Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 1999
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
Planet of the Apes as American Myth: Race Politics, and Popular Culture Eric Greene (University Press of New England/Wesleyan 0-8195-6329-3, Mar 99, $17.95, 248pp, tp) Reprint (McFarland 1996) study of the SF films and their popular impact. There is an updated preface by the author. This is dated 1998, but not seen until now. Foreword by Richard Slotkin. Available from University Press of New England, 23 South Main St, Hanover NH 03755; orders 800-421-1561; add $5.00 postage.
Forgotten Realms: Silverfall: Stories of the Seven Sisters Ed Greenwood (TSR 0-7869-1365-7, Aug 99, $14.99, 376pp, tp, cover by John Foster) [Forgotten Realms] Fantasy novelization/collection of seven linked novellas based on the role-playing game. Copyrighted by TSR.
- 1 · Prologue · pr *
- 7 · Dove: No More in Armor for My Sake · na *
- 61 · Qilué: Dark Dancer, Bright Dance · na *
- 115 · Laeral: Lady Passalanters Busy Day · na *
- 167 · Alustriel: When a Good Man Loses His Head · na *
- 221 · Syluné: The Haunting of Blandras Huin · na *
- 269 · The Simbul: Wizard Hunting Season · na *
- 325 · Storm: Not Just Any Mage in a Storm · na *
Forgotten Realms: The Temptation of Elminster Ed Greenwood (Wizards of the Coast/TSR 0-7869-1427-0, Nov 99 [Oct 99], $5.99, 410pp, tp, cover by Todd Lockwood) [Forgotten Realms: Elminster] Reprint (TSR 1998) fantasy novelization based on the role-playing game, third in the series about the young Elminster. Copyrighted by TSR.
Star Trek: Parallel Narratives Chris Gregory (St. Martins 0-312-22583-0, Dec 99, $35.00, 225pp, hc) [Star Trek] Critical analysis of Star Trek as a reflection of popular culture, analyzing its psychological, political, and social themes and mythic elements. Includes bibliography and index.
The Cornflake House Deborah Gregory (St. Martins 0-312-20290-3, May 99 [Apr 99], $21.95, 228pp, hc, cover by Gerard DeBois) Mainstream fantasy novel. A woman with magic talents tells about her unconventional family, and how her mother used her powers to win a cereal-box contest and move to the suburbs. A first novel. First US edition (Picador UK 2/99).
The Termination Node Lois Gresh & Robert Weinberg (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-41245-1, Jan 99, $24.00, 312pp, hc, cover by Barclay Shaw) Associational very-near-future thriller of computer hackers able to break the best security systems, and ready to eliminate anyone who might stop them.
The Termination Node Lois Gresh & Robert Weinberg (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-41246-X, Nov 99, $6.99, 302pp, pb) Reprint (Del Rey 1999) very-near-future SF thriller of computer hackers. Includes an unpaginated eight-page interview with the authors.
World of Darkness: Tzimisce Eric Griffin (White Wolf 1-56504-802-4, May 99 [Apr 99], $5.99, 272pp, tp, cover by John Van Fleet) [World of Darkness: Clan] Novelization of the Clan based on the Vampire: the Masquerade role-playing games. Copyrighted by White Wolf.
Cougar Helen V. Griffith (Morrow Greenwillow 0-688-16337-8, May 99 [Apr 99], $15.00, 106pp, hc, cover by Nina Crews) Young-adult ghost novella. A boy faces bullies at a new school with the help of a ghost horse and a beat-up bike.
The Blue Place Nicola Griffith (Avon 0-380-79088-2, Jun 99, $12.00, 308pp, tp) Reprint (Avon 1998) associational thriller.
Bending the Landscape: Science Fiction ed. Nicola Griffith & Stephen Pagel (Overlook Press 0-87951-735-2, Nov 99 [Dec 99], $13.95, 375pp, tp, cover by J. K. Potter) Reprint (Overlook Press 1998) original anthology of 21 SF stories about gays and lesbians. The cover calls this Volume I in a series, but this is actually the second, following Bending the Landscape: Fantasy (White Wolf 1997).
Cauldron of Iniquity Anne Lesley Groell (Penguin/Roc 0-451-45771-4, Dec 99, $6.50, 437pp, pb, cover by Alan Pollack) [Cloak and Dagger] Fantasy novel, the third about trainee guild assassins The Cloak & Dagger. The duo get a holiday job as bodyguards at an illusion club.
