Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 2000
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
The Furthest Horizon ed. Gardner Dozois (St. Martins Griffin 0-312-26326-0, May 2000, $17.95, 478pp, tp, cover by Chesley Bonestell) Anthology of 17 far-future SF stories. Authors include Jack Vance, Brian W. Aldiss, Cordwainer Smith, and Paul J. McAuley.
- ix · Preface · Gardner Dozois · pr
- 1 · Guyal of Sfere [Dying Earth] · Jack Vance · nv The Dying Earth, Hillman, 1950
- 33 · Old Hundredth · Brian W. Aldiss · ss New Worlds Nov 60
- 43 · Alpha Ralpha Boulevard · Cordwainer Smith · nv F&SF Jun 61
- 66 · Day Million · Frederik Pohl · ss Rogue Feb/Mar 66
- 72 · Bumberboom · Avram Davidson · nv F&SF Dec 66
- 100 · Coranda · Keith Roberts · nv New Worlds Jan 67
- 116 · Nightwings [Watcher] · Robert Silverberg · na Galaxy Sep 68
- 156 · Pale Roses [Dancers at the End of Time] · Michael Moorcock · nv New Worlds 7, ed. Hilary Bailey & Charles Platt, London: Sphere, 1974
- 185 · Anniversary Project · Joe Haldeman · ss Analog Oct 75
- 195 · Slow Music · James Tiptree, Jr. · na Interfaces, ed. Ursula K. Le Guin & Virginia Kidd, Ace, 1980
- 231 · The Map · Gene Wolfe · ss Light Years and Dark, ed. Michael Bishop, Berkley, 1984
- 242 · Dinosaurs · Walter Jon Williams · nv IASFM Jun 87
- 263 · The Death Artist · Alexander Jablokov · nv IASFM Aug 90
- 288 · Sister Alice [Sister Alice] · Robert Reed · na Asimovs Nov 93
- 331 · Recording Angel · Paul J. McAuley · nv New Legends, ed. Greg Bear & Martin H. Greenberg, Legend, 1995
- 354 · Genesis · Poul Anderson · na Far Futures, ed. Gregory Benford, 1995, 1995
- 435 · The Days of Solomon Gursky · Ian McDonald · na Asimovs Jun 98
The Years Best Science Fiction: Seventeenth Annual Collection ed. Gardner Dozois (St. Martins Griffin 0-312-26417-8, Jul 2000, $17.95, 625pp, tp, cover by Michael Carroll) Best-of-the-Year anthology of 27 stories, with a summation of the year by Dozois. A St. Martins hardcover edition (-26275-2, $29.95) is also available.
- xi · Summation: 1999 · Gardner Dozois · ar
- 1 · The Wedding Album [Cathy] · David Marusek · na Asimovs Jun 99
- 41 · Ten16 to 1 · James Patrick Kelly · nv Asimovs Jun 99
- 59 · Winemaster · Robert Reed · nv F&SF Jul 99
- 78 · Galactic North [Conjoiner] · Alastair Reynolds · nv Interzone Jul 99
- 106 · Dapple: A Hwarhath Historical Romance [Hwarhath] · Eleanor Arnason · na Asimovs Sep 99
- 139 · People Came from Earth · Stephen Baxter · ss Moon Shots, ed. Peter Crowther & Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, 1999
- 149 · Green Tea [Orlando Coria] · Richard Wadholm · nv Asimovs Oct/Nov 99
- 170 · The Dragon of Pripyat · Karl Schroeder · nv Tesseracts 8, ed. John Clute & Candas Jane Dorsey, Edmonton: Tesseract Books, 1999
- 203 · Written in Blood · Chris Lawson · ss Asimovs Jun 99
- 215 · Hatching the Phoenix [Heechee (Robinette Broadhead)] · Frederik Pohl · nv Amazing Fll 99 (+1)
- 255 · Suicide Coast · M. John Harrison · ss F&SF Jul 99
- 270 · Hunting Mother · Sage Walker · nv Not of Woman Born, ed. Constance Ash, Roc, 1999
- 285 · Mount Olympus [Return to Mars] · Ben Bova · nv Analog Feb 99; an excerpt from the novel Return to Mars.
