! Copyright (c) 2005 by William G. Contento >
Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 1999
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
Dark Is the Moon Ian Irvine (Penguin Australia 0-14-027681-5, Apr 99 [Jul 99], A$16.95, 674pp, pb, cover by Mark Sofilas) [Three Worlds: View from the Mirror] Fantasy novel, Volume Three in The View from the Mirror quartet. This was not seen previously, but indicates second printing.
A Shadow on the Glass Ian Irvine (Penguin Australia 0-14-027196-1, Apr 98 [Jul 99], A$16.95, 586pp, pb, cover by Mark Sofilas) [Three Worlds: View from the Mirror] Fantasy novel, Volume One in The View from the Mirror quartet. Three worlds, each with their own human species, are set off-balance by the arrival of a fourth race. This was published in 1998, but not seen until now; the copyright page indicates third printing.
The Tower on the Rift Ian Irvine (Penguin Australia 0-14-027680-7, Oct 98 [Jul 99], A$16.95, 664pp, pb, cover by Mark Sofilas) [Three Worlds: View from the Mirror] Fantasy novel, Volume Two in The View from the Mirror quartet. Three species of humans seek the knowledge of the Twisted Mirror. This was published in 1998, but not seen until now.
The Way Between the Worlds Ian Irvine (Penguin Australia 0-14-027682-3, Sep 99 [Nov 99], A$16.95, 635pp, pb, cover by Mark Sofilas) [Three Worlds: View from the Mirror] Fantasy novel, fourth and final in The View from the Mirror quartet. Rulke the Charon begins to open the Way between the Worlds.
The Daughters of Bast: The Hidden Land Sarah Isidore (Avon Eos 0-380-80318-6, Sep 99, $6.50, 373pp, pb, cover by Rowena Morrill) [Daughters of Bast] Celtic/Egyptian fantasy novel. A young Celtic woman in ancient Gaul uses ancient Egyptian secrets to defend her people from invading Romans.
Deepdrive Alexander Jablokov (Avon Eos 0-380-79715-1, Oct 99, $5.99, 311pp, pb, cover by Gregory Bridges) Reprint (Avon Eos 1998) SF novel.
The Haunting Shirley Jackson (Penguin US 0-14-028743-4, Jul 99, $11.95, 246pp, tp) Reprint (Viking 1959 as The Haunting of Hill House) classic haunted-house novel. This is a movie tie-in edition.
Dread in the Beast Charlee Jacob (Necro Publications 1-889186-11-2, Feb 99 [Apr 99], $12.95, 213pp, tp, cover by Brandy Gill) Collection of 16 hardcore horror stories, six original. This is a signed limited edition of 300; a sold-out hardcover, limited edition of 52 (-12-0, $45.00) was announced but not seen. Copyrighted 1998, but did not appear until 1999. Order from Necro Publications, PO Box 540298, Orlando FL 32854-0298; add $1.50 postage.
- 9 · Behold · ss *
- 27 · The Border in Zen · nv *
- 63 · Darktouch · ss Stygian Articles Spr 96
- 73 · Dread in the Beast · nv *
- 111 · Drunken Devils, Sainted Wives · ss Palace Corbie #6 95
- 117 · Fire · ss Bloodsongs #9 97
- 123 · Annas Thesia · ss Aberrations #18 94
- 137 · Golem Girl and the Crypt of Space · ss Symphonies Gift #1 95
- 143 · Grafts of Delicate Lace · ss *
- 151 · Mercy · ss *
- 163 · Mortal Wound · ss Redcat, 1994
- 169 · Nightberry · ss Aberrations #33 95
- 183 · Woman in Red · ss The 1995 SPGA Showcase, ed. David G. Barnett & Bobbi Sinha-Morey, Concord, CA: SPGA, 1996
- 193 · Scalpel Mouth · ss Symphonies Gift #4 95
- 199 · Shining · ss Stygian Articles Spr 95
- 205 · Through Venetian Blinds · ss *
Ramses V: Under the Western Acacia Christian Jacq (Warner 0-446-67360-9, Mar 99, $14.99, 356pp, tp, cover by Marc Burkhardt) [Ramses] Historical novel of ancient Egypt, with fantasy elements. Volume five of five. Translated by Mary Feeney from the French (Laffont 1996 as Sous lacacia dOccident). First US edition (Simon & Schuster UK 1/99).
