Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 2004
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
Infernum: The Art of Jason Engle Jason Engle (Paper Tiger 1-84340-203-3, Oct 2004, £20.00, 128pp, hc, cover by Jason Engle) Collection of fantasy and mainstream art, with text by Engle.
The Healthy Dead Steven Erikson (PS Publishing 1-904619-09-6, Aug 2004, £10.00, 103pp, tp, cover by Edward Miller) [Malazan; Bauchelain & Korbal Broach] Fantasy novella of necromancers Bauchelain and Korbal Broach. Introduction by Paul Kearney. This is a limited edition of 500 signed by Erikson; a hardcover edition of 400 (-09-6, £25.00) signed by Erikson and Kearney is also available. Available from PS Publishing, Hamilton House, 4 Park Ave., Harrogate, HG2 9BQ, UK; [www.pspublishing.co.uk].
Midnight Tides Steven Erikson (Transworld/Bantam UK 0-593-04628-5, Mar 2004, £12.99, 698pp, tp, cover by Steve Stone) [Malazan Book of the Fallen] Fantasy novel, the fifth volume of The Malazan Book of the Fallen. A hardcover edition (-04627-7, £20.00) is also available.
Sands of Time Barbara Erskine (HarperCollins UK 0-00-651209-7, Apr 2004, £6.99, 416pp, pb) Reprint (HarperCollins UK 2003) collection of 23 stories and three poems.
The Village of Widows Ravi Shankar Etteth (Transworld/Black Swan 0-552-77078-7, May 2004, £6.99, 302pp, tp, cover by Judy Haslam-Jones) Literary novel with fantasy elements. A hardback (Doubleday UK 0-385-60404-1, £12.99) scheduled for 1/04 was cancelled.
Medalon Jennifer Fallon (Time Warner UK/Orbit 1-84149-326-0, May 2004, £7.99, 615pp, pb, cover by Lee Gibbons) [Demon Child] Reprint (Voyager Australia 2000) fantasy novel, the first book of The Demon Child trilogy. [First U.K. edition]
The Sea of Trolls Nancy Farmer (Simon & Schuster UK 0-689-86043-9, Oct 2004, £12.99, 459pp, hc, cover by Mel Grant) [Sea of Trolls] Reprint (Atheneum 2004) young-adult fantasy novel. [First U.K. edition]
Warhammer 40,000: Legacy Matthew Farrar (Black Library 1-84416-092-0, Jul 2004, £5.99, 251pp, pb, cover by Clint Langley) [Warhammer 40,000] Novelization based on the future-war roleplaying game universe, second in the Shira Calpurnia series.
Exiles Return Raymond E. Feist (HarperCollins/Voyager 0-00-224683-X, Sep 2004, £18.99, v+356pp, hc) [Conclave of Shadows] Fantasy novel, third book of Conclave of Shadows.
King of Foxes Raymond E. Feist (HarperCollins/Voyager 0-00-224686-4, May 2004, £11.99, iii+374pp, tp, cover by Martin McKenna) [Conclave of Shadows] Reprint (Voyager 2003) fantasy novel, book two of Conclave of Shadows.
Prince of the Blood Raymond E. Feist (HarperCollins/Voyager 0-00-717616-3, Sep 2004, £7.99, 356pp, pb, cover by Dominic Harman) Reprint (Doubleday Foundation 1989) fantasy novel.
Jimmy the Hand Raymond E. Feist & Steve Stirling (HarperCollins/Voyager 0-00-648390-9, Jun 2004, £6.99, 369pp, pb, cover by Geoff Taylor) [Legends of the Riftwar] Reprint (Voyager 2003) fantasy novel, book three of Legends of the Riftwar, 15th in the overall Rift series.
Something Rotten Jasper Fforde (Hodder & Stoughton 0-340-83558-3, Jul 2004, £12.99, 400pp, hc, cover by Mark Thomas) [Thursday Next] Humorous alternate-world fantasy novel. Fourth in the Thursday Next series. A collectors edition (£18.99) was announced but not seen.
The Well of Lost Plots Jasper Fforde (Hodder Headline/NEL 0-340-82593-6, Jan 2004, £6.99, 368pp, tp) [Thursday Next] Reprint (Hodder & Stoughton 2003) alternate-Earth humorous SF/fantasy novel. Third in the Thursday Next series after The Eyre Affair and Lost in a Good Book.
The Archon Catherine Fisher (Hodder Childrens Books 0-340-84377-2, Feb 2004, £5.99, i+392pp, tp, cover by Tracey Hurst & Jerry Paris) [Oracle Prophecies] Young-adult fantasy novel, sequel to The Oracle.