- 318 · Border Guards · Greg Egan · nv Interzone Oct 99
- 337 · Scherzo with Tyrannosaur · Michael Swanwick · ss Asimovs Jul 99
- 347 · A Hero of the Empire [Roma Eterna] · Robert Silverberg · nv F&SF Oct/Nov 99
- 371 · How We Lost the Moon. A True Story by Frank W. Allen · Paul J. McAuley · ss Moon Shots, ed. Peter Crowther & Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, 1999
- 383 · Phallicide · Charles Sheffield · nv Science Fiction Age Sep 99
- 411 · Daddys World · Walter Jon Williams · nv Not of Woman Born, ed. Constance Ash, Roc, 1999
- 433 · A Martian Romance [Mars] · Kim Stanley Robinson · nv The Martians, Voyager, 1999
- 448 · The Sky-Green Blues · Tanith Lee · nv Interzone Apr 99
- 472 · Exchange Rate · Hal Clement · na Absolute Magnitude Win 99
- 518 · Everywhere · Geoff Ryman · ss Interzone Feb 99
- 526 · Hothouse Flowers · Mike Resnick · ss Asimovs Oct/Nov 99
- 539 · Evermore · Sean Williams · nv Altair #4 99
- 560 · Of Scorned Women and Causal Loops · Robert Grossbach · ss F&SF Jan 99
- 572 · Son Observe the Time [The Company] · Kage Baker · na Asimovs May 99
- 619 · Honorable Mentions: 1999 · Misc. · bi
The Years Best Science Fiction: Seventeenth Annual Collection ed. Gardner Dozois (SFBC #13559, Jul 2000, $14.98, 766pp, hc, cover by Michael Carroll) Reprint (St. Martins 2000) best-of-the-year anthology of 27 stories, with a summation of the year by Dozois. This is similar to the St. Martins edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Isaac Asimovs Mothers Day ed. Gardner Dozois & Sheila Williams (Ace 0-441-00721-X, Apr 2000, $5.99, 240pp, pb, cover by Lee MacLeod) Anthology of nine stories originally published in Asimovs. Authors include Connie Willis, James Patrick Kelly, and Melanie Tem.
Isaac Asimovs Utopias ed. Gardner Dozois & Sheila Williams (Ace 0-441-00784-8, Nov 2000, $5.99, 278pp, pb, cover by Jan Brueghel) Anthology of nine stories on Utopias from Isaac Asimovs Science Fiction Magazine. Authors include Ursula K. Le Guin, David Marusek, and Bruce Sterling.
Lord of the Isles David Drake (Tor 0-812-52240-0, Jul 2000, $6.99, 625pp, pb, cover by Kevin Murphy) [Lord of the Isles] Reissue (Tor 1997) fantasy novel, first in a series. Fourth printing.
Lt. Leary, Commanding David Drake (Baen 0-671-57875-8, Jul 2000, $24.00, 432pp, hc, cover by Stephen Hickman) [Leary & Mundy] Military SF novel, sequel to With the Lightnings. Lt. Leary and the crew of the Princess Cecile battle bureaucrats, space pirates, and traitors.
Lt. Leary, Commanding David Drake (SFBC #05840, Oct 2000, $11.98, 432pp, hc, cover by Stephen Hickman) [Leary & Mundy] Reprint (Baen 2000) military SF novel, sequel to With the Lightnings. This is similar to the Baen edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Queen of Demons David Drake (Tor 0-812-56493-6, Aug 2000, $6.99, 647pp, pb, cover by Donato Giancola) [Lord of the Isles] Reissue (Tor 1998) fantasy novel, sequel to Lord of the Isles. Second printing.
Servant of the Dragon David Drake (Tor 0-812-56494-4, Aug 2000, $6.99, 612pp, pb, cover by Donato Giancola) [Lord of the Isles] Reprint (Tor 1999) fantasy novel, third in the Lord of the Isles series.
With the Lightnings David Drake (Baen 0-671-57886-3, Jul 2000, $6.99, 323pp, hc, cover by David Mattingly) [Lt. Leary] Reissue (Baen 1998) military SF novel. This is the first edition with a new dust jacket.
When Darkness Falls Shannon Drake (Zebra 0-8217-6692-9, Oct 2000, $6.99, 409pp, pb) [Jade MacGregor] Vampire novel, second in a trilogy; the first volume was not seen. Travel writer Jade MacGregor survives an attack by vampires in Scotland only to find something deadly may have followed her home to New Orleans.