Magic: The Gathering: The Gathering Dark Jeff Grubb (TSR/Wizards of the Coast 0-7869-1357-6, Jun 99, $5.99, 342pp, tp, cover by Gary Ruddell) [Magic: The Gathering: Ice Age Cycle] Novelization based on the fantasy card game. First book in the Ice Age Cycle. Copyrighted by Wizards of the Coast.
Dinotopia: First Flight James Gurney (HarperCollins 0-06-028007-7, Oct 99 [Sep 99], $19.95, 60pp, hc, cover by James Gurney) [Dinotopia] Art book, third in the series. Dinosaurs, robots, and aircraft mix in Dinotopias distant past, when a high-tech empire threatened to take over. The inside front cover forms a game board used with bound-in pieces.
Dinotopia: The World Beneath James Gurney (HarperCollins 0-06-028006-9, Apr 99 [Mar 99], $29.95, 160pp, hc, cover by James Gurney) [Dinotopia] Reprint (Turner 1995) art book, sequel to Dinotopia. HarperCollins is now marketing these as young-adult books.
Just Ella Margaret Peterson Haddix (Simon & Schuster 0-689-82186-7, Sep 99 [Oct 99], $17.00, 185pp, hc, cover by René Milot) [Just Ella] Associational young-adult novel based on the Cinderella story. Life with a prince isnt happily ever after, regardless of what people want to believe; about peoples need for fantasy, but not actually fantastic.
Allan Quatermain and the Lost City of Gold H. Rider Haggard (Regnery/Gateway Movie Classics 0-89526-327-0, 1999 [May 99], $14.95, 309pp, tp) [Allan Quatermain] Reprint (Longmans, Green 1887 as Allan Quatermain) classic lost-race adventure novel. This appears to be the text of the original novel, not the 1986 movie tie-in abridgement of the same title.
King Solomons Mines H. Rider Haggard (Tor 0-812-58356-6, Dec 98 [Feb 99], $3.99, 236pp, pb, cover by Dan Gonzalez) [Allan Quatermain] Reissue (Cassell 1885) classic lost-race adventure novel featuring Allan Quatermain. This indicates first printing, and has a 1998 copyright on new material, but aside from brief historical/biographical introductions this is the original text.
King Solomons Mines H. Rider Haggard (Regnery/Gateway Movie Classics 0-89526-329-7, 1999 [May 99], $14.95, 242pp, tp) [Allan Quatermain] Reprint (Cassell 1885) classic lost-race adventure novel featuring Allan Quatermain.
She H. Rider Haggard (Regnery/Gateway Movie Classics 0-89526-328-9, 1999 [May 99], $14.95, 318pp, tp) [She] Reprint (Longmans, Green 1887) classic fantasy adventure novel, first in the She tetralogy.
Michael Hagues Magical World of Unicorns ed. Michael Hague (Simon & Schuster 0-689-82849-7, Oct 99 [Dec 99], $16.00, 34pp, hc, cover by Michael Hague) Picture book of Hagues unicorn paintings, accompanied by short poems and brief quotes about unicorns.
Vintage Science Fiction ed. Peter Haining (Carroll & Graf 0-7867-0647-3, Aug 99 [Jul 99], $11.95, 513pp, tp) Omnibus/anthology of 20 SF stories that inspired (or their authors inspired) films or TV series, originally published in two volumes from Severn House: Space Movies: Classic Science Fiction Films (1995) and Space Movies II: Famous Science Fiction Television Series (1996). This retains Hainings story introduction and two prologues. Authors include Isaac Asimov, Philip K. Dick, Clive Barker, and Terry Pratchett.
- 1 · Prologue: The Cinema of Possibilities · Peter Haining · in Space Movies, ed. Peter Haining, Severn House, 1995
- 5 · Destination Moon [from Rocket Ship Galileo] · Robert A. Heinlein · ex New York: Scribners, 1947
- 15 · It Came from Outer Space · Ray Bradbury · sa Super Cinema Annual 1955, (UK), 1954; an adapation of Bradburys screen treatment, The Meteor.
- 50 · The Conquest of Space [Life on Mars] · Werner Von Braun · nv This Week Apr 24 60 (+2)
- 87 · Panic in Year Zero [Lot; David Jimmon] · Ward Moore · nv F&SF May 53
- 120 · 2001: A Space Odyssey [Sentinel of Eternity] · Arthur C. Clarke · ss Ten Story Fantasy Spr 51
- 133 · Logans Run [from Logans World] · William F. Nolan · ex New York: Bantam, 1977
- 158 · Star Trek: The Motion Picture [The Unreal McCoy] · James Blish · sa Star Trek #1, Bantam, 1967; from the teleplay, The Man Trap by George Clayton Johnson.
