Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 2000
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
Silver Screen Justina Robson (Pan 0-330-37566-0, Mar 2000, £5.99, 471pp, pb, cover by Steve Stone) Reprint (Macmillan UK 1999) SF novel.
Plague Malcolm Rose (Point 0-439-01013-6, Feb 2000, £4.99, 313pp, pb) Young-adult SF novel about a mysterious plague spreading through the UK.
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire J. K. Rowling (Bloomsbury 0-7475-4624-X, Jul 2000, £14.99, 636pp, hc, cover by Giles Greenfield) [Harry Potter] Young-adult fantasy novel. Book four of the planned seven-book series. Simultaneous with the US (Scholastic) edition.
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban J. K. Rowling (Bloomsbury 0-7475-4629-0, Mar 2000, £5.99, 319pp, pb, cover by Cliff Wright) [Harry Potter] Reprint (Bloomsbury 1999) young-adult fantasy novel. Third in the award-winning series.
The Time Out Book of London Short Stories: Volume 2 ed. Nicholas Royle (Penguin 0-14-029623-9, Oct 2000, £7.99, xii+339pp, tp) Associational anthology of 29 stories, including some literary fantasy. Authors include Michael Moorcock, Paul J. McAuley, and Kim Newman.
X-Men Kristine Kathryn Rusch & Dean Wesley Smith (Simon & Schuster/Pocket UK 0-7434-0398-3, Aug 2000, £5.99, 239pp, pb) [X-Men] Reprint (Del Rey 2000) novelization of the movie based on the Marvel Comics characters. [First U.K. edition]
The Ground Beneath Her Feet Salman Rushdie (Random House/Vintage UK 0-09-976601-9, Feb 2000, £6.99, 575pp, tp) Reprint (Jonathan Cape 1999) literary fantasy novel of dissonance and harmony.
Wasp Eric Frank Russell (Orion/Gollancz 0-575-07095-1, Apr 2000, £9.99, 175pp, tp, cover by Sue Michniewicz) Reprint (Avalon 1957) SF novel of interstellar warfare and terrorism. An SF Collectors Edition.
Mike and Gabys Space Gospel Ken Russell (Little, Brown/Warner UK 0-7515-3015-8, Jun 2000, £6.99, 207pp, tp, cover by Bill Gregory) Reprint (Little, Brown UK 1999) humorous SF/fantasy novel by the film director.
Unconquered Countries Geoff Ryman (HarperCollins/Flamingo 0-00-648347-X, Nov 99, £6.99, xii+275pp, tp) Reprint (St. Martins 1994) fantasy collection of four novellas, with an introduction by Samuel R. Delany and an afterword by the author. [First U.K. edition]
Times Hammers: The Collected Short Fiction of James Sallis James Sallis (Toxic 1-902002-28-8, Oct 2000, £9.99, 398pp, tp) Collection of 49 SF and mainstream stories. Two are original; the rest are fully revised for this edition.
- 9 · Times Hammers: Volume One
- 11 · Its Three OClock: Do You Know Where Your Monsters Are? · in
- 17 · Attitude of the Earth Toward Other Bodies · ss Full Spectrum 2, ed. Lou Aronica, Shawna McCarthy, Amy Stout & Patrick LoBrutto, Doubleday Foundation, 1989
- 29 · Kazoo · ss New Worlds Aug 67
- 35 · Bubbles · ss New Worlds Oct 68
- 45 · The Anxiety in the Eyes of the Cricket [Jerry Cornelius] · ss The New S.F., ed. Langdon Jones, London: Hutchinson, 1969
- 57 · Breakfast with Ralph · ss Rampike, 1984
- 61 · Intimations · ss Portland Review, 1982
- 65 · Letter to a Young Poet · ss Orbit 3, ed. Damon Knight, G.P. Putnams, 1968
- 73 · Faces, Hands [Faces & Hands] · nv Nova 1, ed. Harry Harrison, Delacorte, 1970
- 103 · The History Makers · ss Orbit 5, ed. Damon Knight, G.P. Putnams, 1969
- 113 · Impossible Things Before Breakfast · vi IASFM Jul 85
- 117 · Echo · ss The Berserkers, ed. Roger Elwood, Trident, 1974
- 125 · Doucement, Sil Vous Plaît · ss Orbit 11, ed. Damon Knight, G.P. Putnams, 1972
- 131 · Front & Centaur · ss New Worlds Mar 70
- 137 · Changes · ss Fantastic Apr 78
- 145 · At the Fitting Shop · ss Again, Dangerous Visions, ed. Harlan Ellison, Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1972
- 151 · Walls of Affection · vi Fractal Fll 94
- 155 · The Invasion of Dallas · ss Lone Star Universe, ed. George W. Proctor & Steven Utley, Heidelberg, 1976
- 163 · Driving · ss Pacific Review, 1984
- 169 · A Few Last Words · ss Orbit 4, ed. Damon Knight, G.P. Putnams, 1968
- 189 · Powers of Flight · ss Amazing Apr 93
- 195 · Finger and Flame · ss, 1991; Original in Reed (book or mag, unknown).