Daydreams from a Working Stiff Sharon E. Dreyer (1stBooks 1-58500-020-5, Jun 2000, $10.95, 175pp, tp) Collection of six SF stories based on daydreams. This is copyrighted 1995, but only appeared recently; it is a print-on-demand edition available online from The International Online Library at www.1stbooks.com, or 1st Books Library, 2511 West 3rd St., Suite #1, Boomington IN 47404; credit card orders 800-839-8640.
Star Trek: Rihannsu Diane Duane (SFBC 0-7394-1390-2, Nov 2000, $14.98, 677pp, hc, cover by Keith Birdsong) [Star Trek: Rihannsu] Star Trek omnibus of four novels in the Rihannsu series: My Enemy, My Ally (1984), The Romulan Way (1987), Swordhunt (2000), and Honor Blade (2000). This SFBC edition has ISBN 0-7394-1390-2; it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures.
- · My Enemy, My Ally · n. New York: Pocket Books, 1984
- · The Romulan Way · n. New York: Pocket Books, 1987
- · Swordhunt · n. New York: Pocket Books, 2000
- · Honor Blade · n. New York: Pocket Books, 2000
Star Trek: Rihannsu, Book 1: My Enemy, My Ally Diane Duane (Pocket 0-7434-0369-X, Aug 2000, $3.99, 309pp, pb) [Star Trek: Rihannsu] Reissue (Pocket 1984 as Star Trek: My Enemy, My Ally) Star Trek novelization, repackaged as a classic Star Trek novel. This has a new ISBN and indicates first printing. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures.
Star Trek: Rihannsu, Book 3: Swordhunt Diane Duane (Pocket 0-671-04209-2, Oct 2000, $6.99, 229pp, pb) [Star Trek: Rihannsu] Star Trek novelization. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures.
Star Trek: Rihannsu, Book 4: Honor Blade Diane Duane (Pocket 0-671-04210-6, Oct 2000, $6.99, 220pp, pb, cover by Keith Birdsong) [Star Trek: Rihannsu] Star Trek novelization. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures.
Star Trek: Spocks World Diane Duane (Pocket 0-7434-0371-1, Aug 2000, $3.99, 388pp, pb) [Star Trek] Reissue (Pocket 1988) Star Trek novelization, repackaged as a classic Star Trek novel. This has a new ISBN and indicates first printing. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures.
Star*Drive: Nightfall at Algemron Diane Duane (Wizards of the Coast 0-7869-1563-3, Apr 2000, $5.99, 344pp, pb, cover by r. k. post) [Star*Drive: Harbinger] Novelization based on the SF role-playing game. Third volume in the Harbinger trilogy. Copyrighted by Wizards of the Coast.
To Visit the Queen Diane Duane (Warner Aspect 0-446-60855-6, May 2000, $6.50, 366pp, pb, cover by Robert Goldstrom) [Book of Night with Moon] Reprint (Hodder & Stoughton 1998 as On Her Majestys Wizardly Service) fantasy novel, sequel to The Book of Night with Moon.
Star Trek: Rihannsu, Book 2: The Romulan Way Diane Duane & Peter Morwood (Pocket 0-7434-0370-3, Aug 2000, $3.99, 310pp, pb) [Star Trek: Rihannsu] Reissue (Pocket 1987 Star Trek: The Romulan Way) Star Trek novelization, repackaged as a classic Star Trek novel. This has a new ISBN and indicates first printing. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures.
Resurrection Day Brendan DuBois (Jove 0-515-12949-6, Oct 2000, $7.50, 465pp, pb, cover by Honi Werner) Reprint (Putnam 1999) Alternate-history suspense novel, set ten years after the Cuban Missle Crisis became a world-wide nuclear war.
The Great Encyclopedia of Faeries Pierre Dubois, Claudine & Roland Sabatier (Simon & Schuster 0-684-86957-8, Apr 2000, $25.00, 183pp, hc, cover by Claudine & Roland Sabatier) Non-fiction art book, with text by Dubois and art by the Sabatiers. Translated from the French La Grande Encyclopédie de Fées (Editions Hoëbeke 1996). First US edition (Pavilion UK 9/99).
Sabrina, the Teenage Witch: Its a Miserable Life Cathy East Dubowski (Pocket Archway 0-671-04071-5, Nov 2000, $4.99, 117pp, pb) [Sabrina, the Teenage Witch] Young-adult novelization, 34th in the series based on the TV show based on the Archie Comic. Copyrighted by Viacom Productions.
