Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 2001
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
The Wind Singer William Nicholson (Mammoth 0-7497-4471-5, May 2001, £5.99, 341pp, tp, cover by David Scutt) [Wind on Fire] Reprint (Mammoth 2000) young-adult fantasy novel. Volume one of The Wind on Fire. A young girl and her twin brother seek the source of the evil that grips the city of Aramanth. Winner of the Smarties Gold Prize Award. The original edition was not seen.
Ringworld Larry Niven (Orion/Gollancz 0-575-07339-X, Oct 2001, £14.99, 288pp, hc, cover by Barclay Shaw) [Ringworld] Reprint (Ballantine 1970) classic world-creation novel. Winner of the Hugo and Nebula Award. Volume VIII in the SF Masterworks hardcover series.
The Burning City Larry Niven & Jerry E. Pournelle (Little, Brown/Orbit 1-84149-028-8, Jan 2001, £7.99, vi+678pp, pb, cover by David Wyatt) [Mana; Burning City] Reprint (Pocket 2000) fantasy novel. First in a new series.
Needle in the Groove Jeff Noon (Transworld/Black Swan 0-552-99919-9, May 2001, £6.99, 287pp, tp) Reprint (Anchor UK 2000) avant-(re)gard mainstream novel set across the pop music culture from the 50s to now.
Bedknobs and Broomsticks Mary Norton (Orion/Dolphin 1-84255-072-1, Sep 2001, £4.99, 190pp, tp) Reissue (J.M. Dent 1957 as Bedknob and Broomstick) young-adult fantasy omnibus of The Magick Bed-knob (Hyperion Press 1945) and Bonfires and Broomsticks (J.M. Dent 1947).
- 9 · The Magick Bed-knob · n. Hyperion Press, 1945
- 99 · Bonfires and Broomsticks · n. London: J.M. Dent, 1947
The Third Policeman Flann OBrien (HarperCollins/Flamingo 0-00-711521-0, Apr 2001, £4.99, 229pp, pb) Reprint (MacGibbon & Kee 1967) satirical literary fantasy novel of a murderers circular journey through a strange, familiar land. OBrien was a pseudonym of Brian ONolan. A Flamingo Sixties Classic.
Winning Tales of the Supernatural ed. Joyce Booth OBrien (Chatelaine Studio 0-9538935-0-2, Dec 2000, no price, 99pp, spiral-bound, cover by Joyce Booth OBrien) Original anthology of 11 supernatural stories. Curiously these are labelled as prize-winning stories, although there is no hint of what prize they are supposed to have won.
The Raven Waits June Oldham (Hodder Silver 0-340-79211-6, Jan 2001, £4.99, 170pp, pb, cover by Les Edwards) Young-adult fantasy adaptation of Beowulf.
Doctor Who: The Year of Intelligent Tigers Kate Orman (BBC Books 0-563-53831-7, Jun 2001, £5.99, 274pp, pb) [Doctor Who: New Adventures] Novelization based on the TV series. Book 46 of the BBC New Adventures series.
Shadow K. J. Parker (Little, Brown/Orbit 1-84149-019-9, Jun 2001, £10.99, 572pp, tp, cover by David Wyatt) [Scavenger Trilogy] Fantasy novel, first in The Scavenger Trilogy. A man with amnesia pretends to be a god to gain food and shelter, always pursued by fragmented, ominous dreams.
Doctor Who: Father Time Lance Parkin (BBC Books 0-563-53810-4, Jan 2001, £5.99, 281pp, pb) [Doctor Who: New Adventures] Novelization based on the TV series. Book 41 of the BBC New Adventures series.
Learning from Other Worlds: Estrangement, Cognition, and the Politics of Science Fiction and Utopia ed. Patrick Parrinder (Liverpool University Press 0-85323-584-8, Nov 2000, £16.95, viii+312pp, tp, cover by Helmut K. Wimmer) Critical non-fiction anthology of 11 essays on SF and Utopias, focusing on Theory and Politics and Social, Cultural and Philosophical Contexts. Authors include Gérard Klein, David Ketterer, and Marleen S. Barr. Introduction by Parrinder; afterword by Darko Suvin, who also provided a checklist of his critical works on the topic. A hardcover edition (-574-0, £35.00) was announced but not seen.
