Mirror · Margot Arnold · ss The Eighth Armada Ghost Book, ed. Mary Danby, Armada, 1976
- 22 · The Werewolf · Angela Carter · vi The Bloody Chamber and Other Tales, London: Gollancz, 1979; revised from original in South-West Arts Review #2, Oct 77.
- 25 · Goodmans Tenants · Michael Chislett · ss All Hallows #10 95
- 36 · Mother · Stephen Elboz · ss *
- 41 · Captain Ashes Daughter · Adèle Geras · ss A Lane to the Land of the Dead and other stories of the supernatural, Hamilton, 1994
- 52 · Bewitched · John Gordon · ss *
- 66 · The Flying Dustman · Mick Gowar · ss *
- 70 · The Intake · Grace Hallworth · ss Mouth Open Story Jump Out, London: Methuen, 1984
- 73 · Dog on Board · Dennis Hamley · ss *
- 83 · Woman of the Snow · Lafcadio Hearn · ss
- 88 · Bridgey · Brian Jacques · ss Seven Strange and Ghostly Tales, London: Hutchinson, 1991
- 100 · The Ash-Tree · M. R. James · ss Ghost Stories of an Antiquary, Edward Arnold, 1904
- 115 · The Tomb of Sarah · F. G. Loring · ss The Pall Mall Magazine Dec 00
- 129 · The Hirn · Philippa Pearce · ss Whos Afraid? and Other Strange Stories, Kestrel/Penguin, 1986
- 140 · The Baby-Sitter · Alison Prince · ss The Thirteenth Armada Ghost Book, ed. Mary Danby, Armada, 1981
- 150 · The Water Woman and Her Lover · Ralph Prince · ss BIM v13 #53
- 157 · The Gloves · Garnett Radcliffe · ss Weird Tales Jan 53
- 164 · Do You Dance? · Laurence Staig · ss *
- 175 · The Junk Room · Terry Tapp · ss The Fourteenth Armada Ghost Book, ed. Mary Danby, Armada, 1982
- 188 · Blind Mans Buff · H. Russell Wakefield · ss Old Mans Beard, Bles, 1929
- 193 · The Tibetan Box · Elizabeth Walker · nv Snowfall and Other Chilling Events, London: Harvill Press, 1965
- 213 · Momster in the Closet · Jane Yolen · vi Bruce Covilles Book of Monsters, ed. Bruce Coville, Scholastic/Apple, 1993
The Short Cut Mark Pepper (Hodder & Stoughton 0-340-68220-5, Nov 96 [Oct 96], £16.99, 230pp, hc, cover by Chris Moore) Dark fantasy novel. A struggling actor gets a new agent with a wicked way with clients. A first novel.
Dark Matter Michael Perkins (Eros Plus 1-85286-636-5, Jan 96 [Feb 96], £5.99, 254pp, pb) Erotic SF novel set in a dystopian 1999.
Aliens: The Labyrinth S. D. Perry (Millennium 1-85798-485-4, Nov 96, £14.99, 216pp, hc, cover by John Bolton) [Aliens] Reprint (Bantam Spectra 1996) SF novelization. Volume 9 overall in the series. First world hardcover. [First U.K. edition]
Aliens: Omnibus Edition: The Female War/Genocide Steve Perry (Millennium 1-85798-454-4, Jan 96, £5.99, 585pp, pb, cover by David Dorman) [Aliens] Omnibus of Books 3 and 4 in the series. The cover title is Aliens: Omnibus Volume 2.
Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire Steve Perry (Bantam UK 0-593-04040-6, Jun 96 [Apr 96], £12.99, 340pp, hc, cover by Drew Struzan) [Star Wars] Star Wars novelisation.
The Omnibus of 20th Century Ghost Stories ed. Robert Phillips (Robinson 1-85487-113-7, Oct 96, £7.99, x+374pp, tp, cover by Roy Colmer) Reissue (Carroll & Graf 1989 as Triumph of the Night: Tales of Terror and the Supernatural) ghost/horror anthology.
The Realms of the Gods Tamora Pierce (Scholastic UK 0-590-13376-4, Mar 96, £3.99, 331pp, pb, cover by David Wyatt) [Immortals] Young-adult fantasy novel. Last in the Immortals quartet.
The Last Vampire 3: Red Dice Christopher Pike (Hodder Childrens Books 0-340-61172-3, Oct 95 [Jun 96], £3.99, 198pp, pb, cover by Paul Davies) [Last Vampire] Reprint (Pocket Archway 1995) young-adult vampire novel. Third in the series. The vampires are now FBI agents threatened by DNA-sucking scientists. Issued in 1995, but not seen until now. [First U.K. edition]
The Lost Mind Christopher Pike (Hodder Childrens Books 0-340-61173-1, Jan 96, £3.99, 213pp, pb) Reprint (Archway 1995) young-adult horror novel. [First U.K. edition]
Monster Christopher Pike (Hodder Childrens Books 0-340-59020-3, Oct 96, £3.99, 190pp, pb, cover by Paul Young) Reprint (Archway 1992) young-adult horror novel; ninth printing.
Remember Me Christopher Pike (Hodder Childrens Books 0-340-53236-X, Aug 95 [Feb 96], £3.99, 238pp, pb, cover by Mark Longworth) [Remember Me] Reissue (Archway 1989) young-adult horror novel. First in the series. The 10th printing.