- 201 · Potato Tree · ss F&SF Jun 86
- 205 · Need · ss IASFM Jan 85
- 209 · Old Times · vi Realms of Fantasy Dec 98
- 213 · Becoming · ss The South Dakota Review, 1997
- 223 · Dawn Over Doldrums · ss Amazing Sep 93
- 235 · Ansleys Demons · ss F&SF Sep 92
- 245 · Times Hammers: Volume Two
- 247 · Forward, Bravely, into the Anthills · in
- 253 · Jim and Mary G · ss Orbit 7, ed. Damon Knight, G.P. Putnams, 1970
- 261 · I Saw Robert Johnson · vi EQMM Jun 89
- 265 · Vocalities · ss Blue Lightning, ed. John Harvey, Slow Dancer Press, 1998
- 271 · Others · ss Georgia Review, 1985
- 279 · Pure Reason · ss Urbanus/RaiZirr, 1994
- 289 · Wolf · ss Pacific Review, 1994
- 295 · Dogs in the Nighttime [The Curious Incident] · ss EQMM Feb 89
- 299 · Memory · ss Fugue #16 98
- 305 · The Leveller · ss, 1983
- 313 · Joyride · vi EQMM mid-Dec 88
- 317 · Delta Flight 281 · vi Alternities, ed. David Gerrald, Dell, 1974
- 319 · More Light · vi New Mystery v6 #1 98
- 325 · And then the dark · ss The War Book, ed. James Sallis, 1969
- 337 · D.C. al FINE [The Window] · ss AHMM Jul 82
- 345 · Blue Lab · ss *
- 353 · Blue Devils · ss AHMM Aug 96
- 361 · Oblations · ss *
- 365 · Winner · ss A Few Last Words, Macmillan, 1970
- 369 · Shutting Darkness Down · ss, 1998; Commissioned and broadcast by BBC; originally appeared in Louisiana Literature.
- 377 · Dear Floods of Her Hair · ss F&SF May 99
- 365 · Moments of Personal Adventure · vi Painted Hills Review, 1990
- 391 · Good Men [The Need] · ss EQMM Apr 90
The Demon Apostle R. A. Salvatore (Orion/Millennium 1-85798-923-6, Sep 2000, £6.99, 524pp, pb, cover by Geoff Taylor) [Demon Wars] Reprint (Del Rey 1999) fantasy novel. Last of the Demon trilogy after The Demon Awakens and The Demon Spirit. [First U.K. edition]
999 ed. Al Sarrantonio (Hodder Headline/NEL 0-340-74860-5, May 2000, £7.99, xx+828pp, pb) Reprint (Avon 1999) anthology of 29 original stories by acclaimed authors.
