! Copyright (c) 2005 by William G. Contento >
Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 2005
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
Outsiders: 22 All-New Stories from the Edge ed. Nancy Holder & Nancy Kilpatrick (Penguin/Roc 0-451-46044-8, Oct 2005, $14.95, 336 + xii, tp, cover by Cliff Nielsen) Original anthology of 21 horror stories and a poem by Neil Gaiman. Authors include Jack Ketchum, Tanith Lee, and John Shirley.
The Hollowing Robert Holdstock (Tor/Orb 0-765-31110-0, May 2005, $14.95, 333pp, tp, cover by Larry Rostant) [Mythago] Reprint (HarperCollins UK 1993) fantasy novel set in the world of Mythago Wood.
The Serpent Dreamer Cecelia Holland (Tor/Forge 0-765-30557-7, Dec 2005, $24.95, 335pp, hc, cover by Glenn Harrington) [Soul Thief] Historical fantasy novel of Vikings in the New World, third in the series begun in The Soul Thief.
The War of the Worlds ed. Brian Holmsten & Alex Lubertozzi (Sourcebooks 1-57071-985-3, Jul 2005, $19.95, 265 + xx, tp) Reprint (Sourcebooks 2001 as The Complete War of the Worlds: Mars Invasion of Earth from H.G. Wells to Orson Welles) anthology of H.G. Wellss novel (Heinemann 1898), the Orson Welles radio broadcast script, plus discussion of Mars in popular culture. Foreword by Ray Bradbury and afterword by Ben Bova. This includes an audio CD. Sourcebooks, 1935 Brookdale Road, Suite 139, Naperville IL 60563; 630-961-3900; [www.sourcebooks.com].
Fishy Wishes Tom Holt (Trafalgar Square/Orbit 1-84149-347-3, May 2005, $13.95, 646pp, tp, cover by Bella Pagan) Omnibus of two humorous fantasy novels: Wish You Were Here (1998) and Djinn Rummy (1995). This first US edition (Orbit 10/04) is actually the Orbit edition with stickers. Distributed in the US by Trafalgar Square, PO Box 257, Howe Hill Road, North Pomfret VT 05053; 800-423-4525; [www.trafalgarsquarebooks.com].
In Your Dreams Tom Holt (Trafalgar Square/Orbit 1-84149-159-4, Jan 2005, $22.99, 474pp, hc, cover by Tamsyn Berryman) [Paul Carpenter] Humorous fantasy novel, sequel to The Portable Door. Paul Carpenter discovers his job includes some seriously dangerous pest control. This first US edition (Orbit 6/04) is the UK edition with stickers, distributed in the US by Trafalgar Square, Box 257, Howe Hill Road, North Pomfret VT 05053; 800-423-4525; [www.trafalgarsquarebooks.com].
Saints and Sinners Tom Holt (Trafalgar Square/Orbit 1-84149-346-5, Mar 2005, $13.95, 628pp, tp, cover by Bella Pagan) Omnibus of two humorous fantasy novels: Paint Your Dragon (1996) and Open Sesame (1997). This first US edition (Orbit 9/04) is actually the Orbit edition with stickers. Distributed in the US by Trafalgar Square, PO Box 257, Howe Hill Road, North Pomfret VT 05053; 800-423-4525; [www.trafalgarsquarebooks.com].
The Trial of Tompa Lee Edward Hoornaert (Gale Group/Five Star 1-59414-326-9, Oct 2005, $25.95, 374pp, hc, cover by Alan M. Clark) SF novel. Packaged and edited by Martin H. Greenberg & Ed Gorman. Five Star, 295 Kennedy Memorial Drive, Waterville ME 04901; 800-223-1244; [www.galegroup.com/fivestar].
Fevreblau Kenneth Mark Hoover (Gale Group/Five Star 1-59414-361-7, Dec 2005, $25.95, 301pp, hc, cover by Thorsten Grambow) SF novel. A virus has wiped out most of the women on Earth, and those who remain are imprisoned. Packaged and edited by Martin H. Greenberg & Ed Gorman. Five Star, 295 Kennedy Memorial Dr., Waterville ME 04901; 800-223-1244; [www.galegroup.com/fivestar].