- 174 · Total Recall [We Can Remember It for You Wholesale] · Philip K. Dick · nv F&SF Apr 66
- 201 · The Lawnmower Man · Stephen King · ss Cavalier May 75
- 214 · Candyman [The Forbidden] · Clive Barker · nv Clive Barkers Books of Blood v5, Sphere, 1985
- 269 · Prologue: Worlds of Space in the Living Room · Peter Haining · pr Space Movies II, ed. Peter Haining, Severn House, 1996
- 272 · Superman · George Lowther · nv Space Movies II, ed. Peter Haining, Severn House, 1996; Adapted from the first TV script, by Whitney Ellsworth & Robert Maxwell.
- 300 · Tales of Tomorrow [What Price Venus? by Evan Hunter] · S. A. Lombino · nv Fantastic Universe Aug/Sep 53; Screened as Appointment on Mars.
- 336 · The Quatermass Experiment [The R.A.F. and the Sleeping Beauty] · Nigel Kneale · ss Argosy (UK) Feb 45
- 346 · The Twilight Zone [The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street] · Rod Serling · sa Stories from the Twilight Zone, Bantam, 1960
- 370 · Out Of This World [Dumb Martian] · John Wyndham · nv Galaxy Jul 52
- 402 · Doctor Who [The Lost Ones, by Anon.] · Bill Strutton · nv The Dr. Who Annual, ed. Anon., World Distributors (Manchester) Ltd., 1965; incorrectly given as The Lair of the Zarbi from The Web Planet, London: Frederick Muller, 1965.
- 427 · The Outer Limits [The Invisible Enemy] · Jerry Sohl · nv Imaginative Tales Sep 55
- 458 · Out Of The Unknown [Liar!; Susan Calvin (Robot)] · Isaac Asimov · ss Astounding May 41
- 481 · The Martian Chronicles [Ill Not Look for Wine] · Ray Bradbury · ss Macleans Jan 1 50
- 498 · Discworld [Final Reward] · Terry Pratchett · ss GM Magazine Oct 88
Forever Free Joe Haldeman (Ace 0-441-00697-3, Dec 99, $21.95, 277pp, hc, cover by Bruce Jensen) [Forever War] SF novel, sequel to The Forever War, Haldemans 1975 Hugo and Nebula winner.
The Happiness Box Beverly A. Hale (Yard Dog Press 1-893687-03-1, Nov 98 [Jan 99], no price, 20pp, ph, cover by David Kimmel) Childrens fairy-tale/parable about a princess forced to suppress her feelings. Illustrated by David Kimmel. Order from Selina Rosen (dba) Yard Dog Comics, 710 W Redbud Lane, Alma AR 72921.
To Kill an Eidolon W. F. Halsey (Speculation Press 0-9671979-1-0, Sep 99, $11.50, 243pp, tp, cover by Terry M. Tindill) SF novel of conspiracy around a deadly epidemic. An on-demand edition. Available from Speculation Press, PO Box 543, DeKalb IL 60115; www.speculationpress.com.
Dragonshadow Barbara Hambly (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-42187-6, Mar 99 [Feb 99], $24.00, 297pp, hc, cover by Donato Giancola) [Winterlands] Fantasy novel, sequel to Dragonsbane. A dragon and the man called Dragonsbane team up to fight soul-stealing demonspawn.
Fever Season Barbara Hambly (Bantam 0-553-57527-9, May 99 [Apr 99], $5.99, 395pp, pb, cover by Jason Seder) [Benjamin January] Reprint (Bantam 1998) associational historical mystery, sequel to A Free Man of Color.
Graveyard Dust Barbara Hambly (Bantam 0-553-10259-1, Jul 99 [Jun 99], $23.95, 315pp, hc, cover by Jason Seder) [Benjamin January] Associational historical mystery, the third featuring Benjamin January, a free Creole in antebellum New Orleans. Benjamin is threatened with a voodoo curse when he tries to clear his sister of a murder.
Icefalcons Quest Barbara Hambly (SFBC #01808, Apr 98 [Jan 99], $11.98, 307pp, hc, cover by Donato Giancola) [Darwath] Reprint (Del Rey 1998) fantasy novel. Sequel to Mother of Winter, a followup to the Darwath trilogy. This was scheduled for 1998, but not seen until now. It is similar to the Del Rey edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Winterlands Barbara Hambly (SFBC #17910, May 99, $13.98, 513pp, hc, cover by Donato Giancola) [Winterlands] Omnibus of two fantasy novels: Dragonsbane (1985) and Dragonshadow 1999). This special SFBC edition has ISBN 0-7394-0278-1. It lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket, and comes shrinkwrapped with a poster of the cover art.