The Long Patrol Brian Jacques (Ace 0-441-00599-3, Feb 99 [Jan 99], $5.99, 318pp, pb, cover by Troy Howell) [Redwall] Reprint (Hutchinson 1997) young-adult talking animal fantasy in the Redwall series.
Mariel of Redwall Brian Jacques (Avon 0-380-71922-3, Jun 99 [Jul 99], $5.99, 387pp, pb, cover by Tom Canty) [Redwall] Reissue (Hutchinson 1991) YA talking-animal fantasy in the Redwall series. 15th printing.
Mattimeo Brian Jacques (Ace 0-441-00610-8, Feb 99 [Jan 99], $6.50, 432pp, pb, cover by Troy Howell) [Redwall] Reprint (Hutchinson 1989) young-adult talking animal fantasy in the Redwall series.
Seven Strange & Ghostly Tales Brian Jacques (Penguin/Paperstar 0-698-11808-1, Aug 99 [Jul 99], $5.99, 137pp, tp, cover by Kevin Hawkes) Reprint (Hutchinson 1991) young-adult collection.
Rock n Roll Babes from Outer Space Linda Jaivin (Random House/Broadway 0-7679-0200-9, Apr 99, $13.00, 278pp, tp) Reprint (Text Publishing, Australia 1996) humorous SF novel.
Monstrum Donald James (Ballantine/Ivy 0-8041-1891-4, Feb 99 [Jan 99], $6.99, 436pp, pb, cover by Greg Clark) [Monstrum] Reprint (Century 1997) near-future thriller. A serial killer terrorizes Moscow in 2015.
A Cthulhu Mythos: Bibliography & Concordance Chris Jarocha-Ernst (Armitage House 1-887797-01-7, Mar 99 [Apr 99], $27.95, 463pp, tp, cover by John T. Snyder) Non-fiction, reference. A self-proclaimed idiosyncratic bibliography listing first publications of Lovecraftian Cthulhu Mythos fiction, poetry, and some supposed non-fiction. Includes relevant letters by Lovecraft. There is a concordance, an index by title, and lists of selected collections, anthologies, and references. Order from Armitage House, 5536 25th Ave NE, Seattle WA 98105-2415; add $3.00 shipping.
Shiva 3000 Jan Lars Jensen (Harcourt Brace 0-15-100454-4, Jul 99 [Jun 99], $24.00, 284pp, hc) SF novel. The gods of the Hindu pantheon walk far-future Earth. A first novel.
Millennium Rising Jane Jensen (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-43034-4, Oct 99 [Sep 99], $24.00, 430pp, hc, cover by John Picacio) Millennial thriller. A Vatican investigator and a reporter seek the truth behind apparent portents of the end of the world.
Noir K. W. Jeter (Bantam Spectra 0-553-57638-0, Sep 99 [Aug 99], $6.99, 484pp, pb, cover by Broeck Steadman) Reprint (Bantam 1998) near-future SF noir mystery.
Star Wars: Hard Merchandise K. W. Jeter (Bantam Spectra 0-553-57891-X, Jul 99 [Jun 99], $5.99, 338pp, pb, cover by Stephen Youll) [Star Wars: Bounty Hunter Wars] Star Wars novelization, third in the Bounty Hunter Wars. Copyrighted by Lucasfilm.
Star Wars: The Bounty Hunter Wars K. W. Jeter (SFBC #19794, Jul 99 [Aug 99], $15.98, 758pp, hc, cover by Stephen Youll) [Star Wars: Bounty Hunter Wars] Omnibus of three Star Wars novelizations in the trilogy: The Mandalorian Armor (1998), Slave Ship (1998), and Hard Merchandise (1999). This special SFBC edition has ISBN 0-7394-0277-3; it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket. Copyrighted by Lucasfilm.
- 1 · The Mandalorian Armor · n. Bantam Spectra, 1998
- 269 · Slave Ship · n. Bantam Spectra, 1998
- 497 · Hard Merchandise · n. Bantam Spectra, 1999
Lady Ferry and Other Uncanny People Sarah Orne Jewett (Ash-Tree Press 1-899562-56-7, Oct 98 [Jan 99], $49.95, 146+xxiv, hc, cover by Deborah McMillion-Nering) Collection of 11 supernatural stories, edited and with an introduction by Jessica Amanda Salmonson. Preface by Joanna Russ. This is a limited edition of 500.