The Glass Tower Catherine Fisher (Random House UK/Red Fox 0-09-947298-8, Aug 2004, £5.99, 351pp, tp, cover by Paul Young) Omnibus of three unconnected young-adult fantasy novels: The Conjurors Game (1990), The Candle Man (1994), and Fintans Tower (1991).
- 1 · The Conjurors Game · n. London: The Bodley Head, 1990
- 99 · The Candle Man [The Candleman] · n. London: The Bodley Head, 1994
- 237 · Fintans Tower · n. London: The Bodley Head, 1991
Wild Magic Jude Fisher (Simon & Schuster/Pocket UK 0-7434-4041-2, Jul 2004, £6.99, 565pp, pb, cover by Larry Rostant) [Fools Gold] Reprint (DAW 2003) fantasy novel. Book Two of Fools Gold. Fisher is a pseudonym of Jane Johnson.
The Portrait of Mrs. Charbuque Jeffrey Ford (Macmillan/Tor UK 0-330-41318-X, Apr 2004, £6.99, 324pp, pb, cover by blacksheep) Reprint (HarperCollins/Eos 2002) fantasy novel.
Breathe: Everyone Has To Do It Christopher Fowler (Telos 1-903889-67-7, Jun 2004, £7.99, 102pp, tp) Dark fantasy novella of a business whose offices have an extreme sick building syndrome. Available from Beech House, Chapel Lane, Moulton, Cheshire CW9 8PQ. A limited, numbered hardcover edition (-68-5, £25.00) was announced but not seen.
Demonized Christopher Fowler (Serpents Tail 1-85242-848-1, Feb 2004, £10.00, x+241pp, tp, cover by wall) Original collection of 17 dark fantasy stories, four reprints.
- vii · Foreword: Into Darker Fiction · in *
- 1 · Were Going Where the Sun Shines Brightly · ss Dark Terrors 6: The Gollancz Book of Horror, ed. Stephen Jones & David Sutton, Gollancz, 2002
- 17 · Hitlers Houseguest · ss *
- 34 · Dealing with the Situation · ss The Big Issue Christmas
- 43 · The Green Man · ss The Third Alternative #31, 2002
- 65 · Breaking Heart · ss *
- 74 · Where They Went Wrong · ss Terror Tales (Number One), ed. John B. Ford & Paul Kane, Rainfall Books, 2003
- 85 · In Safe Hands · nv *
- 106 · Seven Feet · ss *
- 125 · American Waitress · ss Crimewave #7, 2003
- 142 · Above the Glass Ceiling · ss *
- 156 · Personal Space · ss *
- 166 · Hop · ss *
- 177 · The Scorpion Jacket · ss *
- 189 · Feral · ss *
- 196 · One Night Out · ss *
- 206 · Emotional Response · nv *
- 231 · Cairo 6.1 · ss *
The Devil in Me Christopher Fowler (Serpents Tail 1-85242-768-X, Feb 2004, £6.99, 246pp, tp, cover by wall) Reprint (Serpents Tail 2001) collection of 12 mainstream/fantasy urban horror tales.
Full Dark House Christopher Fowler (Transworld/Bantam UK 0-553-81552-0, Jul 2004, £6.99, 412pp, pb) [Bryant & May] Reprint (Doubleday UK 2003) gothic mystery novel in the Bryant & May series.
The Water Room Christopher Fowler (Transworld/Doubleday UK 0-385-60554-4, Sep 2004, £12.99, 400pp, hc, cover by James Macfarlane) [Bryant & May] Gothic mystery novel. Second in a new series featuring Bryant & May, the decrepit detectives from Rune and Darkest Day, after Full Dark House.
Goblins! Brian Froud & Ari Berk (Pavilion 1-86205-684-6, Oct 2004, £14.99, 90pp, hc, cover by Brian Froud) Art book on types of goblins, with art by Froud and text by Berk.
Making History Stephen Fry (Random House UK/Arrow 0-09-945706-7, Aug 2004, £6.99, 575pp, tp) Reissue (Hutchinson 1996) SF novel.
Dragon Rider Cornelia Funke (Chicken House, The 1-903434-90-4, Aug 2004, £12.99, 527pp, hc, cover by Paul Howard) Young-adult fantasy novel, translated by Anthea Bell from Drachenreiter (Cecilie Dressler 1997). Includes a fold-out map. The original text is copyright 2000; a first English translation by Oliver Georg 2001 is noted on the copyright page.