- 1 · Introduction: Learning from Other Worlds · Patrick Parrinder · ar *
- · Part One: Science Fiction and Utopia: Theory and Politics
- 19 · Before the Novum: The Prehistory of Science Fiction Criticism · Edward James · ar *
- 36 · Revisiting Suvins Poetics of Science Fiction · Patrick Parrinder · ar *
- 51 · Look into the dark: On Dystopia and the Novum · Tom Moylan · ar *
- 72 · Science Fiction and Utopia: A Historico-Philosophical Overview · Carl Freedman · ar *
- 98 · Society after the Revolution: The Blueprints for the Forthcoming Socialist Society published by the Leaders of the Second International · Marc Angenot · ar *
- · Part Two: Science fiction in its Social, Cultural and Philosophical Contexts
- 119 · From the Images of Science to Science Fiction · Gérard Klein · ar *
- 127 · Estranged Invaders: The War of the Worlds · Peter Fitting · ar *
- 146 · A part of the ... family [?]: John Wyndhams The Midwich Cuckoos as Estranged Autobiography · David Ketterer · ar *
- 178 · Labyrinth, Double and Mask in the Science Fiction of Stanislaw Lem · Rafail Nudelman · ar *
- 193 · Were at the start of a new ball game and thats why were all real nervous: Or, Cloning - Technological Cognition Reflects Estrangement from Women · Marleen S. Barr · ar *
- 208 · If I find one good city I will spare the man: Realism and Utopia in Kim Stanley Robinsons Mars Trilogy · Fredric Jameson · ar *
- 233 · Afterword: With Sober, Estranged Eyes · Darko Suvin · ar *
- 272 · Darko Suvin: Checklist of Printed Items that Concern Science Fiction (with Utopian Fiction or Utopianism, and a few Bordering Items) · Misc. · bi *
- 291 · Bibliography · Misc. · bi
Decipher Stel Pavlou (Simon & Schuster UK 0-7432-0857-9, May 2001, £12.99, 616pp, hc) SF novel. In 2012 Atlantis begins to wake, responding to its ancient commands. A first novel.
Letters from a Lost Uncle (From Polar Regions) Mervyn Peake (Methuen 0-413-74590-2, Sep 2001, £12.99, 125pp, hc, cover by The Senate) Reprint (Eyre & Spottiswoode 1948) fantasy novel, written in letter form, and illustrated throughout by Peake.
Owl Light Maggie Pearson (Hodder Silver 0-340-79660-X, Apr 2001, £4.99, 243pp, tp, cover by Fred Preston) [Owl Light] Reprint (Hodder Childrens Books 1996) young-adult fantasy novel. First in a series.
Nasty Endings 1 ed. Dennis Pepper (Oxford University Press 0-19-275117-4, 2001, £4.99, 151pp, tp, cover by Paul B. Davies) Reprint (Oxford University Press 1997 as part of The Young Oxford Book of Nasty Endings) young-adult anthology of dark fantasy stories; it collects roughly half the original, and adds three extra stories.
- · The Interlopers · Saki · ss The Bystander Jan 17 12
- · One Summer Night · Ambrose Bierce · vi Cosmopolitan Mar 06
- · The Hour and the Man · Robert Barr · ss The English Illustrated Magazine Aug, 1894
Nasty Endings 2 ed. Dennis Pepper (Oxford University Press 0-19-275143-3, 2001, £4.99, 153pp, tp, cover by Paul B. Davies) Reprint (Oxford University Press 1997 as part of The Young Oxford Book of Nasty Endings) young-adult anthology of dark fantasy stories; it collects roughly half the original, and adds three extra stories.
- · The Middle Toe of the Right Foot · Ambrose Bierce · ss San Francisco Examiner Aug 17, 1890
- · An Alpine Divorce · Robert Barr · ss The English Illustrated Magazine Oct, 1893
- · The Ghost of the Blue Chamber · Jerome K. Jerome · ss Told After Supper, Leadenhall Press, 1891
The Young Oxford Book of Aliens ed. Dennis Pepper (Oxford University Press 0-19-278177-4, 2000, £6.99, 212pp, tp, cover by John Walker) Reprint (Oxford University Press 1998) young-adult SF anthology of 22 stories, three original. Published in 2000, but not seen until now.
The Young Oxford Book of Christmas Stories ed. Dennis Pepper (Oxford University Press 0-19-278169-3, Nov 2001, £7.99, viii+151pp, tp) Young-adult anthology of 18 SF/fantasy/mainstream stories, four original. A hardcover edition (-278168-5, £12.99) was announced but not seen.