- ix · Preface · Joanna Russ · pr
- xv · Sara Orne Jewetts Imaginative Realism · Jessica Amanda Salmonson · in [Sarah Orne Jewett]
- 3 · Lady Ferry · nv Old Friends and New, Houghton, 1879
- 26 · In Dark New England Days · ss The Century Oct, 1890
- 42 · A Sorrowful Guest · ss Sunday Afternoon Jul, 1879
- 59 · The Captains [from Deephaven] · ex Boston: Osgood, 1877
- 65 · Captain Littlepage and the Waiting Place · ss The Country of the Pointed Firs, Houghton Mifflin, 1896
- 74 · The Landscape Chamber · ss Atlantic Monthly Nov, 1887
- 89 · The Green Bowl [as by Anon.] · ss New York Herald Nov 3 02
- 104 · The Foreigner · nv Atlantic Monthly Aug 00
- 126 · Beyond the Toll-Gate · ss Play Days, Osgood, 1878
- 134 · The House That Ran Away · ss The Independent Sep 14, 1871
- 141 · The Gray Man · ss A White Heron, Houghton Mifflin, 1886
Tesseracts7 ed. Paula Johanson & Jean-Louis Trudel (Tesseract 1-895836-59-X, Nov 98 [Feb 99], $22.95, 283pp, tp, cover by Gerry Dotto) Original anthology of 25 stories and vignettes (including eight scattered, related vignettes counted as one story) and 10 poems by Canadian writers. Authors include Elisabeth Vonarburg, Jan Lars Jensen, Andrew Weiner, Candas Jane Dorsey, and Yves Meynard. Introduction by Trudel, afterword by Johanson. A trade paperback edition (-58-1, $9.95) is also available. Order from Tesseract Books, The Books Collective, 214-21 Jasper Ave, Edmonton AB Canada T5J 3S2.
Dakota Dreamin Bill Johnson (Cascade Mountain Publishing, Aug 99, $12.95, 183pp, tp) Collection of 11 stories, one original. Includes the Hugo Award winning We Will Drink a Fish Together, and a new introduction by the author. Order from Cascade Mountain Publishing, 1652 NW Summit Dr, Bend OR 97701; 800-981-6889.
- 7 · Introduction · in
- 9 · Meet Me at Apogee · nv Analog May 82
- 31 · Stormfall · ss Clarion SF, ed. Kate Wilhelm, Berkley, 1977
- 39 · Respect · ss Analog Jun 85
- 54 · Every Choice Has a Price · ss *
- 74 · Evelyns Children · ss Analog Dec 91
- 87 · Send Random Romantic · ss Amazing Dec 92
- 96 · A Matter of Thirst · ss Aboriginal SF Sep/Oct 89
- 113 · Motivational Engineers · ss Analog Jan 96
- 124 · Streetwise · ss Analog Jul 92
- 137 · One Quiet Night · ss Pulphouse Sep/Oct 92
- 145 · We Will Drink a Fish Together... · nv Asimovs May 97
All of Us Are Dying and Other Stories George Clayton Johnson (Subterranean Press 1-892284-21-9, Aug 99 [Dec 99], $40.00, 464pp, hc, cover by Burt Shonberg) Collection of 23 stories, ten original, plus three screenplays, eight story treatments, pieces on writing for TV and film, and occasional commentary by Johnson. Introduction by Christopher Conlon; afterword by Dennis Etchison. This is a signed, limited edition of 600; a lettered edition is also available (-22-7, $195.00) Order from Subterranean Press, PO Box 190106, Burton MI 48519; www.subterraneanpress.com
- 7 · Voice from the Twilight Zone: Encountering George Clayton Johnsonand Myself · Christopher Conlon · in
- 17 · Your Three Minutes Are Up · ss Twilight Zone Jun 89
- 23 · The Ring of Truth · ss MetaHorror, ed. Dennis Etchison, Dell Abyss, 1992
- 31 · Dealers Choice · ss Rogue Nov 63
- 35 · The Freeway · ss Gamma #1 63
- 47 · Devlins Dream · vi F&SF Sep 77
- 51 · The Man with the Hoe · ss Cutting Edge, ed. Dennis Etchison, Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1986
- 62 · Lullaby and Goodnight · ss Gamma #5 65
- 66 · The Cold at the End of the Pier · ss Chase #2 63
- 70 · Drum Dancer · ss
- 76 · The Hornet · ss Rogue Sep 62
- 81 · A Bicycle Like a Flame · ss *
- 87 · All of Us Are Dying · ss Rogue Oct 61
- 94 · A Note from the Underground · ss *
- 97 · Interview Interlude: On Television Scripts · Christopher Conlon · iv * [George Clayton Johnson]
- 99 · Writing for the Tube, or the Great Telephone Mindspace in the Sky · ar *
- 110 · The Twilight Zone: Nothing in the Dark · pl Scripts and stories Written for The Twilight Zone, Valcour & Kreuger/Shroud, 1977; broadcast on CBS television, January 5, 1962.