Inkheart Cornelia Funke (Chicken House, The 1-904442-21-8, Jun 2004, £6.99, 543pp, tp, cover by Carol Lawson) [Inkheart] Reprint (The Chicken House 2003) young-adult fantasy novel. Translated by Anthea Bell from the original German Tintenherz (Cecilie Dressler Verlag 2003). The original UK edition was not seen.
Cross Stitch Diana Gabaldon (Random House UK/Arrow 0-09-991170-1, Oct 2004, £7.99, 863pp, pb, cover by Alison Groom) [Outlander] Reissue (Century; Delacorte as Outlander 1991) fantasy time-travel novel. The first book in the Outlander series.
Dragonfly in Amber Diana Gabaldon (Random House UK/Arrow 0-09-929471-0, Oct 2004, £7.99, 963pp, pb, cover by Alison Groom) [Outlander] Reissue (Delacorte 1992) fantasy novel. Book two in the Outlander series. 22nd printing.
Drums of Autumn Diana Gabaldon (Random House UK/Arrow 0-09-966431-6, Oct 2004, 1185pp, pb, cover by Alison Groom) [Outlander] Reissue (Century 1997 as The Drums of Autumn) fantasy novel. Book four in the Outlander series. 12th printing.
The Fiery Cross Diana Gabaldon (Random House UK/Arrow 0-09-9712001-3, Oct 2004, £7.99, 1412pp, pb, cover by Alison Groom) [Outlander] Reissue (Century 2001) fantasy novel. Book five in the Outlander series. Second printing.
Lord John and the Private Matter Diana Gabaldon (Random House UK/Arrow 0-09-946117-X, Oct 2004, £6.99, 475pp, pb, cover by Godfried Schalcken) [Outlander; Lord John Grey] Reprint (Century 2003) associational historical murder mystery, first in a trilogy, related to the Outlander series. This edition adds a novella and an afterword.
Voyager Diana Gabaldon (Random House UK/Arrow 0-09-942851-2, Oct 2004, £7.99, 1059pp, pb, cover by Alison Groom) [Outlander] Reissue (Delacorte 1994) fantasy novel. Book three in the Outlander series. 18th printing.
Smallville: Shadows Diana G. Gallagher (Atom 1-904233-52-X, Jan 2004, £4.99, 261pp, tp) [Smallville] Reprint (Warner Aspect 2003) novelization based on the television series based on DC Comics Superman. [First U.K. edition]
Out of His Mind Stephen Gallagher (PS Publishing 1-902880-98-6, Aug 2004, £35.00, ix+409pp, hc, cover by Chris Moore) Collection of 22 stories (one original) with end notes on all the stories. Introduction by Brian Clemens. This is a limited edition of 500, signed by Gallagher; a slipcased edition of 200 (-97-8, £60.00) signed by Gallagher and Clemens is also available. Available from Hamilton House, 4 Park Ave., Harrogate, HG2 9BQ, UK; [www.pspublishing.co.uk].
- vii · Introduction · Brian Clemens · in *
- 1 · Magpie · ss Final Shadows, ed. Charles L. Grant, Doubleday Foundation, 1991
- 21 · Not Here, Not Now · ss Cold Cuts III, ed. Paul Lewis & Steve Lockley, Wales: Alun Books, 1995
- 29 · By the River, Fontainebleau · ss F&SF Aug 86
- 47 · Driving Force · ss Fear! May/Jun( +1 89
- 69 · The Visitors Book · ss Darklands, ed. Nicholas Royle, Edgerton Press, 1991
- 83 · Little Angels · ss *
- 91 · The Drain · nv Fantasy Tales, v.11 #4, ed. Stephen Jones & David A. Sutton, Robinson, 1990
- 123 · Old, Red Shoes · ss Ripper!, ed. Gardner Dozois & Susan Casper, Tor, 1988
- 141 · The Horn · nv Arrows of Eros, ed. Alex Stewart, NEL, 1989
- 167 · Modus Operandi · ss New Crimes, ed. Maxim Jakubowski, London: Robinson, 1989
- 179 · The Jigsaw Girl · ss Shadows #9, ed. Charles L. Grant, Doubleday, 1986
- 195 · Fancy That! · ss Shivers for Christmas, ed. Richard Dalby, OMara, 1995
- 203 · Life Line · ss Dark Fantasies, ed. Chris Morgan, Legend, 1989
- 225 · Like Shadows in the Dark · ss Shadows #10, ed. Charles L. Grant, Doubleday, 1987
- 245 · No Life for Me Without You, Vodyanoi · nv F&SF Sep 85
- 273 · Gods Bright Little Engine · ss Tombs, Edward E. Kramer & Peter Crowther, White Wolf, 1995
- 291 · O, Virginia · ss Marilyn: Shades of Blonde, ed. Carole Nelson Douglas, Forge, 1997
- 305 · The Sluice · ss Narrow Houses, ed. Peter Crowther, Little Brown UK, 1992
- 323 · Poisoned · ss Kimota #6 97
- 335 · Casey, Where He Lies · ss Imagination, 1991
- 349 · In Gethsemene · nv Heaven Sent, ed. Peter Crowther & Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, 1995
- 383 · In There · bg Dancing with the Dark, ed. Stephen Jones, Vista, 1997
- 387 · End Notes · ms *
Rumors of War and Infernal Machines: Technomilitary Agenda-Setting in American and British Speculative Fiction Charles E. Gannon (Liverpool University Press 0-85323-708-5, Nov 2003, £20.00, 311pp, tp, cover by Mark Preston) Critical examination of ways speculative fiction has influenced and been influence by political/military beliefs about the future, from Victorian times to the present. This is dated 2003 but not seen until now. A hardcover edition (-698-4, £50.00) was announced but not seen.