Icarus Descending Steve Savile (Enigmatic Press 0-9537476-0-3, Dec 99, £5.00, 74pp, ph, cover by Michael Gilroy) Chapbook original collection of two dark fantasy stories. Illustrated by Frank Mafrici. This was published in 1999, but not seen until now. Enigmatic press, 1 Gibbs Field, Bishops Stortford, Herts CM23 4EY England; www.epress.force9.co.uk
- 5 · An Icarus of the Night · John Pelan · in *
- 9 · Remember Me Yesterday · nv *
- 43 · Icarus Descending · nv *
- 75 · Praise for Steve Savile · Misc. · ms * [Steve Savile]
The Witches of Karres James H. Schmitz (Orion/Gollancz 0-575-07144-3, Nov 2000, £9.99, 344pp, tp) [Witches of Karres] Reprint (Chilton 1966) classic SF novel. An SF Collectors Edition.
Thraxas and the Elvish Isles Martin Scott (Little, Brown/Orbit 1-84149-002-4, Aug 2000, £5.99, 249pp, pb, cover by Julian Gibson & Paul Young) [Thraxas] Humorous fantasy novel. Book four in the Thraxas series. Scott is a pseudonym.
Floodland Marcus Sedgwick (Orion/Dolphin 1-85881-763-3, Mar 2000, £4.99, 122pp, tp, cover by Ian Butterworth) Young-adult SF novel. A young girl battles for survival in a near-future Britain sinking below the sea. Illustrated with woodcuts by the author. A first novel.
Cirque du Freak: The Saga of Darren Shan: Book 1 Darren Shan (Collins 0-00-675416-3, Jan 2000, £3.99, 183pp, tp) [Darren Shan] Young-adult dark fantasy novel. Two boys attend a freak show, and encounter an agent of death. Shan is a pseudonym of Darren OShaughnessy.
Tunnels of Blood: The Saga of Darren Shan: Book 3 Darren Shan (Collins 0-00-675514-3, Nov 2000, £3.99, 162pp, tp) [Darren Shan] Young-adult horror novel. Shan is a pseudonym of Darren OShaughnessy.
The Vampires Assistant: The Saga of Darren Shan: Book 2 Darren Shan (Collins 0-00-675513-5, Jun 2000, £3.99, 168pp, tp) [Darren Shan] Young-adult horror novel. Shan, newly become half-vampire, travels with the Cirque du Freak towards an encounter with the wolfman. Shan is a pseudonym of Darren OShaughnessy.
Orbitsville Bob Shaw (Orion/Gollancz 0-575-07098-6, May 2000, £9.99, 187pp, tp) [Orbitsville] Reprint (Gollancz 1975) epic SF novel. First in a trilogy about a Dyson sphere. Winner of the British SF Award, 1976. An SF Collectors Edition.
A Wreath of Stars Bob Shaw (Orion/Gollancz 0-575-07147-8, Dec 2000, £9.99, 189pp, tp) Reprint (Gollancz 1976) SF novel of an anti-neutrino star intersecting with Earth. An SF Collectors Edition.
J.R.R. Tolkien: Author of the Century T. A. Shippey (HarperCollins UK 0-261-10400-4, Sep 2000, £16.99, xxxv+347pp, hc) Critical work re-examining the importance and intent of Tolkiens work, from his lightweight folktales to those seemingly disaparate texts - The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings and The Silmarillion - which all (says Shippey) ask fundamental questions about myth, language, and good and evil. [J. R. R. Tolkien]
The Map of Tolkiens Beleriand and the Lands to the North Brian Sibley & John Howe (HarperCollins UK 0-261-10372-5, Aug 99, £5.99, unpaginated, tp, cover by John Howe) Non-fiction, art. A map (the third of three) plus an illustrated booklet by Sibley examining the history of The Silmarillion. [J. R. R. Tolkien]
The Dragon-Charmer Jan Siegel (HarperCollins/Voyager 0-00-225837-4, Nov 2000, £16.99, 346pp, hc, cover by John Howe) [Way of the Witch] Fantasy novel. a sequel to Prosperos Children. A trade paperback edition (-225838-2, £11.99) was announced but not seen.
Prosperos Children Jan Siegel (HarperCollins/Voyager 0-00-651280-1, Sep 2000, £6.99, xviii+331pp, pb, cover by Alan Lee) [Way of the Witch] Reprint (Voyager 1999) fantasy novel.
