Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 2002
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
The Magic Flute Keith D. Jones (Jones, Keith D. 0-9674994-0-2, 1999, $11.95, 220pp, tp, cover by Paula Murray & Keith Jones) Fantasy novel. Tahrl Morgan ap Morin leads the fight against a plague of monsters. A first novel. This is dated 1999, but not seen until now. Order from Keith D. Jones, PO Box 320671, San Francisco CA 94132-0671; [www.stormsdream.com]; add $3.50 postage.
Myth & Middle-earth Leslie Ellen Jones (Cold Spring Press 1-892975-81-5, 2002, $14.95, 188pp, tp, cover by Greg & Tim Hildebrandt) [Middle-Earth] Non-fiction exploration of some of the legends and myths behind The Hobbit and The Lord of Rings. This includes an index and a list of suggested reading. [J. R. R. Tolkien]
Warhammer 40,000: Deathwing ed. Neil Jones & David Pringle (Games Workshop/Black Library 0-7434-1171-4, Dec 2001, $6.95, 283pp, tp) [Warhammer 40,000] Anthology of 10 stories based on the role-playing game. First US edition (GW Books 1990); this follows the 2001 UK edition in adding three stories to the 1990 original.
The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror: Volume Thirteen ed. Stephen Jones (Carroll & Graf 0-7867-1063-2, Dec 2002, $11.95, 590 + xi, tp) Annual horror anthology of 23 stories, with an overview of the year 2001 by Jones, and a necrology by Jones and Kim Newman. Authors include Ramsey Campbell, Paul McAuley, Poppy Z. Brite, and Richard A Lupoff. First American edition (Robinson 2002).
The Mammoth Book of Vampire Stories Written by Women ed. Stephen Jones (SFBC #17911, Feb 2002, $12.99, 624pp, hc) Reprint (Robinson 2001) horror anthology of 33 stories and one poem. This lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
The Dragon Reborn Robert Jordan (Tor 0-765-30511-9, Sep 2002, $14.95, 595pp, tp, cover by Darrell K. Sweet) [Wheel of Time] Reprint (Tor 1991) fantasy novel, book three in The Wheel of Time.
The Hunting of the Last Dragon Sherryl Jordan (HarperCollins 0-06-028902-3, Jun 2002, $15.95, 186pp, hc, cover by Mark Harrison) Young-adult historical fantasy novel. In 1356 England a peasant boy and a Chinese noblewoman travel to a dragons lair.
The Modern Weird Tale S. T. Joshi (McFarland 0-7864-0986-X, Apr 2001, $34.95, 278pp, tp) Non-fiction, a critical look at weird fiction from WWII to around 1994, focusing on specific authors, among them Shirley Jackson, Stephen King, Clive Barker, and Anne Rice; he also covers some Alternatives to Supernaturalism from Robert Bloch, Thomas Harris, Peter Straub, and others. Includes notes and bibliography. This is dated 2001, but not seen until now. Order from McFarland & Company, Box 611, Jefferson NC 28640; credit card orders 800-253-2187 or [www.mcfarlandpub.com]; add $4.00 postage.
An H.P. Lovecraft Encyclopedia S. T. Joshi & David E. Schultz (Greenwood Press 0-313-31578-7, Sep 2001, $79.95, 339 + xx, hc) Non-fiction, an alphabetical guide to Lovecrafts works. This is dated 2001, but not seen until now. Order from Greenwood Press, 88 Post Road West, Box 5007, Westport CT 06881; 800-225-5800; [www.greenwood.com]. [H. P. Lovecraft]
Great Tales of Terror ed. S. T. Joshi (Dover 0-486-41938-X, 2002, $12.95, 298pp, tp, cover by Theodore Kittelson) Anthology of 23 horror stories. Authors include Lord Dunsany, E. Nesbit, and Walter de la Mare.