- 136 · The Law and Mr. Jones: The Boy Who Said No · pl *
- 175 · Interview Interlude: On Television Story Outlines · Christopher Conlon · iv * [George Clayton Johnson]
- 178 · TV Stories · ar *
- 181 · The Creatures Blood · pl *
- 194 · Kung Fu: The Demon God · pl *
- 203 · The Twilight Zone: A Penny for Your Thoughts · pl Scripts and stories Written for The Twilight Zone, Valcour & Kreuger/Shroud, 1977
- 211 · Movie of the Week: Mans World · pl *
- 222 · The Twilight Zone: The Prime Mover · pl *
- 232 · Sea Change · pl *
- 241 · Star Trek: Rock-a-Bye BabyOr Die! · pl *
- 247 · Lovecraft: A Movie Proposal · ms *
- 255 · Interview Interlude: On Screenwriting · Christopher Conlon · iv * [George Clayton Johnson]
- 257 · The Gulfs of Space · pm *
- 259 · The Edge of the World! · pl *
- 369 · Interview Interlude: On New Stories · Christopher Conlon · iv * [George Clayton Johnson]
- 371 · The Monstering Kind · ss Subterranean Gallery, ed. Richard T. Chizmar & William K. Schafer, Subterranean Press, 1999
- 378 · The God (a novel fragment) · uw *
- 386 · Thorndyke · ss *
- 392 · The Birth · ss Gamma #3 64
- 396 · Fat Essie · ss *
- 398 · The New Law · vi *
- 399 · The Man Who Was Slugger Malone · ss California Sorcery, ed. William F. Nolan & William Schafer, CD Publications, 1999
- 405 · The Prevailing Westerlies · vi *
- 407 · Clear Weather Is Coming · ss *
- 411 · Every Other War · na *
- 460 · Afterword · Dennis Etchison · aw
- · The Love Song of Bertha Gingrich · ss *
The Fox Woman Kij Johnson (Tor 0-312-85429-3, Jan 2000 [Dec 99], $24.95, 382pp, hc, cover by Susan Seddon Boulet) [Fox Woman] Fantasy novel based on Japanese folkore. A fox kit falls in love with a nobleman.
The Last Star at Dawn Oliver Johnson (Penguin/Roc 0-451-45567-3, Nov 99, $16.95, 358pp, tp, cover by Alan Pollack) [Lightbringer] Fantasy novel, book three of the Lightbringer trilogy.
Body Politic Paul Johnston (St. Martins 0-312-20279-2, Aug 99 [Jul 99], $22.95, 250pp, hc, cover by Bill Gregory) [Quinn (Quintilian) Dalrymple] Near-future SF thriller. A serial killer stalks the totalitarian utopia of Edinburgh in 2020. Winner of the John Creasey Award for Best First Crime Novel of the Year. First US edition (Hodder & Stoughton 1997).
Battle in the Ashes William W. Johnstone (Pinnacle 0-7860-1028-2, Dec 99, $5.99, 320pp, pb) [Ashes] Reissue (Zebra 1993) post-holocaust SF adventure novel, Ashes #17. Second printing.