Giants of the Past: Popular Fictions and the Idea of Evolution Lisa Hopkins (Bucknell University Press 0-8387-5576-3, Jul 2004, $42.50, 201pp, hc) Non-fiction, a critical look at the use of evolution in fiction, with major focus on works by H. Rider Haggard, John Buchan, Bram Stoker, and H.G. Wells, plus Steven Spielbergs Jurassic Park movies. Includes notes and index. This is dated 2004, but not seen until now. Order from Associated University Presses, 2010 Eastpark Blvd., Cranbury NJ 08512; [AUP440@aol.com].
Tesseracts Nine ed. Nalo Hopkinson & Geoff Ryman (Edge Science Fiction and Fantasy 1-894063-26-0, Jun 2005, $16.95, 391pp, tp, cover by Colleen McDonald) Original anthology of 20 stories, three linked excerpts/vignettes, and two poems by Canadian writers. Authors include Yves Meynard, Candas Jane Dorsey, Elisabeth Vonarburg, and Nancy Kilpatrick. Foreword by Ryman; afterword by Hopkinson. Edge Science Fiction and Fantasy Publishing, PO Box 1714, Calgary AB T2P 2L7, Canada; [www.edgewebsite.com].
Ravens Gate Anthony Horowitz (Scholastic Press 0-439-67995-8, Jun 2005, $17.95, 254pp, hc) [Gatekeepers] Young-adult horror novel, first in The Gatekeepers series.
H.P. Lovecraft: Against the World, Against Life Michel Houellebecq (McSweeneys/Believer Books 1-932-41618-8, May 2005, $18.00, 245pp, tp) Non-fiction, a critical essay on Lovecraft, translated by Dorna Khazeni from the French H.P. Lovecraft: Contre le monde, contre la vie (Editions du Rocher 1991). This also includes two stories by HPL, a brief bibliography of his literature available in French, Houellebecqs preface to the second French edition, a chronology, and translators notes. Introduction by Stephen King. [H. P. Lovecraft]
Rough Magic John William Houghton (Unlimited Publishing 1-58832-124-X, May 2005, $19.99, 411pp, tp) Occult thriller set in a military academy. A print-on-demand book available online at [www.unlimitedpublishing.com], or from Unlimited Publishing, PO Box 3007, Bloomington IN 47402.
The Dream Merchant Isabel Hoving (Candlewick Press 0-7636-2880-8, Nov 2005, $17.99, 630pp, hc) Young-adult fantasy novel. A boy is recruited by a powerful corporation to help them conquer the past. Translated by Hester Velmans from the Dutch De gevleugelde kat (Querido 2002). Winner of the Netherlands Golden Kiss Award. First US edition (Walker UK 3/05).
Killing Time Linda Howard (Ballantine 0-345-45345-X, Jun 2005, $25.95, 330pp, hc, cover by Judy York) Time-travel thriller. Time capsule contributors are killed one by one 20 years later.
The Black Stranger and Other American Tales Robert E. Howard (University of Nebraska Press/Bison Books 0-8032-7353-3, Apr 2005, $17.95, 351 + xxii, tp, cover by Mike Mignola) Collection of 13 stories, a poem, and a plot synopsis, all supposedly set in America; one Conan novella is included, The Black Stranger, which features Native American-like Picts. Edited and with an introduction by Steven Tompkins. Part of The Works of Robert E. Howard series. A hardcover edition (-2421-4, $35.00) is also available.
- vii · Introduction · Steven Tompkins · in (*), 2005
- 1 · The Black Stranger [Conan] · na Echoes of Valor, ed. Karl Edward Wagner, Tor, 1987; Published in a different version in Fantasy Magazine, Feb-Mar 1953.