- v · Introduction · S. T. Joshi · in
- · I. The Terror of Revenants
- 3 · The Haunted Dragoon [as by Q] · Sir Arthur Quiller-Couch · ss I Saw Three Ships and Other Winters Tales, Cassell, 1892
- 16 · The Graven Image · William Sharp · ss The Gypsy Christ and Other Tales, Stone & Kimball, 1895
- 26 · The Return of the Soul [A Re-incarnation] · Robert Hichens · na The Pall Mall Magazine Aug, 1895
- 74 · Of a Promise Broken · Lafcadio Hearn · ss A Japanese Miscellany, Little, Brown, 1901
- 81 · The Promise · Walter de la Mare · ss The English Review Jan 19
- · II. The Terror of Haunted Places
- 91 · The Ghosts of Austerlitz · William Waldorf Astor · ss The Pall Mall Magazine Dec, 1893
- 102 · The Coach · Violet Hunt · ss The English Review Mar 09
- 120 · Night School · James Hopper · ss The Century Mar 14
- · III. The Terror of Weird Creatures
- 131 · The Mummys Foot · Théophile Gautier · ss One of Cleopatras Nights and Other Fantastic Romances, New York: B. Worthington, 1882
- 144 · The Discomfited Demon · Ambrose Bierce · ss San Francisco Newsletter May 7, 1870
- 146 · The Tortoise · W. F. Harvey · ss Midnight House and Other Tales, J.M. Dent, 1910
- · IV. The Terror of the Superhuman
- 157 · Borrhomeo the Astrologer [as by Anon.] · J. Sheridan Le Fanu · ss Dublin University Magazine Jan, 1862
- 170 · The Diary of a God · Barry Pain · ss Stories in the Dark, Grant Richards, 1901
- 178 · The Three Drugs [The Third Drug] · E. Nesbit · ss The Strand Feb 08
- 198 · The Window of Horrors [as by William Drayham"] · H. L. Mencken · ss The Smart Set Sep 17
- 216 · The Man Who Lost His Head · Thomas Burke · ss Night-Pieces, London: Constable, 1935
- · V. The Terror of Fantasy
- 229 · The Queen of the Bees · Erckmann-Chatrian · ss TheMan-Wolf and Other Tales, Ward, Lock & Tyler, 1876; La Reine des abeilles, 1862.
- 241 · The Caves of Death · Gertrude Atherton · ss San Francisco Newsletter Dec 25, 1886
- 250 · The Soldiers Rest · Arthur Machen · ss London Evening News Oct 20 14
- · VI. The Terror of the Cosmic
- 257 · Romance · Lord Dunsany · ss Saturday Review (UK) May 29 09
- 261 · The Man Who Found Out · Algernon Blackwood · ss The Canadian Magazine Dec 12
- 278 · A Negligable Experiment · J. D. Beresford · ss Signs and Wonders, Putnam, 1921
- 284 · The Root-Gatherers · R. H. Barlow · ss Polaris Mar 40
- 291 · Notes on the Authors · Misc. · bg
Ritual of Proof Dara Joy (HarperTorch 0-380-81252-5, Apr 2002, $6.99, 373pp, pb) Reprint (Morrow 2001) romantic feminist SF novel.
Scotlandfuturebog Nicholas Kahn & Richard Selesnick (Aperture 0-89381-935-2, Dec 2002, $100.00, unpaginated, hc) Art book, a collection of panoramic photographs of boggy post-holocaust Scotland and its weird inhabitants. An introductory section by Ben Marcus discusses the comet crash that caused most of Earth to become unusually wet.
The Burning Times Jeanne Kalogridis (Simon & Schuster/Scribner 0-684-86924-1, Mar 2002, $14.00, 394pp, tp, cover by Lorenzo di Credi) Reprint (Simon & Schuster 2001) historical fantasy novel set in 14th-century Europe. This includes an unpaginated two-page reading guide.