- vii · Introduction · Dennis Pepper · in *
- 1 · The Imperturbable Tucker · A. M. Burrage · ss The Passing Show Christmas 24
- 7 · Many Happy Returns · Katherine Paterson · ss Star of Night: Stories for Christmas, Gollancz, 1980
- 18 · The Night Is Freezing Fast · Thomas F. Monteleone · ss Masques #2, ed. J. N. Williamson, 1987
- 28 · Night in Paris · Patrice Chaplin · ss Womans Hour Book of Short Stories 2, ed. Pat McLoughlin, BBC Books, 1992
- 35 · Swiftbucks Christmas Carol · Francis Beckett · ss *
- 45 · Josefs Carol · Alison Prince · ss A Haunting Refrain, London: Methuen, 1988
- 57 · Marys Story · Margrit Cruickshank · ss Chiller, ed. Anon., Poolbeg Press, 1995
- 65 · The Adventuress · Frank OConnor · ss The Cornet Player who Betrayed Ireland, Poolbeg Press, 1981
- 74 · The Kissing Gate · John Gordon · ss *
- 85 · The Carol Singer · Chris Naylor · vi Enigmatic Tales #3 98
- 87 · The Ghost of Christmas Shopping · Lesley Howarth · ss Quirx 1: Welcome to Inner Space, Hodder Childrens Books, 1997
- 101 · Not Wanting the Blue Cracker · Dennis Hamley · ss *
- 109 · The Nativity Bell and the Falconer · George Mackay Brown · ss The Masked Fisherman and Other Stories, John Murray, 1989
- 115 · The Star [Star of Bethlehem] · Arthur C. Clarke · ss Infinity Science Fiction Nov 55
- 123 · Some Other Star · Gerald Kersh · ss Star Dec 23 40
- 127 · The Hollies and the Ivy · Elizabeth Walter · ss Dead Woman, London: Collins and Harvill Press, 1975
- 138 · A Christmas Tale · John Pudney · ss It Breathed Down My Neck, London: John Lane, 1946
- 145 · A Very Merry Christmas · Morley Callaghan · ss, 1964; Original in Stories 2 (Macgibbon & Kee, 1964).
The Young Oxford Book of Timewarp Stories ed. Dennis Pepper (Oxford University Press 0-19-278167-7, Nov 2001, £7.99, viii+215pp, tp) Young-adult anthology of 21 stories, three original. Authors include Poul Anderson, Jack Finney, Ray Bradbury, and Fredric Brown. A hardcover edition was announced but not seen.
- vii · Introduction · Dennis Pepper · in, 2001
- 1 · My Object All Sublime · Poul Anderson · ss Galaxy Jun 61
- 11 · They Live Forever · Lloyd Biggle, Jr. · ss Satellite Mar 59
- 19 · Timestorm · Steve Bowkett · ss *
- 31 · A Sound of Thunder · Ray Bradbury · ss Colliers Jun 28 52
- 45 · Vengeance Fleet [Vengeance, Unlimited] · Fredric Brown · vi Super Science Stories Jul 50
- 48 · All the Time in the World · Arthur C. Clarke · ss Startling Stories Jul 52
- A061 · ...And Three to Go · Ken Cowley · ss Miscellany Macabre: Tales of the Unknown, British Fantasy Society, 1999
- 71 · Room 409 · Nance Donkin · ss A Handful of Ghosts, ed. Barbara Ker Wilson, Sydney (Australia): Knight Books, 1976
- 80 · The Love Letter · Jack Finney · ss The Saturday Evening Post Aug 1 59
- 94 · If [Praiseworthy Saur] · Harry Harrison · ss If Feb 69
- 101 · Time Shift · Kenneth Ireland · ss *
- 109 · The Brighton Monster [The Monster] · Gerald Kersh · ss The Saturday Evening Post Feb 21 48
- 123 · Lets Go to Golgotha! · Garry Kilworth · ss Sunday Times Weekly Review Dec 15 74
- 136 · What Time Is It? · Rita Lamb · ss *
- 139 · The Silver Box · Louise Lawrence · nv A Quiver of Ghosts, ed. Aidan Chambers, Bodley Head, 1987
- 159 · The Picnic · Penelope Lively · ss Young Winters Tales 6, ed. M. R. Hodgkin, London: Macmillan, 1975
- 173 · The Man from When · Dannie Plachta · vi If Jul 66
- 175 · Fire, Fire · Alison Prince · ss A Haunting Refrain, London: Methuen, 1988
- 186 · Master Ghost and I · Barbara Softly · ss Haunting Tales, ed. Barbara Ireson, London: Faber, 1973