- 77 · Marchers of Valhalla [James Allison (past lives of)] · na Marchers of Valhalla, Donald M. Grant, 1972
- 110 · The Gods of Bal-Sagoth [Turlogh OBrien] · nv Weird Tales Oct 31
- 146 · Nekht Semerkeht · uw *
- 161 · Black Vulmeas Vengeance [Terence Vulmea] · na Golden Fleece Nov 38
- 203 · The Strange Case of Josiah Wilbarger [The Apparition of Josiah Wilbarger] · ar West Sep 67
- 207 · The Valley of the Lost [The Secret of Lost Valley] · nv Startling Mystery Stories Spr 67
- 227 · Kelly the Conjure-Man · ar The Howard Collector Sum 64
- 231 · Black Canaan · nv Weird Tales Jun 36
- 264 · Pigeons from Hell · nv Weird Tales May 38
- 293 · Old Garfields Heart · ss Weird Tales Dec 33
- 303 · The Horror from the Mound · ss Weird Tales May 32
- 320 · The Thunder-Rider · ss Marchers of Valhalla, Donald M. Grant, 1972
- 341 · The Classic Tale of the Southwest · ex; excerpts from letters to August Derleth and H.P. Lovecraft.
- 349 · The Grim Land · pm The Grim Land and Others, Stygian Isle Press, 1976
- 351 · Source Acknowledgements · Misc. · ms
The Bloody Crown of Conan Robert E. Howard (SFBC #1167999, Dec 2004, $12.99, 366pp, hc, cover by Gary Gianni) [Conan] Reprint (Wandering Star 2004 as Robert E. Howards Complete Conan of Cimmeria, Volume Two (1934)) omnibus/collection of three titles: novella The People of the Black Circle, novel The Hour of the Dragon (1950 as Conan the Conqueror) and novella A Witch Shall Be Born. Illustrated by Gary Gianni. This has ISBN 0-7394-4971-0; it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Boxing Stories Robert E. Howard (University of Nebraska Press/Bison Books 0-8032-7352-5, Apr 2005, $14.95, 313 + xvi, tp, cover by Gary Gianni) Associational collection of 16 stories and three poems. Edited and with an introduction by Chris Gruber. Part of The Works of Robert E. Howard series. A hardcover edition (-2423-0, $35.00) is also available.
- vii · Introduction · Chris Gruber · in (*), 2005
- 1 · In the Ring · pm Robert E. Howards Fight Magazine #4 96
- 3 · The Pit of the Serpent [Sailor Steve Costigan] · ss Fight Stories Jul 29
- 19 · The Bull Dog Breed [Sailor Steve Costigan] · ss Fight Stories Feb 30
- 35 · The Champion of the Forecastle [Sailor Steve Costigan] · ss Fight Stories Nov 30
- 49 · Waterfront Law [The TNT Punch; Sailor Steve Costigan] · ss Action Stories Jan 31
- 63 · Texas Fists [Sailor Steve Costigan] · ss Fight Stories May 31
- 82 · The Fightinest Pair [Breed of Battle; Sailor Steve Costigan] · ss Action Stories Nov 31
- 97 · Vikings of the Gloves [Sailor Steve Costigan] · ss Fight Stories Feb 32
- 115 · Cultured Cauliflowers [Sailor Steve Costigan] · ss *; previously revised as a Dennis Dorgan story under the title In High Society
- 130 · A New Game for Costigan [Sailor Steve Costigan] · ss *; previously revised as a Dennis Dorgan story under the title Playing Journalist
- 141 · Hard-Fisted Sentiment [Sailor Steve Costigan] · ss Robert E. Howards Fight Magazine #4 96
- 155 · When You Were a Set-Up and I Was a Ham · pm Robert E. Howards Fight Magazine #2 90
- 157 · The Spirit of Tom Molyneaux [The Apparition in the Prize Ring, by John Tavarel] · ss The Ghost Apr 29
- 169 · Crowd-Horror · ss Argosy All-Story Weekly Jul 20 29
- 187 · Iron Men · na *; originally published in an edited and truncated form in Fight Stories, June 1930, as The Iron Man
- 242 · Kid Galahad [Kid Allison] · ss Sport Story Magazine Dec 25 31
- 261 · Fists of the Desert [Iron-Jaw] · nv Dime Sports Magazine Apr 36
- 286 · They Always Come Back · nv The Iron Man, Donald M. Grant, 1976
- 308 · Kid Lavigne Is Dead · pm The Ring Jun 28
- 311 · Note on the Texts · Misc. · ms
Bran Mak Morn: The Last King Robert E. Howard (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-46154-1, Jun 2005, $15.95, 375 + xxiii, tp, cover by Gary Gianni) Collection of six sword & sorcery stories and one poem, plus miscellaneous notes, drafts, fragments, a play, a previously unpublished poem, two contemporary stories featuring Picts, and two chapters from an unfinished novel. Appendices look at Howards Pict stories. Illustrated by Gary Gianni. Introduction by Rusty Burke. First US edition (Wandering Star 2001; the color plates are reproduced here in b&w).