Blackmark: 20th Anniversary Edition Gil Kane & Archie Goodwin (Fantagraphics Books 1-56097-456-7, Feb 2002, $16.95, 252pp, tp, cover by Gil Kane) Graphic novel/heavily illustrated fantasy novel, with art and story idea by Kane and text by Archie Goodwin. Originally planned as a series of mass-market paperbacks, only one was so published; the second appeared in parts in comic-book form; this is the first unitary edition. Afterword by Gary Groth. Fantagraphics: [www.fantagraphics.com]; free cat 800-657-1100.
Playing with Fire Kathleen Karr (Farrar, Straus and Giroux 0-374-23453-1, Mar 2001, $16.00, 185pp, hc, cover by Steve Cieslawski) Young-adult dark fantasy of 1920s spiritualists. A girl able to see peoples auras doesnt trust a man who wants to turn her fortune-telling mother into a medium. This was scheduled for 2001, but not seen until now.
The Follies of Sir Harald Phyllis Ann Karr (Green Knight Publishing 1-928999-21-2, Jan 2002, $15.95, 251pp, tp, cover by Shane A. Holloway) Arthurian fantasy novel. Order from Wizards Attic, 900 Murmansk St., Suite 7, Oakland CA 94607; [www.wizards-attic.com]; 800-213-1493. Info: James Lowder [firstname.lastname@example.org]
The Mask of Ollock Robert F. Kauffmann (Arx Publishing 1-889758-33-7, Apr 2002, $12.95, 197pp, tp, cover by Robert F. Kauffmann) Novel-length epic fantasy poem. A Prince calls for war despite his fathers disapproval and mysterious disappearance. Order from Arx Publishing, 10 Canal Street, Suite 231, Bristol PA 19007-3900; [www.arxpub.com]; [email@example.com].
Reading the Vampire Slayer: An Unofficial Critical Companion to Buffy and Angel ed. Roz Kaveney (St. Martins/Palgrave/I.B. Taurus 1-86064-762-6, Feb 2002, $14.95, 265pp, tp) [Buffy, the Vampire Slayer; Angel] Non-fiction, a critical examination of the TV show Buffy, the Vampire Slayer and its spin-off, Angel. First US edition (Tauris Parke Paperbacks 2001).
A Song for Arbonne Guy Gavriel Kay (Penguin/Roc 0-451-45897-4, Nov 2002, $15.00, 511pp, tp, cover by David Jermann) Reprint (Viking Canada 1992) fantasy novel.
The Ordinary Princess M. M. Kaye (Penguin/Puffin 0-14-230085-3, Mar 2002, $5.99, 112pp, tp, cover by M. M. Kaye) Reprint (Doubleday 1980, 1984) young-adult fantasy novel. A simultaneous Viking hardcover edition (0-670-03544-0, $15.99) is also available.
Replica: All About Andy Marilyn Kaye (Random House/Bantam Skylark 0-553-48766-3, Sep 2002, $4.50, 138pp, tp, cover by Craig White) [Replica] Young-adult SF novel, 22nd in the series about cloned kids.
Replica: Amy on Her Own Marilyn Kaye (Random House/Bantam Skylark 0-553-48768-X, Dec 2002, $4.50, 133pp, tp, cover by Craig White) [Replica] Young-adult SF novel, 24th and final in the series about cloned kids.
Replica: The Plague Trilogy I: Rewind Marilyn Kaye (Random House/Bantam Skylark 0-553-48763-9, Mar 2002, $4.50, 136pp, tp, cover by Craig White) [Replica] Young-adult SF novel in the series about a clone. Amys genes make her immune to the new plague, but her mother isnt.
Replica: The Plague Trilogy II: Play Marilyn Kaye (Random House/Bantam Skylark 0-553-48764-7, Jun 2002, $4.50, 123pp, tp, cover by Craig White) [Replica] Young-adult SF novel in the series about a cloned girl. Amy takes a fantastic voyage inside a plague patients body.