Fury in the Ashes William W. Johnstone (Pinnacle 0-7860-0635-8, Mar 99 [Feb 99], $5.99, 350pp, pb) [Ashes] Reissue (Zebra 1991) post-holocaust SF adventure novel in the Ashes series. Third printing.
Standoff in the Ashes William W. Johnstone (Pinnacle 0-7860-1015-0, Oct 99 [Sep 99], $5.99, 318pp, pb) [Ashes] Post-holocaust SF adventure novel, 28th book in the long-running Ashes series.
Terror in the Ashes William W. Johnstone (Pinnacle 0-7860-0661-7, Aug 99 [Jul 99], $5.99, 384pp, pb) [Ashes] Reprint (Zebra 1992) post-holocaust SF adventure novel, 15th in the long-running Ashes series. The copyright page states First Pinnacle printing August 1999, but the printing indicators say second printing.
The Stone and the Maiden Dennis Jones (Avon Eos 0-380-97801-6, Aug 99, $23.00, 421pp, hc, cover by Tim & Greg Hildebrandt) [House of the Pandragore] Fantasy novel, first in The House of the Pandragore. The rightful heir to the throne and her love, a not-so-common soldier, unite to find the mystic Signata that will save their land from evil invaders.
The Stone and the Maiden Dennis Jones (SFBC #02601, Aug 99, $11.50, 421pp, hc, cover by Tim & Greg Hildebrandt) [House of the Pandragore] Reprint (Avon Eos 1999) fantasy novel, first in The House of the Pandragore. This is similar to the Avon Eos edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Believing is Seeing Diana Wynne Jones (Morrow Greenwillow 0-688-16843-4, Oct 99 [Sep 99], $16.00, 165pp, hc, cover by Nenad Jakesevic) Young-adult collection of seven stories, one original. Illustrations by Nenad Jakesevic. First US edition (Gollancz 1996 as Minor Arcana); this drops the novella The True State of Affairs and adds one short story.
- vii · Introduction · in, 1996
- 1 · The Sage of Theare [Chrestomanci] · nv Hecates Cauldron, ed. Susan M. Shwartz, DAW, 1982
- 33 · The Master · ss Hidden Turnings, ed. Diana Wynne Jones, London: Methuen, 1989
- 53 · Enna Hittims · ss *
- 69 · The Girl Who Loved the Sun · ss Heartache, ed. Miriam Hodgson, 1990
- 89 · Dragon Reserve, Home Eight · nv Warlock At the Wheel and Other Stories, Macmillan, 1984
- 121 · What the Cat Told Me · nv Fantasy Stories, ed. Diana Wynne Jones, Kingfisher, 1994
- 145 · Nad and Dan adn Quaffy · nv Digital Dreams, ed. David V. Barrett, NEL, 1990
Dark Lord of Derkholm Diana Wynne Jones (SFBC #19126, May 99 [Apr 99], $8.98, 345pp, hc, cover by Jos. A. Smith) [Dark Lord of Derkholm] Reprint (Greenwillow 1998) young-adult humorous fantasy novel. This is similar to the Greenwillow edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Deep Secret Diana Wynne Jones (Tor 0-312-86859-6, Mar 99 [Feb 99], $24.95, 383pp, hc, cover by Julie Bell) [Deep Secret] Humorous fantasy novel. A magic guardian of multiple worlds searches for a new recruit at an SF convention. First US edition (Gollancz 1997).
Deep Secret Diana Wynne Jones (SFBC #01211, Jul 99 [Aug 99], $12.50, 383pp, hc, cover by Julie Bell) [Deep Secret] Reprint (Gollancz 1997) humorous fantasy novel set at an SF convention. This is similar to the Tor edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Deep Secret Diana Wynne Jones (Tor 0-812-57572-5, Jan 2000 [Dec 99], $6.99, 375pp, pb, cover by Julie Bell) [Deep Secret] Reprint (Gollancz 1997) humorous fantasy novel set at an SF convention.
The Magicians of Caprona Diana Wynne Jones (Morrow Beech Tree 0-688-16613-X, Jun 99 [May 99], $5.95, 223pp, tp, cover by Greg Newbold) [Chrestomanci] Reprint (Macmillan UK 1980) young-adult fantasy novel in the Chrestomanci series.