Beluthahatchie and Other Stories Andy Duncan (Golden Gryphon Press 0-9655901-1-9, Oct 2000, $23.95, 288pp, hc, cover by Bob Eggleton) Collection of 11 stories, two original. Foreword by Michael Bishop and afterword by John Kessel; in his author notes, Duncan discusses how the stories came to be written, and his development as a writer. Golden Gryphon Press, 3002 Perkins Road, Urbana IL 61802; 217-384-4205; website: [www.goldengryphon.com].
- ix · Foreword · Michael Bishop · fw
- 3 · Beluthahatchie · ss Asimovs Mar 97
- 17 · Saved · nv Dying for It, ed. Gardner R. Dozois, HarperPrism, 1997
- 41 · Grand Guignol · ss Weird Tales Win 99
- 56 · The Executioners Guild · na Asimovs Aug 99
- 116 · The Premature Burials · ss Gothic.Net website Sep 98
- 129 · Fennemans Mouth · ss *
- 129 · Lincoln in Frogmore · nv *
- 139 · The Map to the Homes of the Stars · ss Dying for It, ed. Gardner R. Dozois, HarperPrism, 1997
- 161 · From Alfanos Reliquary · ss Weird Tales Fll 99
- 177 · Liza and the Crazy Water Man · nv Starlight 1, ed. Patrick Nielsen Hayden, Tor, 1996
- 186 · Fortitude · nv Realms of Fantasy Jun 99
- 266 · Afterword, Final Grade Report · aw *
- 272 · Author Notes · ms
The Kings Daggers, Book Two: The Crooked House Dave Duncan (HarperCollins/Avon 0-380-80099-3, Oct 2000, $5.99, 242pp, pb, cover by Patrick Whelan) [Kings Daggers] Fantasy adventure novel about students at Ironhall, where the Kings Blades are trained. Book two of The Kings Dagger trilogy, related to The Kings Blades series.
Lord of the Fire Lands Dave Duncan (HarperCollins/Eos 0-380-79127-7, Sep 2000, $6.99, 457pp, pb, cover by Paul Robinson) [Kings Blades] Reprint (Avon Eos 1999) fantasy adventure novel, book two of The Kings Blades.
Sky of Swords Dave Duncan (HarperCollins/Eos 0-380-97462-2, Oct 2000, $24.00, 358pp, hc, cover by Boris Zlotsky) [Kings Blades] Fantasy novel, book three of The Kings Blades, but a prequel to the previous two books, following Princess Malinda as she grows up.
Seers Blood Doranna Durgin (Baen 0-671-57877-4, Jul 2000, $6.99, 346pp, pb, cover by Larry Elmore) Fantasy novel. The hill-folk of Shadow Hollers have lost the seer-talent needed to stop an invasion of body-snatching creatures.
Alien Resonance Tom Easton (Wildside Press 1-58715-162-6, Oct 2000, $11.95, 126pp, tp) SF novella of first contact. Strange stones from space make humans feel love. This was originally published electronically in 1990. This is a print-on-demand edition, available online at [www.wildsidepress.com], or from PO Box 45, Gillette NJ 07933.
The Redemption of Althalus David & Leigh Eddings (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-44077-3, Dec 2000, $27.95, 726pp, hc, cover by John Jude Palencar) Fantasy novel, a standalone epic fantasy of a thief who become humanitys champion in a battle against an ancient god. The dust jacket has two variations, swapping the art on front and back. First US edition (Voyager 7/00).
Teranesia Greg Egan (SFBC #06769, Dec 99, $11.98, 293pp, hc, cover by Peter Gudynas) Reprint (Orion 1999) SF novel. This is similar to the HarperPrism edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Teranesia Greg Egan (HarperCollins/Eos 0-06-105980-3, Nov 2000, $6.99, 338pp, pb) Reprint (Orion 1999) SF novel.
The Sorrows Randy Lee Eickhoff (Tor/Forge 0-312-87028-0, Mar 2000, $23.95, 284pp, hc) [Ulster Cycle] Fantasy collection retelling three Irish legends, part of the epic Ulster Cycle after The Raid and The Feast.