- 205 · The Doctor · Ted Thomas · ss Orbit 2, ed. Damon Knight, Berkley Medallion, 1967
- 214 · The Choice · Wayland Hilton-Young · vi Punch Mar 19 52
- 215 · Acknowledgements · Misc. · ms
Nightshade: 20th Century Ghost Stories ed. Robert Phillips (Robinson 1-84119-418-2, Oct 2001, £9.99, 464pp, tp, cover by Ashley Pearce) Reprint (Carroll & Graf 1999) anthology of 27 ghost stories by noted literary authors. Copyrighted 1999, 2000, 2001, suggesting minor changes or revisions. [First U.K. edition]
The Circle Opens 1: Magic Steps Tamora Pierce (Scholastic/Point UK 0-439-99260-5, Aug 2001, £4.99, 250pp, pb, cover by Anne Sharp) [Circle Opens] Reprint (Scholastic Press 2000) young-adult fantasy novel, first in a new series sequel to The Circle of Magic. Sandry has to teach the new young mage she discovers. [First U.K. edition]
Protector of the Small 3: Squire Tamora Pierce (Scholastic Press UK 0-439-01319-4, Aug 2001, £5.99, 389pp, tp) [Keladry] Reprint (Random House 2001) young-adult fantasy adventure novel. Third in a Tortall quartet following The Song of the Lioness and The Immortals. Keladrys service as a squire is complicated by a baby griffin, the arrival of a foreign princess, and a hint of romance. [First U.K. edition]
Protector of the Small: 1: First Test Tamora Pierce (Scholastic UK 0-439-01276-7, Aug 2001, £5.99, 213pp, tp) [Keladry] Reprint (Random House 1999) young-adult fantasy adventure novel. First in a new Tortall quartet following The Song of the Lioness and The Immortals.
Protector of the Small: 2: Page Tamora Pierce (Scholastic UK 0-439-01307-0, Aug 2001, £5.99, 252pp, tp) [Keladry] Reprint (Random House 2000) young-adult fantasy adventure novel. Second in the new Tortall quartet following The Song of the Lioness and The Immortals.
Jem Frederik Pohl (Orion/Gollancz 1-85798-789-6, May 2001, £6.99, 300pp, tp, cover by Chris Moore) Reprint (St. Martins 1979) SF novel of cynical planetary colonisation. Volume 41 in the SF Masterworks series.
The Art of Richard Powers Richard Powers & Jane Frank (Paper Tiger 1-85585-890-8, May 2001, £20.00, 128pp, hc, cover by Richard Powers) Art book, a lavishly illustrated biography-critique, presenting Powerss work from the 1950s until his death in the 1990s. There is a foreword by Vincent Di Fate, a biography by Powers son, a critical article by Frank; a previously-unpublished interview with Powers, and a checklist of more than 1000 book covers.
The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents Terry Pratchett (Transworld/Doubleday UK 0-385-60123-9, Nov 2001, £12.99, 270pp, hc, cover by David Wyatt) [Discworld] Humorous young-adult fantasy novel. Volume 28 in the Discworld series. Intelligent rats and a cat con towns with the plague-of-rats scam until they reach Bad Blintz, where cellars are plagued by evil, not rats.
The Rincewind Trilogy Terry Pratchett (Orion/Gollancz 0-575-07236-9, May 2001, £16.99, 568pp, hc, cover by Josh Kirby) [Discworld] Humorous fantasy omnibus of three Discworld books featuring the wizard Rincewind: Sourcery (1988), Eric (1990), and Interesting Times (1994).
- 1 · Sourcery · n. London: Gollancz, 1988
- 211 · Eric · n. London: Gollancz, 1990; The title still has Faust crossed out, and Eric inserted.
- 307 · Interesting Times · n. London: Gollancz, 1994
Thief of Time Terry Pratchett (Doubleday UK 0-385-60188-3, May 2001, £16.99, 316pp, hc, cover by Josh Kirby) [Discworld] Humorous fantasy novel. Volume 26 in the Discworld series. The first fully accurate clock threatens to end the world.