- xiii · Foreword · Gary Gianni · fw
- xv · Introduction · Rusty Burke · in
- 1 · Men of the Shadows [Bran Mak Morn] · nv Bran Mak Morn, Dell, 1969
- 31 · Kings of the Night [Bran Mak Morn; Kull] · nv Weird Tales Nov 30
- 77 · A Song of the Race [Bran Mak Morn] · pm Bran Mak Morn, Dell, 1969
- 83 · Worms of the Earth [Bran Mak Morn] · nv Weird Tales Nov 32
- 129 · The Dark Man [Turlogh OBrien] · nv Weird Tales Dec 31
- 167 · The Lost Race · ss Weird Tales Jan 27
- 187 · Poem [The Drums of Pictdom] · pm Bran Mak Morn, Dell, 1969
- · Miscellanea
- 193 · Notes on Miscellanea · Rusty Burke · ms
- 197 · The Little People · ss Coven 13 Jan 70
- 207 · The Little PeopleTypescript · ms Bran Mak Morn: The Last King, Wandering Star, 2001
- 215 · The Children of the Night · ss Weird Tales Apr/May 31
- 233 · Bran Mak Morn [Bran Mak Morn] · pl Bran Mak Morn: A Play, and Others, Cromlech, 1983
- 237 · Bran Mak MornManuscript · ms Bran Mak Morn: The Last King, Wandering Star, 2001
- 243 · Synopsis [Bran Mak Morn Synopsis] · uw Cromlech #3 88
- 247 · Worms of the EarthDraft · ms Bran Mak Morn: The Last King, Wandering Star, 2001
- 277 · Fragment · uw Bran Mak Morn, Dell, 1969
- 283 · Poem · pm Bran Mak Morn: The Last King, Wandering Star, 2001
- 288 · Untitled Howard Story · ss Bran Mak Morn: The Last King, Wandering Star, 2001
- · Appendices
- 323 · Robert E. Howard and the Picts: A Chronology · Misc. · ms
- 343 · Robert E. Howard, Bran Mak Morn and the Picts · Rusty Burke & Patrice Louinet · ar
- 361 · Notes on the Oruginal Howard Texts · Misc. · ms
- 369 · Sketches · Gary Gianni · pi
Bran Mak Morn: The Last King Robert E. Howard (SFBC #1185618, Jul 2005, $12.99, 375 + xxiii, hc, cover by Gary Gianni) Reprint (Wandering Star 2001) collection, illustrated by Gary Gianni. This follows the trade paperback Del Rey first US edition, which reproduces the original color plates in b&w; it has ISBN 0-7394-5460-9, lacks a price, and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian Robert E. Howard (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-48385-5, Dec 2005, $29.95, 457 +xxv, hc, cover by Mark Schultz) [Conan] Reprint (Wandering Star 2003 as Robert E. Howards Complete Conan of Cimmeria, Volume One (1932-1933)) collection of the first 13 Conan stories, plus notes and drafts by Howard; edited by Patrice Louinet. Illustrated by Mark Schultz, with the color plates.
The Conquering Sword of Conan Robert E. Howard (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-46153-3, Dec 2005, $14.95, 394 + xxi, tp, cover by Gregory Manchess) [Conan] Collection of five stories plus notes, drafts, synopses, and other miscellaneous items. Illustrated in b&w by Gregory Manchess, who also provides a foreword. According to the copyright page, this is published by arrangement with Wandering Star Books, and the introduction by editor Patrice Louinet calls this the third volume of their Robert E. Howards Complete Conan of Cimmeria series, but no Wandering Star UK edition has yet appeared.