Replica: The Plague Trilogy III: Fast Forward Marilyn Kaye (Random House/Bantam Skylark 0-553-48765-5, Aug 2002, $4.50, 136pp, tp, cover by Craig White) [Replica] Young-adult SF novel, third in the trilogy. Word gets out about the clones.
Replica: War of the Clones Marilyn Kaye (Random House/Bantam Skylark 0-553-48767-1, Oct 2002, $4.50, 119pp, tp, cover by Craig White) [Replica] Young-adult SF novel, 23rd in the series about cloned kids.
The Vampire Sextette ed. Marvin Kaye (Ace 0-441-00986-7, Oct 2002, $6.99, 384pp, pb, cover by Luis Royo) Reprint (SFBC 2000) anthology of six stories of traditional bloodsucking, sexy vampires.
Hawkwoods Voyage Paul Kearney (Ace 0-441-00903-4, Jan 2002, $6.50, 376pp, pb, cover by Steve Crisp) [Monarchies of God] Fantasy novel, first in The Monarchies of God series. First US edition (Gollancz 1995).
The Heretic Kings Paul Kearney (Ace 0-441-00908-5, Feb 2002, $6.99, 368pp, pb, cover by Steve Crisp) [Monarchies of God] Fantasy novel, second in the Monarchies of God series. First US edition (Gollancz 1996).
The Iron Wars Paul Kearney (Ace 0-441-00917-4, Mar 2002, $6.50, 311pp, pb, cover by Steve Crisp) [Monarchies of God] Fantasy novel, third in the Monarchies of God series. First US edition (Gollancz 1999).
The Second Empire Paul Kearney (Ace 0-441-00924-7, Apr 2002, $6.50, 290pp, pb, cover by Steve Crisp) [Monarchies of God] Fantasy novel, fourth in The Monarchies of God series. First US edition (Gollancz 2000).
Horror at the Haunted House Peg Kehret (Penguin/Puffin 0-14-230146-9, Jun 2002, $5.99, 132pp, tp, cover by Robert Sabin) Reprint (Cobblehill 1992) young-adult thriller/ghost story. A young woman working at a haunted house encounters a real ghost.
Bolo Strike William H. Keith, Jr. (Baen 0-7434-3566-4, Oct 2002, $7.99, 380pp, pb, cover by Dru Blair) [Bolo] Reprint (Baen 2001) military SF novel, the third by Keith based on Keith Laumers sentient tanks. Copyrighted by Bill Fawcett & Associates.
Classics of Science Fiction and Fantasy Literature ed. Fiona Kelleghan (Salem Press 1-58765-050-9, Mar 2002, $99.00, 698+xxii, hc) Reprint (Salem Press 1996 as Magills Guide to Science Fiction and Fantasy Literature) two-volume guide to over 180 major works of SF and fantasy, with synopses and brief analysis of novels or series; all but eight essays originally appeared in the 1996 four-volume edition. Includes indexes, bibliography, and guides to genre awards and web sites. The two volumes have separate ISBNs: -051-7 (Vol. 1) and -052-5 (Vol. 2). Order from Salem Press, PO Box 50062, Pasadena CA 91115.
Strange But Not a Stranger James Patrick Kelly (Golden Gryphon Press 1-930846-12-6, Aug 2002, $25.95, 297pp, hc, cover by Bob Eggleton) Collection of 15 stories, including one original. Introduction by Connie Willis. Kelly discusses the genesis of the stories in the afterword. Order from Golden Gryphon Press, 3002 Perkins Road, Urbana IL 61802; [www.goldengryphon.com].