- 11 · Introduction · in The Sorrows, Forge, 2000
- 21 · The Fate of the Children of Tuirenn · na The Sorrows, Forge, 2000
- 125 · The Fate of the Children of Lir · nv The Sorrows, Forge, 2000
- 169 · The Exile of the Sons of Usnech · na The Sorrows, Forge, 2000
Paradox in Oz Edward Einhorn (Hungry Tiger Press 1-929527-01-2, May 2000, $24.95, 238pp, hc, cover by Eric Shanower) [Oz] Young-adult fantasy novel of L. Frank Baums Oz. Ozma visits an alternate version of Oz. Illustrated by Eric Shanower. A first novel. Available from Hungry Tiger Press, 1516 Cypress Avenue, San Diego CA 92103-4517; add $3.50 postage.
Native Tongue Suzette Haden Elgin (The Feminist Press at CUNY 1-55861-246-7, Nov 2000, $14.95, 327pp, tp, cover by Susan Shapiro) [Native Tongue] Reprint (DAW 1984) SF novel. The new afterword by Susan M. Squier & Julie Vedder explores the novels feminist/linguistic implications.
The Ozark Trilogy Suzette Haden Elgin (University of Arkansas Press 1-55728-592-6, Mar 2000, $30.00, 506pp, tp) [Ozark] Reprint (SFBC 1982) fantasy omnibus of three novels (all 1981): Twelve Fair Kingdoms, The Grand Jubilee, and And Then Therell Be Fireworks. This separates the three teaching stories, originally an appendix to the first book, from the novel, putting them at the end before the glossary.
The Burning Stone Kate Elliott (DAW 0-88677-815-8, Aug 2000, $6.99, 801pp, pb, cover by Jody A. Lee) [Crown of Stars] Reprint (DAW 1999) fantasy novel, third in The Crown of Stars series. Elliott is a pen name for Alis Rasmussen.
Child of Flame Kate Elliott (DAW 0-88677-892-1, Oct 2000, $24.95, 850pp, hc, cover by Jody A. Lee) [Crown of Stars] Fantasy novel, fourth in The Crown of Stars series. Liath ascends to the spheres, Alain is stranded in the past, and Prince Sanglant struggles to save his absent fathers kingdom from invaders and a coming magical catastrophe. First US edition (Orbit 9/00). Elliott is a pen-name for Alis Rasmussen.
Child of Flame Kate Elliott (SFBC #15400, Oct 2000, $12.50, 850pp, hc, cover by Jody A. Lee) [Crown of Stars] Reprint (Orbit 9/00) fantasy novel, fourth in The Crown of Stars series. Elliott is a pen-name for Alis Rasmussen. This is similar to the DAW edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Prince of Dogs Kate Elliott (DAW 0-88677-816-6, Aug 2000, $7.99, 618pp, pb, cover by Jody A. Lee) [Crown of Stars] Reissue (DAW 1998) fantasy novel, second in The Crown of Stars series. Elliott is a pen-name for Alis Rasmussen. Third printing.
VOR: The Rescue Don Ellis (Warner Aspect 0-446-60491-7, Jul 2000, $6.50, 244pp, pb, cover by Donato Giancola) [VOR] SF novelization based on the role-playing game. Copyrighted by FASA.
The Adventure House Guide to the Pulps Doug Ellis, John Locke & John Gunnison (Adventure House 1-886937-45-1, Aug 2000, $29.95, 336pp, tp) Non-fiction guide to pulp magazines, with a checklist to 1,000 titles (39,500 magazines) with illustrations of over 1,700 covers, and notes on collecting, preserving, and pricing pulps, plus a bibliography. Available from Adventure House, 914 Laredo Road, Silver Spring MD 20901; 301-754-1589; www.adventurehouse.com
Nightlife Jack Ellis (Pinnacle 0-7860-1259-5, Aug 2000, $5.99, 379pp, pb) Reprint (Zebra 1996) vampire novel. This indicates third printing.
After Life Rhian Ellis (Viking 0-670-89242-4, Jul 2000, $23.95, 292pp, hc) Mystery novel of a mother-daughter team of psychics, one content to mostly fake it, the other determined to develop her real powers.
The Vampire Files: Lady Crymsyn P. N. Elrod (Ace 0-441-00724-4, Nov 2000, $22.95, 410pp, hc, cover by Paul Robinson) [Jack Fleming (The Vampire Files)] Fantasy detective novel, ninth in the series. A body in the basement threatens the opening of the new nightclub started by vampire Jack Fleming.
The Vampire Files: The Dark Sleep P. N. Elrod (Ace 0-441-00723-6, May 2000, $6.50, 359pp, pb) [Jack Fleming (The Vampire Files)] Reprint (Ace 1999) vampire mystery, eighth in the series.