Fatal Women Esther Garber (Egerton House 0-9546275-5-5, May 2004, £12.99, 396pp, tp, cover by John Kaiine) Original collection of seven stories, one by Garber and Yolande Sorores, one by Sorores alone. Garber is a pen name for Tanith Lee; Sorores is a pen name for Juliette Shapiro. This is a print-on-demand edition. Egerton House, 3 Egerton Road, Bexhill on Sea, East Sussex, TN39 3HH, UK; [email@example.com].
- 15 · Rherlotte · sn Fatal Women, Egerton House Publishing, 2004
- 145 · Virgile, The Widow · sn Fatal Women, Egerton House Publishing, 2004
- 255 · The Umbrella · ss Fatal Women, Egerton House Publishing, 2004
- 265 · The Woman Under the Umbrella · Yolande Sorores · ss Fatal Women, Egerton House Publishing, 2004
- 275 · Green Iris · na Fatal Women, Egerton House Publishing, 2004
- 351 · Rain · Esther Garber & Yolande Sorores · nv Fatal Women, Egerton House Publishing, 2004
- 381 · Le Jardin · ss Fatal Women, Egerton House Publishing, 2004
34 Esther Garber (Egerton House 0-9546275-8-X, May 2004, £7.99, 150pp, tp, cover by John Kaiine) Lesbian erotic novel with surreal/fantastic elements. Garber is a pen name for Tanith Lee. This is a print-on-demand edition. Egerton House, 3 Egerton Road, Bexhill on Sea, East Sussex, TN39 3HH, UK; [firstname.lastname@example.org].
Grendel John Gardner (Orion/Gollancz 0-575-07582-1, Aug 2004, £6.99, 123pp, tp, cover by Edward Miller) Reprint (Knopf 1971) fantasy novel. The tale of Beowulf told from Grendels point of view. Volume 41 in the Fantasy Masterworks series.
Thursbitch Alan Garner (Random House/Vintage UK 0-09-945936-1, Sep 2004, £6.99, 155pp, tp) Reprint (The Harvill Press 2003) literary fantasy novel.
Warhammer 40,000: What Price Victory ed. Marc Gascoigne & Christian Dunn (BL Publishing/Black Library 1-84416-077-7, Mar 2004, £5.99, 252pp, pb, cover by Scott Johnson) [Warhammer 40,000] Anthology of seven stories, two original, set in the far-future world of the roleplaying game.
Warhammer: Swords of the Empire ed. Marc Gascoigne & Christian Dunn (BL Publishing/Black Library 1-84416-088-2, Mar 2004, £5.99, 253pp, pb, cover by Karl Kopinski) [Warhammer] Anthology of six stories, two original, set in the world of the fantasy roleplaying game.
Dusk Susan Gates (Penguin/Puffin UK 0-141-31705-1, Mar 2004, £4.99, 172pp, tp, cover by Ken de Silva) Young-adult SF novel about a military genetic experiment fusing human and avian DNA.
Swords of Night and Day David Gemmell (Bantam UK 0-593-04447-9, Apr 2004, £17.99, 459pp, hc, cover by John Bolton) [Drenai: Skilgannon the Damned] Fantasy novel in the Drenai sequence, second in the Skilgannon the Damned series after White Wolf.