The Collected Stories of Robert Silverberg: Volume Six: Lion Time in Timbuctoo Robert Silverberg (HarperCollins/Voyager 0-00-651220-8, Mar 2000, £6.99, 390pp, tp) Collection of 13 stories written between 1989 and 1995, with anecdotal introductions to each, and an overall Introduction by Silverberg.
- 1 · Introduction · Robert Silverberg · in
- 5 · Lion Time in Timbuctoo [Gate of Worlds] · Robert Silverberg · na Axolotl Press: Eugene, OR, 1990
- 77 · A Tip on a Turtle · Robert Silverberg · nv Amazing May 91
- 103 · In the Clone Zone [The Clone Zone] · Robert Silverberg · nv Playboy Mar 91
- 128 · Hunters in the Forest · Robert Silverberg · ss Omni Oct 91
- 144 · A Long Nights Vigil at the Temple · Robert Silverberg · nv After the King, ed. Martin H. Greenberg, Tor, 1992
- 173 · It Comes and Goes · Robert Silverberg · ss Playboy Jan 92; restored
- 193 · Looking for the Fountain · Robert Silverberg · nv IASFM May 92
- 217 · The Way to Spook City · Robert Silverberg · na Playboy Aug 92
- 273 · The Red Blaze is the Morning · Robert Silverberg · nv New Legends, ed. Greg Bear & Martin H. Greenberg, Legend, 1995
- 299 · Death Do Us Part · Robert Silverberg · nv Omni Online Dec 96
- 321 · The Martian Invasion Journals of Henry James · Robert Silverberg · nv Omni Online May 96
- 345 · Crossing Into the Empire · Robert Silverberg · nv David Copperfields Beyond Imagination, ed. David Copperfield, Janet Berliner & Martin H. Greenberg, HarperPrism, 1996
- 372 · The Second Shield · Robert Silverberg · ss Playboy Dec 95
Majipoor Chronicles Robert Silverberg (HarperCollins/Voyager 0-00-648379-8, May 2000, £5.99, 385pp, pb, cover by Jim Burns) [Majipoor] Reprint (Arbor House 1982) SF collection/mosaic novel in the Majipoor series.
Thorns Robert Silverberg (Orion/Gollancz 0-575-07146-X, Dec 2000, £9.99, 222pp, tp) Reprint (Ballantine 1967) SF novel of an emotional vampire who feeds on pain. An SF Collectors Edition.
Tower of Glass Robert Silverberg (Orion/Gollancz 0-575-07097-8, Apr 2000, £9.99, 206pp, tp, cover by Sue Michniewicz) Reprint (Scribners 1970) SF novel of android emancipation and a tower to touch the stars. An SF Collectors Edition.
Valentine Pontifex Robert Silverberg (HarperCollins/Voyager 0-00-648378-X, Jan 2000 [Dec 99], £6.99, 347pp, pb, cover by Jim Burns) [Majipoor] Reprint (Arbor House 1983) SF novel in the Majipoor cycle.
Far Horizons ed. Robert Silverberg (Little, Brown/Orbit 1-85723-968-7, Jul 2000, £7.99, 689pp, pb, cover by Fred Gambino) Reprint (Avon Eos 1999) original anthology of 11 SF novellas with authors writing in their best-known worlds.
Legends ed. Robert Silverberg (HarperCollins/Voyager 0-00-648393-3, Apr 2000, £6.99, xiv+380pp, pb) Reprint (Tor; Voyager 1998 as half of Legends) collection of original stories by King, Goodkind, Card, Silverberg, Le Guin, and Feist. This second half of the hardback original bears exactly the same title as the first half. A special overseas edition (same details) was issued in 1999.
Legends  ed. Robert Silverberg (HarperCollins/Voyager 0-00-648394-1, Nov 99, £5.99, xiv+352pp, pb, cover by Josh Kirby) Reprint (Tor; Voyager 1998 as half of Legends) original fantasy anthology of works by Terry Pratchett, Anne McCaffrey, George R.R. Martin, Tad Williams, and Jordan.