- 1 · Dragonsbane · n. New York: Del Rey, 1985
- 247 · Dragonshadow · n. New York: Del Rey, 1999
Kaldar: World of Antares Edmond Hamilton (Haffner Press 1-893887-01-4, Nov 98 [Jul 99], $55.00, 219pp, hc, cover by Jon Arfstrom) [Stuart Merrick] Collection of three SF adventure stories of the planet Kaldar, all originally published in 1933 pulps: Kaldar, World of Antares, The Snake-Men of Kaldar, and The Great Brain of Kaldar, plus a 1934 autobiographical piece by Hamilton. Introduction by Ray Bradbury. This is a limited edition of 300; it is dated 1998 but not seen until now. Haffner Press, 5005 Crooks Rd, Suite 35, Royal Oak MI 48073-1239; add $4.50 postage.
- · Kaldar, World of Antares · nv The Magic Carpet Apr 33
- · The Snake-Men of Kaldar · nv The Magic Carpet Oct 33
- · The Great Brain of Kaldar · nv Weird Tales Dec 35
Black Moon Inn Laurell K. Hamilton (SFBC #02676, Feb 99, $14.98, 613pp, hc, cover by Luis Royo) [Anita Blake] Omnibus of two novels in the Anita Blake, Vampire Executioner series: Burnt Offerings (1998) and Blue Moon (1998). This special SFBC edition has ISBN 0-7394-0046-0, and comes shrinkwrapped with a poster of the cover art.
- 1 · Burnt Offerings · n. New York: Ace, 1998
- 297 · Blue Moon · n. New York: Ace, 1998
Millennium Nights ed. P. G. R. Hamilton (New Zealand: Campus Press 1-877229-03-2, Nov 98 [Sep 99], NZ$29.95, 408pp, tp, cover by Martin Burge) Original anthology of 24 stories and one poem by New Zealand writers, mostly beginners, in which a millennium (any millennium) is pivotal. This is dated 1998, but did not appear until 1999. Order from Barabaras Books, 123 Great South Road, Papatoetoe New Zealand; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; US price $14.95.
The Naked God Peter F. Hamilton (Warner Aspect 0-446-52567-7, Jan 2000 [Dec 99], $26.95, 978pp, hc, cover by Jim Burns) [Nights Dawn] SF novel, third and final in the trilogy begun in The Reality Dysfunction. First US edition (Macmillan UK 10/99).
The Nano Flower Peter F. Hamilton (Tor 0-812-57769-8, Jun 99 [May 99], $6.99, 602pp, pb, cover by Barclay Shaw) [Greg Mandel] Reprint (Pan 1995) SF novel, third in the Greg Mandel trilogy about a freelance operative with telepathic powers.
Anna and the King Elizabeth Hand (HarperPaperbacks 0-06-102045-1, Nov 99 [Dec 99], $6.50, 297pp, pb) Associational novelization of the movie, with eight unpaginated pages of photos. Copyrighted by Twentieth Century Fox Film.
Black Light Elizabeth Hand (HarperPrism 0-06-105266-3, Apr 99 [Mar 99], $25.00, 276pp, hc) Contemporary fantasy/Dionysian/secret conspiracy novel.
Perlmans Ordeal Brooks Hansen (Farrar, Straus and Giroux 0-374-23078-1, Aug 99, $24.00, 329pp, hc, cover by Alvin Langdon Coburn) Literary fantasy novel set in 1906. A psychiatrist, a spiritualist, and a ghost battle over a girl who appears possessed by a spirit from Atlantis.
The Shadow of Ararat Thomas Harlan (Tor 0-312-86543-0, Jul 99 [Jun 99], $26.95, 510pp, hc, cover by Stephen Hickman) [Oath of Empire] Alternate-history fantasy novel of war between Rome and Persia, book one in The Oath of Empire. A first novel.
Rings Charles L. Harness (NESFA Press 1-886778-16-7, Nov 99 [Dec 99], $25.00, 597pp, hc, cover by Jane Dennis) Omnibus of four novels: The Ring of Ritornel (1968), The Paradox Men (1953), Firebird (1981), and Drunkards Endgame (not previously published). Introductions by George Zebrowski and by editor Priscilla Olson. Order from NESFA Pres, PO Box 809, Framingham MA 01701-0203.