White Wolf David Gemmell (Transworld/Corgi 0-552-14677-3, Apr 2004, £6.99, 589pp, pb, cover by John Bolton) [Drenai: Skilgannon the Damned] Reprint (Bantam UK 2003) fantasy novel in the Drenai sequence, featuring Druss the Legend. First in a new series about Skilgannon the Damned.
1610: A Sundial in a Grave Mary Gentle (Orion/Gollancz 0-575-07552-X, Nov 2004, £8.99, 704pp, tp, cover by Les Edwards) Reprint (Gollancz 2003) alternate-history fantasy novel.
Cartomancy Mary Gentle (Orion/Gollancz 0-575-07532-5, Mar 2004, £6.99, 313pp, tp, cover by Les Edwards) Collection of 15 stories, one original, each with an afterword by Gentle.
- 1 · Cartomancy: An Introduction · lk Villains!, ed. Mary Gentle & Roz Kaveney, Roc UK, 1992
- 11 · The Logistics of Carthage · na Worlds That Werent, ed. Laura Anne Gilman, Roc, 2002
- 86 · Afterword: 1477 and all that · aw *
- 91 · Kitsune · ss Odyssey #5 98
- 104 · Afterword to Kitsune · aw *
- 107 · The Road to Jerusalem · nv Interzone Oct 91
- 144 · Afterword to The Road to Jerusalem · aw *
- 147 · Orcs Drift · Mary Gentle & Dean Wayland · ss Valkyrie #3 97
- 155 · Afterword to Orcs Drift · aw *
- 157 · The Tarot Dice · nv, 1988
- 179 · Afterword to The Tarot Dice · aw *
- 181 · The Harvest of Wolves · ss IASFM Dec 83
- 190 · Afterword to The Harvest of Wolves · aw *
- 191 · Anukazis Daughter [Hundred Isles] · ss Isaac Asimovs Tomorrows Voices, ed. editors of Isaac Asimovs Science Fiction Magazine, Dial, 1984
- 207 · Afterword to Anukazis Daughter · aw *
- 209 · What God Abandoned · nv Weerde: Book 1, ed. Mary Gentle & Roz Kaveney, Roc UK, 1992
- 237 · Afterword to What God Abandoned · aw *
- 239 · The Pits Beneath the World · ss Peter Davisons Book of Alien Planets, ed. Peter Davison, Sparrow, 1983
- 249 · Afterword to Pits Beneath the World · aw *
- 251 · Cast a Long Shadow · ss *
- 267 · Afterword to Cast a Long Shadow · aw *
- 269 · A Sun in the Attic · ss Despatches from the Frontiers of the Female Mind, ed. Jen Green & Sarah Lefanu, London: The Womens Press, 1985
- 286 · Afterword to Sun in the Attic · aw *
- 289 · A Shadow Under the Sea [Hundred Isles] · ss IASFM Oct 83
- 300 · Afterword to A Shadow Under the Sea · aw *
- 301 · Human Waste · ss Interzone Jul 94
- 307 · Afterword to Human Waste · aw *
- 309 · Cartomancy: Conclusion · lk Villains!, ed. Mary Gentle & Roz Kaveney, Roc UK, 1992
- 312 · Afterword · aw *
Faces of Mist and Flame Jon George (Macmillan/Tor UK 1-4050-3397-5, May 2004, £10.99, 390pp, tp, cover by Dominic Harman) SF novel of mind transfer through time. A first novel.
The Song of False Lovers Sylvie Germain (Dedalus 1-903517-25-7, Nov 2004, £8.99, 196pp, tp, cover by David Bird) Literary fantasy novel, translated by Christine Donougher from the French Chansons des mail-aimants (Editions Gallimard 2002). Introduction by Victoria Best.
Angel Stations Gary Gibson (Macmillan/Tor UK 1-4050-3445-9, Oct 2004, £10.99, 392pp, tp, cover by Steve Rawlings) SF novel.
Pattern Recognition William Gibson (Penguin UK 0-14-026614-3, Jun 2004, £7.99, 357pp, tp) Reprint (Putnam 2003) contemporary thriller of a dysfunctional marketeer hired to investigate an addictive new form of webvertising.
Flesh and Blood Nick Gifford (Penguin/Puffin UK 0-141-31605-5, Jan 2004, £4.99, 211pp, tp) Young-adult fantasy novel.
The Yellow Wallpaper Charlotte Perkins Gilman (Virago 0-86068-201-3, 2002, £4.99, 63pp, tp) Reissue (The Feminist Press 1973) short story plus an afterword by Elaine R. Hedges. Virago Modern Classics 50.