Way Station Clifford D. Simak (Orion/Gollancz 0-575-07138-9, Oct 2000, £9.99, 189pp, tp) Reprint (Doubleday 1963) Hugo-winning classic SF novel of immortal loneliness. An SF Collectors Edition.
In the Mirror Sarah Singleton (Enigmatic Press, Jul 99, £4.00, 60pp, ph, cover by Gerald Gaubert) Chapbook dark fantasy novella. Illustrated by Gerald Gaubert. This has ISSN 1464-1461; it was published in 1999, but not seen until now. Enigmatic press, 1 Gibbs Field, Bishops Stortford, Herts CM23 4EY England; www.epress.force9.co.uk
The Reproductive System John Sladek (Orion/Gollancz 0-575-07116-8, Jul 2000, £9.99, 192pp, tp) Reprint (Gollancz 1968) satirical SF novel, once published as Mechasm in the US (Ace 1969). Self-replicating mechanisms multiply uncontrollably in a small town. An SF Collectors Edition.
Wokens Eye William Smethurst (Hodder Headline 0-7472-6147-4, Sep 2000, £6.99, 470pp, pb) Reprint (Headline 1999) fantasy novel.
Norstrilia Cordwainer Smith (Orion/Gollancz 0-575-07018-8, Jun 2000, £9.99, 277pp, tp) [Instrumentality of Mankind] Reprint (Del Rey 1975) SF novel in the Instrumentality series, with an afterword by J.J. Pierce. An SF Collectors Edition.
What You Make It Michael Marshall Smith (HarperCollins UK 0-00-651007-8, Jan 2000 [Dec 99], £6.99, xiv+400pp, pb) Reprint (HarperCollins UK 1999) collection of 17 stories and one poem, including several originals.
Jules Verne: Narratives of Modernity ed. Edmund J. Smyth (Liverpool University Press 0-85323-704-2, Mar 2000, £16.95, viii+160pp, tp) Anthology of essays on Vernes fiction, its context, content, intent, influences, and importance to the history of SF. None of the extensively quoted French texts are translated into English. A hardcover edition (-694-1, £32.50) was announced but not seen. [Jules Verne]
- vii · List of Contributors · Misc. · ms
- 1 · Verne, SF, and Modernity: an Introduction · Edmund J. Smyth · in
- 11 · Jules Verne and the French Literary Canon · Arthur B. Evans · ar
- 40 · Jules Verne and the Limitations of Literature · Daniel Compère · ar
- 46 · The Fiction of Science, or the Science of Fiction · Timothy Unwin · ar
- 60 · LIci-bas and lAu-delà...but Not as they Knew it. Realism, Utopianism and Science Fiction in the Novels of Jules Verne · Sarah Capitanio · ar
- 78 · A Hitchhikers Guide to Paris: Paris au XXe siècle · David Platten · ar
- 94 · Future Past: Myth, Inversion and Regression in Vernes Underground Utopia · David Meakin · ar
- 109 · Measurement and Mystery in Verne · Trevor Harris · ar
- 122 · The Science is Fiction: Jules Verne, Raymond Roussel, and Surrealism · Terry Hale & Andrew Hugill · ar
- 142 · Mysterious Masterpiece · William Butcher · ar
Year Zero Brian Stableford (Sarob Press 1-902309-10-3, Jun 2000, £22.50, 221pp, hc, cover by Tim Denton) Satirical millennial fantasy novel. Mollys determination to get a fresh start in 2000 leads her to a rejuvenated Elvis, angels, demons, fays, and alien greys. Illustrated by Tim Denton. This is a limited edition of 300. Available from 41 Forest View, Mountain Ash, Wales CF45 3DU UK.
Star Wars: The New Jedi Order: Dark Tide: Onslaught Michael A. Stackpole (Random House UK/Arrow 0-09-940993-3, Feb 2000, £5.99, 292pp, pb, cover by John Harris) [Star Wars: New Jedi Order: Dark Tide] Reprint (Del Rey Lucasbooks 2000) SF novelization. [First U.K. edition]