- · Foreword · Connie Willis · fw
- 10 · 1016 to 1 · nv Asimovs Jun 99
- 26 · Lovestory · nv Asimovs Jun 98
- 8 · Feel the Zaz · nv Asimovs Jun, 2000
- 151 · Unique Visitors · ss Redshift: Extreme Visions of Speculative Fiction, ed. Al Sarrantonio, Penguin/Roc, 2001
- 148 · The Prisoner of Chillon · nv IASFM Jun 86
- 36 · Candy Art · ss Asimovs Dec, 2002
- 247 · The Propagation of Light in a Vacuum · ss Universe 1, ed. Robert Silverberg & Karen Haber, Doubleday Foundation, 1990
- 46 · Hubris · ss Realms of Fantasy Apr, 2002
- 142 · Glass Cloud · nv IASFM Jun 87
- 8 · Proof of the Existence of God · ss *
- 9 · The Cruelest Month · ss F&SF Jun 83
- 14 · Chemistry · nv Asimovs Jun 93
- 40 · The Pyramid of Amirah · ss F&SF Mar, 2002
- 42 · Fruitcake Theory · ss Asimovs Dec 98
- 8 · Undone · nv Asimovs Jun, 2001
- 8 · Afterword · aw
Maximum Ice Kay Kenyon (Bantam Spectra 0-553-58376-X, Feb 2002, $5.99, 418pp, pb) SF novel. A near-immortal woman who runs a starship returns to Earth after centuries to find it dying under an ice-like substance.
Night Pleasures Sherrilyn Kenyon (St. Martins 0-312-97998-3, Sep 2002, $6.50, 324pp, pb) [Dark-Hunter] Vampire romance novel, first in the Dark-Hunters series about a vampire-like Daimon hunter. Kenyon also writes as Kinley MacGregor.
Night Pleasures Sherrilyn Kenyon (SFBC #54310, Jan 2003, $9.99, 309pp, hc) [Dark-Hunter] Reprint (St. Martins 2002) vampire romance novel, first in the Dark-Hunters series. Kenyon also writes as Kinley MacGregor. This has ISBN 0-7394-2916-7; it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Night Shadows: Twentieth-Century Stories of the Uncanny ed. Joan Kessler (Godine, David R. 1-56792-180-9, Oct 2001, $18.95, 298 + xvi, tp, cover by Edward Hopper) Anthology of 15 stories by authors including Shirley Jackson, Ray Bradbury, and Ramsey Campbell. This is dated 2001, but not seen until now.
- ix · Hoppers Night Shadows · C. S. K. · pm
- xi · Introduction · Joan Kessler · in
- 3 · Oh, Whistle, and Ill Come to You, My Lad · M. R. James · nv Ghost Stories of an Antiquary, Edward Arnold, 1904
- 25 · The Shout · Robert Graves · ss The Woburn Books #16 29
- 47 · Pomegranate Seed · Edith Wharton · nv The Saturday Evening Post Apr 25 31
- 82 · The Demon Lover · Elizabeth Bowen · ss The Listener, 1941
- 91 · Midnight Blue · John Collier · ss New Yorker Jan 22 38
- 98 · Miriam · Truman Capote · ss Mademoiselle Jun 45
- 112 · The Daemon Lover [The Phantom Lover] · Shirley Jackson · ss Womans Home Companion Feb 49
- 130 · Heartburn · Hortense Calisher · ss The American Mercury Jan 51
- 142 · The Screaming Woman · Ray Bradbury · ss Today May 27 51
- 158 · W.S. · L. P. Hartley · ss World Review Jan 52
- 171 · The Inner Room · Robert Aickman · nv The Second Fontana Book of Great Ghost Stories, ed. Robert Aickman, Fontana, 1966
- 206 · Mrs. Aclands Ghosts · William Trevor · ss Angels at the Ritz and Other Stories, Bodley Head, 1975
- 224 · The Chimney · Ramsey Campbell · ss Whispers, ed. Stuart David Schiff, Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1977
- 244 · The Double Poet · Alison Lurie · na, 1989
- 270 · The Doll · Joyce Carol Oates · nv Epoch, 1980
- 295 · Notes · Misc. · ms
The Girl Next Door Jack Ketchum (Overlook Connection Press 0-9633397-4-5, Aug 2002, $39.95, 243pp, hc, cover by Neal McPheeters) Reprint (Warner 1989) psychological horror novel. This retains the 1996 OCP limited editions introduction by Stephen King, but drops the three afterwords and interview; a previous trade edition listed had this ISBN only on a sticker on the dust jacket flap. Ketchum is a pen name for Dallas Mayr. Available from Overlook Connection Press, PO Box 526, Woodstock GA 30188; credit card orders 770-926-1762; add $5.00 postage.