- xv · Foreword · Gregory Manchess · fw
- xvii · Introduction · Patrice Louinet · in
- · The Servants of Bit-Yakin [Jewels of Gwahlur] · nv Weird Tales Mar 35
- 431 · Beyond the Black River · na Weird Tales May 35 (+1)
- 751 · The Black Stranger · na Echoes of Valor, ed. Karl Edward Wagner, Tor, 1987
- · The Man-Eaters of Zamboula [Shadows in Zamboula] · nv Weird Tales Nov 35
- 505 · Red Nails · na Weird Tales Jul 36 (+2)
- · Miscellanea
- · Untitled Notes · ms
- 862 · Wolves Beyond the Border, Draft A · uw
- 862 · Wolves Beyond the Border, Draft B · uw
- · The Black Stranger, Symopsis A · uw
- · The Black Stranger, Symopsis B · uw
- · The Man-Eaters of Zamboula, Synopsis · uw
- 505 · Red Nails, Draft · uw
- · Ephemera
- · Letter to P. Schuyler Miller · lt
- · Map of the Hyborian Age · mp
- · Appendices
- 369 · Hyborian Genesis Part III, Notes on the Creation of the Conan Stories · Patrice Louinet · ar
- 387 · Notes on the Conan Typescripts and the Chronology · Patrice Louinet · ms
- 389 · Notes on the Original Howard Texts · Misc. · ms
The End of the Trail: Western Stories Robert E. Howard (University of Nebraska Press/Bison Books 0-8032-7356-8, Apr 2005, $17.95, 320 + xviii, tp, cover by Jim & Ruth Keegan) Associational collection of 17 stories, one with an alternate ending provided, and three poems. Edited and with an introduction by Rusty Burke. Part of The Works of Robert E. Howard series. A hardcover edition (-2424-9, $35.00) is also available.
- ix · Introduction · Rusty Burke · in (*), 2005
- 1 · Golden Hope Christmas · ss The Tattler Dec 22 22
- 6 · Drums of the Sunset · nv The Cross Plains Review Nov 2 28 (+8)
- 37 · The Extermination of Yellow Donory · ss Zane Greys Western Magazine Jun 70
- 47 · The Judgment of the Desert [Showdown at Hells Canyon] · ss The Vultures, Fictioneer, 1973
- 75 · Gunmans Debt [Grizzly Elkins] · ss The Last Ride, Zebra, 1978
- 95 · The Man on the Ground · ss Weird Tales Jul 33
- 101 · The Sand-Hills Crest · pm A Robert E. Howard Memorial: June 13-15, 1986, 1986
- 103 · The Devils Joker [Sonora Kid] · ss Cross Plains #6 75
- 112 · Knife, Bullet and Noose [Sonora Kid] · ss The Howard Collector Spr 65
- 123 · Law-Shooters of Cowtown [Grizzly Elkins] · ss Cross Plains #4 74
- 132 · The Last Ride [Boot-Hill Payoff] · Robert E. Howard & Robert Enders Allen · na Western Aces Oct 35
- 186 · John Ringold · pm The Howard Collector Sum 64
- 187 · Vultures of Wahpeton · na Smashing Novels Magazine Dec 36
- 261 · Vultures of Wahpeton: Alternate ending · ms
- 264 · Vultures Sanctuary · nv Argosy Nov 28 36
- 282 · The Dead Remember · ss Argosy Aug 15 36
- 290 · The Ghost of Camp Colorado · ar Texaco Star Apr 31
- 294 · The Strange Case of Josiah Wilbarger [The Apparition of Josiah Wilbarger] · ar West Sep 67
- 298 · Beyond the Brazos River · ms; letter excerpts.
- 303 · Billy the Kid and the Lincoln County War · ms; letter excerpts.
- 316 · The Ballad of Bucksnort Roberts · pm Rhymes of Death, Dennis McHaney, 1975
- 319 · Source Acknowledgements · Misc. · ms