The Truth Terry Pratchett (Transworld/Corgi 0-552-14768-0, Nov 2001, £5.99, 444pp, pb, cover by Josh Kirby) [Discworld] Reprint (HarperCollins; Doubleday UK 2000) humorous fantasy novel. Volume 25 in the Discworld series.
Discworld Thieves Guild Yearbook and Diary 2002 Terry Pratchett & Stephen Briggs (Orion/Gollancz 0-575-07104-4, Sep 2001, £10.99, 128pp, hc, cover by Paul Kidby) [Discworld] Humorous art book in the form of a Discworld book issued to member of the official Ankh-Morpork Thieves Guild. Illustrated by Paul Kidby.
Nanny Oggs Cookbook Terry Pratchett, Stephen Briggs & Tina Hannan (Transworld/Corgi 0-552-14673-0, Nov 2001, £7.99, 176pp, tp) [Discworld] Reprint (Doubleday UK 1999) humorous Discworld item.
The Last Hero Terry Pratchett & Paul Kidby (Orion/Gollancz 0-575-06885-X, Oct 2001, £17.99, 160pp, hc, cover by Paul Kidby) [Discworld] Humorous fantasy novel illustrated by Kidby. Volume 27 in the Discworld series. Cohen the Barbarians plan to return fire to the gods could destroy the Discworld. Simultaneous with the US (HarperCollins) edition. A deluxe edition (-07370-5, £25.00) was announced but not seen.
The Well of the Unicorn Fletcher Pratt (Orion/Gollancz 0-575-07267-9, Nov 2001, £6.99, xii+338pp, tp, cover by Paul Gregory) Reprint (Sloane 1948 as by George U. Fletcher) classic fantasy novel. An Authors Note explains the novel is set after the events in Lord Dunsanys tale, King Argimenes and the Unknown Warrior. Volume 23 in the Fantasy Masterworks series.
Hauntings Susan Price (Hodder Childrens Books 0-340-62655-0, Jun 2001, £4.99, 173pp, tp) Reissue (Hodder Childrens Books 1995) young-adult collection of ten original fantasy and ghost stories. Seventh printing. A Signature title.
- 7 · Gosling · nv *
- 29 · Ernes Wood · ss *
- 45 · Davie · ss *
- 61 · Gene Genie · ss *
- 71 · The Landing Window · ss *
- 91 · The Dreamer · ss *
- 103 · Hiders Can Find · nv *
- 125 · Emilys Ghost · ss *
- 135 · The Wiz · ss *
- 153 · Coming Home Late · ss *
Nightcomers Susan Price (Hodder Signature 0-340-65605-0, Oct 2001, £5.99, 154pp, tp, cover by Graham Bence) Reprint (Hodder Childrens Books 1997) young-adult collection of nine original ghost stories. Seventh printing.
The Wolf-Sisters Susan Price (Hodder Silver 0-340-80544-7, Oct 2001, £4.99, 166pp, tp, cover by Sandy Gardner) Historical fantasy novel. A Saxon man becomes involved with three shape-changing sisters.
Pulling the Plug on the Universe Maggie Prince (Orion/Dolphin 1-85881-270-4, Dec 2000, £4.99, 169pp, pb, cover by blacksheep) [Memoirs of a Dangerous Alien] Reprint (Orion Childrens Books 1995) young-adult SF novel. Second in a series after Memoirs of a Dangerous Alien.
The Ant-Men of Tibet, and Other Stories ed. David Pringle (Big Engine 1-903468-02-7, Jul 2001, £7.99, x+255pp, tp, cover by SMS) SF/fantasy anthology of 10 stories from Interzone, including Baxters eponymous sequel to The First Men in the Moon.
The Amber Spyglass Philip Pullman (Scholastic Press UK 0-439-99414-4, Sep 2001, £7.99, 550pp, tp, cover by Nicholas Roerich) [His Dark Materials] Reprint (Knopf 2000 as His Dark Materials III: The Amber Spyglass) young-adult fantasy novel.
The Amber Spyglass Philip Pullman (Scholastic/Point UK 0-439-99358-X, Sep 2001, £6.99, 350pp, tp, cover by David Scutt & Philip Pullman) [His Dark Materials] Reprint (Knopf 2000 as His Dark Materials III: The Amber Spyglass) young-adult fantasy novel.