Red Jack Ketchum (Overlook Connection Press 1-892950-47-2, May 2002, $44.95, 194pp, pb, cover by Neal McPheeters) Associational horror novel of a man and his dog. A trade paperback edition (-59-6) was announced but not seen; a signed, slipcased edition of 100 and a lettered leatherbound, wood-cased edition of 26 is also available. Ketchum is a pen name for Dallas Mayr. First US edition (Headline 1995). Order from Overlook Connection Press, PO Box 526, Woodstock GA 30188; 770-926-1762; [www.overlookconnection.com].
Red Jack Ketchum (Leisure 0-8439-5040-4, Aug 2002, $5.99, 211 + 93pp, pb) Collection of the associational horror novel of the title, and novella The Passenger. Ketchum is a pen name for Dallas Mayr.
- 1 · Red · n. Overlook, 2002
- 213 · The Passenger · na Night Visions 10, ed. Richard T. Chizmar, Subterranean Press, 2001
Shelf Life: Fantastic Stories Celebrating Bookstores ed. Greg Ketter (DreamHaven Books 1-892058-05-7, Nov 2002, $75.00, 285 + xvi, hc, cover by John Picacio) Original anthology of 16 stories about bookstores, two reprints, published to celebrate DreamHaven Books 25th anniversary. Authors include Gene Wolfe, Ramsey Campbell, Jack Williamson, and Nina Kiriki Hoffman. Introduction by Neil Gaiman. This is a signed, limited edition of 1000. Order from DreamHaven Books, 912 W. Lake St., Minneapolis MN 55408; 612-823-6161; [firstname.lastname@example.org]; [www.dreamhavenbooks.com]; add $4.00 postage.
The Shadows of God J. Gregory Keyes (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-45583-5, Oct 2002, $6.99, 334pp, pb, cover by Terese Nielsen) [Age of Unreason] Reprint (Del Rey 2001) historical fantasy novel, fourth in the Age of Unreason series.
In the Garden of Poisonous Flowers Caitlín R. Kiernan (Subterranean Press 1-931081-48-4, Apr 2002, $20.00, 85pp, hc, cover by Dame Darcy) [Threshold] Horror novella, a prequel to Threshold. Illustrated by Dame Darcy. A signed limited edition (-49-2, $40.00) with added chapbook is also available.
Silk Caitlín R. Kiernan (Penguin/Roc 0-451-45900-8, Nov 2002, $14.00, 353pp, tp, cover by Victor Stabin) Reprint (Roc 1998) dark fantasy novel.
Tales of Pain & Wonder Caitlín R. Kiernan (Meisha Merlin 1-892065-38-X, Feb 2002, $16.00, 395pp, tp, cover by Naoto Hattori) Reprint (Gauntlet Press 2000) collection of 21 stories and one poem. This retains the introduction by Douglas E. Winter and afterword by Peter Straub.
Wilding Nights Lee Killough (Meisha Merlin 1-892065-71-1, May 2002, $16.00, 353pp, tp, cover by Hoang Nguyen) Fantasy/mystery. Homicide detective Alison Goodnight is a werewolf passing as human. Available from Meisha Merlin Publishing, PO Box 7, Decatur GA 30031; [www.meishamerlin.com].