- 11 · On Rings of Power · Priscilla Olson · in
- 13 · Charles Harness: Wielder of Light · George Zebrowski · in
- · The Paradox Men [Flight Into Yesterday] · n. New York: Bouregy & Curl, 1953
- · The Ring of Ritornel · n. London: Gollancz, 1968
- · Firebird · n. New York: Pocket Books, 1981
- · Drunkards Endgame · n. Rings, Charles L. Harness, NESFA Press, 1999
Orlanda Jacqueline Harpman (Seven Stories Press 1-58322-011-9, Sep 99 [Oct 99], $22.00, 221pp, hc) Literary fantasy novel. A woman reading Virginia Woolfs Orlando meets her male self and learns to embrace her wild side. Translated from the French (Bernard Grasset 1996) by Ros Schwartz. Winner of the 1996 Prix Médicis.
The Stainless Steel Rat Joins the Circus Harry Harrison (Tor 0-312-86934-7, Nov 99 [Oct 99], $23.95, 269pp, hc, cover by Julie Bell) [Slippery Jim (James Bolivar) diGriz] Humorous SF novel. Slippery Jim DiGriz investigates a circus linked to interstellar bank robberies.
Stars & Stripes Forever Harry Harrison (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-40934-5, Oct 99 [Sep 99], $6.99, 346pp, pb, cover by Dennis Lyall) [Stars and Stripes] Reprint (Hodder & Stoughton 1998) SF alternate-history novel, first in the Stars and Stripes series. This includes an unpaginated eight-page interview with Harrison.
The Gumshoe, the Witch, and the Virtual Corpse Keith Hartman (Meisha Merlin 1-89206-505-3, Apr 99 [May 99], $16.00, 429pp, tp, cover by Stephen Daniele) [Gumshoe] Near-future SF/fantasy humorous mystery novel. Very public scenes of occult ritual murder add to the tension between Christian extremists and pagans in Atlanta. A first novel. Order from Meisha Merlin Publishing, PO Box 7, Decatur GA 30031.
Mars Underground William K. Hartmann (Tor 0-812-58039-7, Feb 99 [Jan 99], $6.99, 428pp, pb) Reprint (Tor 1997) SF novel of Mars exploration.
Years Best SF 4 ed. David G. Hartwell (HarperPrism 0-06-105902-1, Jun 99 [May 99], $6.50, 484pp, pb, cover by John Harris) Years Best anthology of 20 stories from 1998, all strictly SF (no fantasy). Hartwell discusses the year in his very short introduction.
- ix · Introduction · David G. Hartwell · in
- 1 · Market Report · Alexander Jablokov · nv Asimovs Sep 98
- 31 · A Dance to Strange Musics · Gregory Benford · ss Science Fiction Age Nov 98
- 65 · The Year of the Mouse · Norman Spinrad · ss Asimovs Apr 98
- 75 · The Day Before They Came · Mary Soon Lee · ss Interzone Jul 98
- 83 · This Side of Independence · Rob Chilson · ss F&SF Feb 98
- 103 · The Twelfth Album · Stephen Baxter · ss Interzone Apr 98
- 119 · Story of Your Life · Ted Chiang · na Starlight 2, ed. Patrick Nielsen Hayden, Tor, 1998
- 183 · Whiptail · Robert Reed · ss Asimovs Oct/Nov 98
- 209 · The Eye of God · Mary Rosenblum · nv Asimovs Mar 98
- 243 · Rules of Engagement · Michael F. Flynn · nv Analog Mar 98
- 269 · Radiant Doors · Michael Swanwick · ss Asimovs Sep 98
- 291 · Unravelling the Thread · Jean-Claude Dunyach · ss Interzone Jul 98
- 303 · That Thing Over There · Dominic Green · ss Interzone Jun 98
- 323 · The Allies · Mark S. Geston · nv F&SF May 98
- 377 · My Pal Clunky · Ron Goulart · ss Analog Jun 98
- 397 · Life in the Extreme [Uplift] · David Brin · ss Popular Science Aug 98
- 417 · Near Enough to Home · Michael Skeet · ss Arrowdreams, ed. Mark Shainblum & John Dupuis, Nuage Editions, 1998
- 437 · A Game of Consequences · David Langford · ss Starlight 2, ed. Patrick Nielsen Hayden, Tor, 1998
- 451 · State of Nature · Nancy Kress · ss Bending the Landscape: Science Fiction, ed. Nicola Griffith & Steve Pagel, White Wolf, 1998
- 461 · Maneki Neko · Bruce Sterling · ss F&SF May 98; originally published in Japanese in Hayakawas Science Fiction Magazine.